DNiece I[/I]
DN’s DH I[/I]
DH
DD [I](Almost 2)[/I]
And myself

Setting:
5/2/09 - 5/9/09 Charlotte, NC & Orlando, FL

[B]Introduction/Back story:[/B]
DNiece and her DH have an almost 1 year old who they were leaving at home with DN’s Mom & Stepdad. They wanted to take her and then they didn’t. DN went back and forth on this. But, we’re all thankful that she didn’t. You have to have an easy going kid to take to Disney, and their little one is a fuss bucket, to put things mildly.

DB is immature and pitches fits like a 3 yr old. I know we can’t go a week without at least one of his fits. (Boy was I right… keep reading).

The night before our trip, we put DD to bed at 5pm. We wanted to make sure she got about her regular amount of sleep that night.

[B]Day 1[/B]
Our day started at 4 am. I got up and got ready, and then woke DH up. We packed the few last minute things, and then got DD up. Surprisingly, DD was in a fantastic mood. She’s usually not when WE wake HER up. But, I think she was so excited to see Mickey, that she didn’t care to be crabby.

DF, DM, DB, DN, and DN’s DH arrived at our house at about 5 am. DH loaded our stuff into DM’s car and we were ready to go.

We arrived at the airport parking lot within about 10 minutes. Our house isn’t that far away from it. Once we started unloading the car, I realized I didn’t have the diaper bag. I knew I couldn’t make it out of the house without forgetting something. So, well tell everyone else to just hang out inside the airport and we’ll be back ASAP. DM & DF keep DD with them so we can be even quicker. DH warns me that everyone is gonna be upset with me for forgetting something (and I could tell he was upset too). I realize this, but it was an accident. Big deal, people make mistakes. No one else noticed that I was leaving it sitting on the table.

After about 15-20 minutes, we reach curbside check in, where the rest of group is still waiting. We check our bags and go through security. Not long after breakfast, we board the plane and head off to WDW, about 20 minutes later than our original departure time.

DB, DN, and DN’s DH had never been on a plane. I think they were all nervous. DD had never been on a plane either, but she was ok. It was a smooth flight and everyone did fine. DD’s ears started to hurt on the descent and she cried a little.

We get into MCO, hop aboard DME and then arrive at our resort: The Polynesian.

I had done online check in for our 3 rooms, so we were hoping the rooms would be ready. DF’s and my room was ready. DN’s room was not. DN was fuming. She kept complaining about her room not being ready. I explain that we have to take our stuff to the room and get going, because us 3 ladies have a spa appointment.

We drop off our stuff, and I tell DH to try to get DD to take a nap. Then DM, DN, and I hop aboard the monorail to the Grand Floridian (we would find out later that this would be a mistake). We had to wander around a few minutes, then asked someone to show us where it was. It would have been closer to walk! Anyway, we check in and the lady at the desk says “I had back to back appointments. It may be a shortened service. Let me see what I can do.” We were about 15 minutes late, something that we couldn’t have controlled. The lady comes back out and says that they can take us. We file in to the lounge and they call us almost immediately.

I have only had 2 manicures in my life, and have never had a pedicure, so this was going to be something unusual for me. I picked my nail color and sat in the comfy chair. I put my feet in the warm water and relaxed. I wanted to fall asleep. Between the pampering, the water, and the relaxing music, I was just in heaven. Mommies need to treat themselves to stuff like that once in a while I think. Although, I think I will skip the pedicure next time – I am far too ticklish on my feet. My nail technician laughed about me being ticklish.

After our spa treatment, we walked back to the room. DH had called and said our luggage was there, but one of DM’s bags was missing. He said they were going to ask about it. I had to get back to open our luggage though, because I had the keys to the locks, haha, oops.

We get back to the Poly, and DN’s room is ready. But, their luggage hasn’t made it there yet. DM’s bag is still missing too.

We hang around the resort for a while, waiting on their luggage. Still no sign of it after a while, so they go to the check-in desk to ask about it. Everyone is getting really hungry by this point, so we decide to go upstairs to Kona Café to eat.

We were seated immediately and order our drinks. While we are sitting there, the power in Kona goes off. We all look at the menu and try to decide what we want. DH and I make our decisions quickly. A lot of stuff looks good. And here’s where the drama started. DN looks at the menu and makes comments like “I don’t know what appetizer I would get. I don’t see anything I’d eat.” DH tries to help and says “You don’t like chicken wings. They have those.” She proceeds to pick out an ingredient of it and says “Yeah but I don’t eat that.” DB does pretty much the same thing, but voices his opinion less.

The waitress comes back with our drinks and says that their grill is down and all they have are salads. The manager comes by and we ask how long it might be. He has no idea. So we all leave. Have no fear, they said drinks were on the house so we didn’t need to pay for them.

We decide to just stick with our plan of going to DtD. We walk to the resort’s bus stop and wait on a DtD bus. DN asks “How long does the bus take?” I say, “I think they run every 15-20 minutes. I’m not sure though.” A few minutes later she asks “How many buses are there?” DH looks at the sign and counts the ones they have listed “Looks like 5.” (because there are 5 destinations listed). We tell DN that the bus will say Downtown Disney on the front and that’s the one we’ll get on. We apparently appeased her with our answers, until the bus shows up. The bus sign blinks “Typhoon Lagoon/Downtown Disney” and she says “I thought it had only one stop!” DH and I look at each other and mumble “What does it matter? My gosh!”

We get to DtD Marketplace and look at the sign. We try to figure out someplace to eat. I suggest EOS because I hear it’s good and they have sandwiches. DN retorts “I just want a place where I can get a cheeseburger and fries!” Wow. Sorry. I say something like “Not sure where you can find that.” DN, DN’s DH, and DB walk off. The rest of us head over to EOS and eat. The food was ok, but the portion size was small. DH and I didn’t get full off of that. I doubt I’ll go back.

After lunch, we all shopped for a while, then DF and DM had to go pick up their tickets to La Nouba. They were going to it with the rest of group that walked off. DH and I decided that we didn’t think DD would sit through it, and that we just didn’t care to see it at the moment. We told DM & DF bye and we stopped in a few more shops, before catching the bus back to the Poly.

DD fell asleep on the bus. We’d soon find out, it was her favorite place to nap. Once we got back to the resort, she woke up. With a quick stop at the room, we unloaded a few purchases and headed off to MK via monorail.

I really wanted DD to see SpectroMagic. She loves lights so I thought she’d really enjoy it. We arrived at MK at about 7:30-8 pm, and people were already lined up along main street. DH and I decided to go back into Frontierland, where we normally watch the parade. We searched for a while, but found a spot big enough for me to sit right up front, with DD on my lap. DH sat behind us on a wall.

DD got very antsy before the parade, but luckily it was manageable. Once the parade started, she was ok. Although she was terrified at those fish and guys on top of those balls. Anything that seems like it is coming toward her just scares her. Once those passed, she wanted Daddy, since he was farther away from them, haha. She saw Ariel and was waving like crazy. She saw Captain Hook and DH told her to wave. She said “No. Cap’n Hook mean.” Hahaha!

I’ll never forget the look on her face when the end of the parade came through and she saw Minnie. She was waving so hard that it looked like her little arm might fall off. It was so sweet.

We were heading out of MK, when DM called and we met up with them. Then the fireworks started and we hung around to view them. DD LOVED the “pireworks” as she called them. It was at least 2 hours past her bedtime and she was as happy as could be.

After Wishes, we got in the long line for the monorail. And not far behind us was DB, DN, and DN’s DH. DB said “I’m never coming back to this place again. We’ve been trying to get out of this place for 2 hours.” I was thinking if they can’t get out of MK, they are going to die in AK. This was the first clue that their group had no sense of direction. So, needless to say DB was in one of his moods.

We got back to the Poly not long after that, and DD was still wide awake. We let her run around til she got tired and til we got ready to lay down.

DM called and said that their bag showed up. It looked like it had been ran over. Her hairspray was gone, a few things busted, so they put it all in a new bag that they had bought them. We’d later find out that the airport did this, not Disney.

We had got the bedrails for DD earlier in the day, but they weren’t working out. She would stand on the bed and we were afraid she’d just fall off. So, DH laid down with her at about 11:30 pm and she immediately went to sleep. DD made it from 4 am to 11:30 pm. Amazing.

Pictures from Day 1

DD holding her ears on the plane:

We’re here!

DH in the Polynesian lobby:

The “Alligador” that DD saw (she ADORES alligators):

Our first glimpse of Mr. Mouse:

And there’s Minnie:

DD waving to Minnie:

DD pointing at the “pireworks”:

Ah, she is so sweet - I hope you are able to separate from the trouble makers later in the trip…sheesh! Sometimes Disney is best enjoyed with just your “little family”!

I love the photo, it reminds me of our DD on the aircraft that ear discomfort is unpleasant. But shes so cute! I hope we see more of her.
Great TR, I am so jealous of the GF spa, would you do it again? was it worth the trip over there?
And I was sorry about the missing bags, that happened to us once too, its all too familiar sadly.
Look forward to more!

[QUOTE=dixie;958691]I love the photo, it reminds me of our DD on the aircraft that ear discomfort is unpleasant. But shes so cute! I hope we see more of her.
Great TR, I am so jealous of the GF spa, would you do it again? was it worth the trip over there?
And I was sorry about the missing bags, that happened to us once too, its all too familiar sadly.
Look forward to more![/QUOTE]

I would definitely do the spa again. I had a paper that listed the amount of time each thing takes and how much it is, but I lost it along the way. Fantastic thing to do. I think next time I would do a massage though or at least wait til the last day to to the mani/pedi. I did notice they have an instructional couples massage. I hinted at DH that we should do that next time! :wub:

Awe! Your DD is adorable! I can’t wait for more.
I applaud you for going to WDW with a big group. Dave and I have talked about it and considered it many times but we don’t think we could ever do it.

Nice report. YOur little girl is precious.

[QUOTE=cinderbella;958697]Awe! Your DD is adorable! I can’t wait for more.
I applaud you for going to WDW with a big group. Dave and I have talked about it and considered it many times but we don’t think we could ever do it.[/QUOTE]

You MUST have an easy going group. Otherwise, it will never work. Trust me, the reasons are to come in my TR.

Thank you! We think so too. :wub:

Omg, Emma is SO cute!!! You are a more patient person than I because when that DtD/Typhoon Lagoon bus came I would have convinced your DN to get off at Typhoon Lagoon & left her there. :laugh:

UGGGHHH, grill down at Kona?!?! What a bummer.

Oh, and I totally agree with you about EoS! We always loved what we ordered there but it’s more of like a small lunch when we’re not too terribly hungry.

Great TR! Your daughter is too cute.

You’re very brave for going with a big group. The last time my parents and I did that, it was a big mistake.

Isn’t that the truth. My first DVC trip I went with 9 other people and it was horrible!!!

i know just how you feel about the family! thats why i will NEVEr again take mine. Looking foward to more TR

The only way to go with a large group, is to all do your own thing during the day and them meet up for ADRs and discuss what you did! I went with my parents this weekend, and I LOVE them to death, but THANK GOD I am a frequent flyer at Disney, because they sloooooowed me way down! :blush:

On Sunday, we pointed Mom in the direction of DTD, so she could shop in the comfort of A/C and Grandpa, the girls and I hit the park! (way better, everyone was happy!:happy:)

Your little one is sooooo cute! Can’t wait to see more pictures!! :happy:

What a little cutie pie she is!!! And I have learned that traveling with others is extremely difficult unless the gameplan is discussed and expectations are laid out… Jen’s suggestion is a good one for all of us in the future, and Wishy’s idea would have worked well for you :ph34r::laugh:

By the way, I am looking forward to more!!

So happy that you had a wonderful trip overall…I will have to try EOS next time I am there. But you are brave going with such a larger group…more than I would be…

TOO CUTE!! I hope you didn’t let the others bring down your entire trip. We’ve vacationed with my DH’s parents so much that we all know how we get. When we need a break from each other, we head off in different directions & then meet back up later. That way everyone gets a break, gets to do what they want & no one’s feelings get hurt! Mind you, it’s taken us a few trips to work this out but now we all travel pretty well together! Hope it get better! How can you NOT love WDW?!?!

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;958714]Omg, Emma is SO cute!!! You are a more patient person than I because when that DtD/Typhoon Lagoon bus came I would have convinced your DN to get off at Typhoon Lagoon & left her there. :laugh:

UGGGHHH, grill down at Kona?!?! What a bummer.

Oh, and I totally agree with you about EoS! We always loved what we ordered there but it’s more of like a small lunch when we’re not too terribly hungry.[/QUOTE]

Oh how I wanted to get rid of her already, but DH told me to just calm down a little. But he’d get his fill of that little group later…

Day 2 will be added when DD naps in an hour or so - hopefully.

So glad you were only ten mins away from the airport. But shee , don’t you love it how YOU are responsible for 7 thousand things and one little slip and it’s ALL YOUR FAULT, you are messing up the trip.:glare:

Such a cutie pie.

Good report, I’m going to make my lunch, I’ll be back for the next update. No pressure though.:happy:

[QUOTE=jo-jo;958953]So glad you were only ten mins away from the airport. But shee , don’t you love it how YOU are responsible for 7 thousand things and one little slip and it’s ALL YOUR FAULT, you are messing up the trip.:glare:

Such a cutie pie.

Good report, I’m going to make my lunch, I’ll be back for the next update. No pressure though.:happy:[/QUOTE]

OMG I KNOW! Forget how much stuff you have to pack just to go to the grocery store with a little one, let alone for 8 days! And yes I occasionally forget something on even a grocery trip, and it always irritates DH that I do. Like I said, no one else noticed, so it wasn’t 100% my fault. Was it mostly my fault? Sure, but not entirely.