The Fantasmic! Dinner Package

Knowing that Hollywood Studios does not house the best of Disney eateries, I’m curious to know whether anyone would recommend any of the three restaurants which allows VIP entry to the Fantasmic! show.

Out of the three options:

The Hollywood Brown Derby
Mama Melrose’s Italian Restaurant
Hollywood & Vine

which would you choose to gain VIP entry to the show or would you take your chances and wait the 90 minutes for standard entry?

Thanks.

I can’t give you advise on the choices because I’ve never eaten at any of those places. I have been wanting to try mommas but not sure if we should.

I think it depends on your situation. If I had young kids, I think I would try the package. My DH and I ate at Holly and Vine 2 yrs ago. The food was OK, but the place was very loud. We did the package cause we had the DDP and we wanted to try H & V anyway. I don’t know if it’s still true, but back then if the show was cancelled you were out of luck. No rain checks. I think that’s unfair.

I don’t think we would do H&V again, better places to eat, but again it was OK.

We’ve done Hollywood and Vine with the Fantasmic package, but I wouldn’t recommend it. The food overall was good. Selection was good, food was hot, service was good, but not an outstanding restaurant. The entry to Fantasmic was a nice perk, but not something that was required to get in for a good seat.
I would only suggest the package if you are going at a very busy time of year, and I would try one of the other two restaurants.

Hi all,

I've heard a lot about Fantasmic show but no actual description of what it is.  Can someone describe it for me please?  Also, I am on the free dining plan so can I use a TS credit for the meal and still get special entry to the show?  Please someone help me.  

Kim~clueless

Fantasmic is the HS version of a fireworks show. But it is much, much more. It is a performance, very reminiscent of Fantasia, with the most amazing special effects: walls of water with projections on them, real characters, a boat, lots of action, lots of characters, it really is Fantasmic! A must see, my very favorite nighttime show.

We did the Brown Derby with the Fantasmic package on our January trip. It was excellent! Would definitely go again!

We ate at Mama Melrose last time and it was ok. Very much like a typical chain Italian-American restaurant. Our appetizers were the best part of the meal and the sangria was pretty good too. We’ll probably go back there because H&V is a buffet and I just really don’t like Disney dinner buffets. I’ve been to Brown Derby once and was less than impressed but that’s been at least 10 years ago so I can’t speak for how it might be now.

We’ve eaten at Mama’s before and will do it again this trip, it is ok, but to be honest, HS restaurants stink in my opinion. This time around we are doing the Fantasmic package (hopefully), but have not done it before.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;957531]I think it depends on your situation. If I had young kids, I think I would try the package. My DH and I ate at Holly and Vine 2 yrs ago. The food was OK, but the place was very loud. We did the package cause we had the DDP and we wanted to try H & V anyway. I don’t know if it’s still true, but back then if the show was cancelled you were out of luck. No rain checks. I think that’s unfair.
I don’t think we would do H&V again, better places to eat, but again it was OK.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that was the case when we were there in 07. Our Fantasmic! show was cancelled due to rain and we had to wait in the normal line to see it another night. Pretty crappy but I understand. Though, now that we’ll be traveling with a baby, we probably won’t bother with waiting in the line another night if it’s cancelled again. I just don’t know that our LO has the patience.

We’ve done Hollywood and Vine with the Fantasmic package, which was pretty good. However, we are not picky eaters! We eventually want to try, and have heard great reviews about, The Hollywood Brown Derby.

I think it depends on when you’re traveling as to whether you should purchase the Fantasmic package. However, they’ve recently cut back on Fantasmic showings, so the package might be a good idea.

Now for restaurants… I’ve eaten at the Hollywood Brown Derby and was honestly not impressed. My dad got the Cobb Salad, which is apparently one of their infamous entrees, and it was a huge disappointment. The leaves were clumpy and it seemed old. My sister also chose a disappointing entree. My food, however, was fine (I believe I got salmon). Nothing to write home about, though.

I haven’t eaten at Hollywood and Vine since Minnie and friends were there, but the food was decent buffet food, and the characters are fun. If your DS is into Playhouse Disney, I would suggest dining here.

I haven’t eaten at Mama Melrose’s recently, so I don’t have any input. I don’t remember a thing about it.

I think they chose those three restaurants because they were the less popular ones at DHS. The other two: Prime Time and Sci Fi are always packed.

But honestly, there really are no BAD restaurants in Disney. I’ve been to all three of the FDP places and the only one we didn’t like was BD. But everyone has different opinions on what’s good and what isn’t.

I have done both H&V and Mama Melrose and my family prefers H&V. First of all it is an all you can eat buffet with kid friendly items as well as those entrees more preferred by adults. Lots of yummy desserts, quick and friendly service. We were not impressed with Mama’s at all. Mediocre food, so-so service, and they screwed up our dining credits which took more than a half hour to sort out. I defenitely recommend doing the package because you have to eat somewhere anyway, it doesn’t cost anything extra and it is great not to have to wait to get in , especially with kids. Especially now that the show is only a couple times a week.

We ate at Mama Melrose in Dec 08 and enjoyed our dinner. I would not recommend H&V, but then again others like it.

Just like everything else we all have many varied opinions on MB. This is why I enjoy reading the most recent threads daily.

We DW and I did MM 3 trips ago (mid March 08). Slow time of the year I know but the food, service and atmosphere were great. It was just the 2 of us and we took it because we were hungry when we hopped from AK to HS. We would go back again. I have a friend who swears by the BD and would not go anywhere else. And HV is a buffet which we do not usually do.
Unfortunately my overall favorite would have been 50’s PTC but it is not on the list. I have read many negatine comments about the cast not making it as enjoyable as in the past. I don’t go there for the food, but the CM’s ALWAYS made it worth the time.

Oh my! I’m even more confused now than before the post. What to do?

Brown Derby is rated higher than the other two. But, that doesn’t completely help me. Sigh!

I still don’t understand one thing. If I go to one of the restaurants and use a TS credit will that include admission to the show? When September hours are listed for the parks does it include the times that Fantasmic are scheduled for? I don’t book my ADRs for a month and I’m already starting to feel overwhelmed LOL

Kim

[QUOTE=kimblebee;957601]I still don’t understand one thing. If I go to one of the restaurants and use a TS credit will that include admission to the show? When September hours are listed for the parks does it include the times that Fantasmic are scheduled for? I don’t book my ADRs for a month and I’m already starting to feel overwhelmed LOL

Kim[/QUOTE]

Yes, your dining reservation includes advanced seating for Fantasmic! so you don’t have to wait in the normal line to get seats. It’s a great perk since it’s recommended you get in line about an hour before showtime to get better seats. Granted, you still have to show up early for the VIP admission but at least you can sit instead of waiting in a line! Show times for evening presentations should be posted with park hours but if they’re not, I think there are set evenings that Fantasmic! is done right now. I’m sure someone here knows those exact days. I’m anxiously awaiting park hours for Sept so I can finalize our itinerary so I can make ADR’s on June 18.

I’m just ahead of you for booking. My date is June 13. It’s a Saturday and I have to wake up at 5:45 to get ready to start dialing just before 6. Can’t think of a better way to spend a Saturday morning : )

Kim