The insider's complete guide to Disney World

I came across this article this morning and I thought I would share it with you all. There are some REALLY good tips listed in it as well! I too come from the Tampa Bay area and I have been to Disney literally hundreds of times as well (compared to the author of the story) and I still learned something new from this article (we all know that lovely “overused” cliche)!

But the one thing that I learned from this author begs the question: Is it unethical to forgo “paying for parking at the parks” (that is, if you’re not an annual passholder or if you’re not staying at one of the Disney resorts) by parking across the street from the Boardwalk Resort in their overflow parking lot because it’s “free”?

I mean, I never knew that specific parking lot even existed! But I have to say, it’s a genius location considering that you can walk to EPCOT from the Boardwalk resort, take a ferry to HS, jump on a bus to AK, and/or take the monorail to MK (if you have a park hopper or seasonal pass that is & you want to walk through EPCOT to get there) or take a bus there if you wish… Plus, you get to enjoy the Boardwalk area and Downtown Disney is a hop, skip & a jump from there as well…

Anyways, here is the link to said article. Enjoy :mickey:

The insider’s complete guide to Disney World - todaytravel - Family - TODAYshow.com

some interesting points that people will like such as free parking. :wacko: this is one of my bigest arguments with friends and family of why you should stay on site.

20 to 30 min trip from some i-Drive hotels then $14 parking and still have a long walk back to your car.

[QUOTE=jimbo;1067984]some interesting points that people will like such as free parking. :wacko: this is one of my bigest arguments with friends and family of why you should stay on site.

20 to 30 min trip from some i-Drive hotels then $14 parking and still have a long walk back to your car.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%!

Sometimes “convenience” is worth the extra dough…

It is unethical and your car runs a risk of being towed to boot because that is the self parking lot for the Boardwalk and cars should have parking passes displayed.
If someone decides to enforce the rules, you’re certain to end your day the Grumpy way.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1068020]It is unethical and your car runs a risk of being towed to boot because that is the self parking lot for the Boardwalk and cars should have parking passes displayed.
If someone decides to enforce the rules, you’re certain to end your day the Grumpy way.[/QUOTE]

I seem to remember reading that in the fall (F&W), disney really checks for those parking permits. People who are staying at BW can’t find a parking spot because of all those outside people.

The “free parking” sounds pretty sketch…

And that’s got to add a lot of transportation time to your visit. Better get there with plenty of time to spare!

That is a very grey area, and I agree with you. But, you have to consider the ppl that have ressies at the restaurants. Granted they may only be there for a few hours as opposed to all day but it still takes up a spot.

I remember last summer we had a ressie at kona and the lot was FULL :ohmy: so I gave up and went back across the street and just walked over instead. Of course that meant it killed our “happy hour”, but we managed lol. Not sure if BW offers this but at Poly they have 2 lots, 1 for registered guests ONLY and the other for registered and visiting guests. With so much available at the BW other than the hotel they have to allot for extras to park there, don’t they?

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1068081]That is a very grey area, and I agree with you. But, you have to consider the ppl that have ressies at the restaurants. Granted they may only be there for a few hours as opposed to all day but it still takes up a spot.

I remember last summer we had a ressie at kona and the lot was FULL :ohmy: so I gave up and went back across the street and just walked over instead. Of course that meant it killed our “happy hour”, but we managed lol. Not sure if BW offers this but at Poly they have 2 lots, 1 for registered guests ONLY and the other for registered and visiting guests. With so much available at the BW other than the hotel they have to allot for extras to park there, don’t they?[/QUOTE]

I’ve never really looked into the parking situation at disney, because we never had a car there, but I would hope they have some way to check if a person has a meal at a hotel restaurant. Maybe they figure 3 hours is enough for a meal and to hang around the boardwalk for a bit. I really don’t know how it’s done. And what happens if you parked for a breakfast ADR and didn’t come back until after the fireworks? Does disney let the air out of your tires? Again, we’ve never had a reason to find out any details for this situation, so I’m in the dark.

I’m a AP holder, so parking has never been an issue for me… But I can tell you that whenever we have gone to a resort that we were NOT staying at, we were never provided with a “resort specific” parking pass.

What happens is, as we pull up to the security guard at the resort gate, we always tell them what we are doing there such as: “dining reservations”, “just here to visit”, etc… and then we are directed to the appropriate parking area.

For example, when we were visiting the GF during the Holidays to see that fantastic ginger bread house, the security guard directed me to the parking area across the street from the resort. We hung out at the GF for probably 4 hours or so, and then we returned to our vehicle. Now keep in mind, this was a very busy time of year and I did not see any security personnel rolling around in a golf kart to keep track of the vehicles in said lot.

So from my experience, I have never seen anything enforced whatsoever.

Now, as I mentioned, I have no need to take advantage of the situation because I’m a passholder and 90% of the time when we visit the resorts on the Disney premises, we are most likely staying at a resort ourselves. But I do find it to be VERY interesting that an author representing “Arthur Frommer’s Budget Travel” advocates the use of free parking at the various locations listed in the article…

Very interesting indeed :closedeye

[QUOTE=papa bear;1067968]But the one thing that I learned from this author begs the question: Is it unethical to forgo “paying for parking at the parks” (that is, if you’re not an annual passholder or if you’re not staying at one of the Disney resorts) by parking across the street from the Boardwalk Resort in their overflow parking lot because it’s “free”?

I mean, I never knew that specific parking lot even existed! But I have to say, it’s a genius location considering that you can walk to EPCOT from the Boardwalk resort, take a ferry to HS, jump on a bus to AK, and/or take the monorail to MK (if you have a park hopper or seasonal pass that is & you want to walk through EPCOT to get there) or take a bus there if you wish… Plus, you get to enjoy the Boardwalk area and Downtown Disney is a hop, skip & a jump from there as well…[/QUOTE]

Only if you have a refillable mug from 1987. :laugh:

I think the parking fees are nuts but I’ve also stayed at resorts where you can’t find a place to park when you are paying premiuim $$$ to stay on site. There is no free parking for resort guest either - they pay for it in their nightly rate. Some guests are paying over $1k per night!!! All it takes is some complaining and suddenly WDW security and tow trucks are showing up.

This is the same as parking at DTD then jumping over to SSR to catch the bus to save parking. It takes up parking from vaild guests. Sure, you can save $14 but is it REALLY worth it? The walk is much further and is it worth the risk of being towed? One $200 tow and a $50 cab ride to get your car back - I’m guessing not.

I thought I’d posted this question yesterday, but I think I didn’t hit post after I composed it.

Has anyone ever seen Walt Disney World for Dummies or the Idiot’s Guide to Disney World?
If not, do you think we should collaborate on one?

(This isn’t really a joke)

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1068104]I thought I’d posted this question yesterday, but I think I didn’t hit post after I composed it.

Has anyone ever seen Walt Disney World for Dummies or the Idiot’s Guide to Disney World?

(This isn’t really a joke)[/QUOTE]

I’ve never seen either of those published and think it’s a great idea- simple tips make for an almost stress free holiday- and sometimes its the plainest info that is the most beneficial-

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1068104]I thought I’d posted this question yesterday, but I think I didn’t hit post after I composed it.

Some folks already beat us to it. :laugh:

Walt Disney World & Orlando For Dummies, 9th Edition:Book Information - For Dummies

The Complete Idiot?s Guide to Walt Disney World, 2010 - Doug Ingersoll - Paperback (ISBN 9781592578887) - Buy Books, Music and Movies at Borders

I’ve never seen one but we (MBers) could definetly write a GREAT one!!!

Okay then we should still write a guide book, let’s see:

Walt Disney World The Mousebuzz Way: By Disney Addicts For Disney Addicts

[QUOTE=Willbegone;1068116]Okay then we should still write a guide book, let’s see:

Walt Disney World The Mousebuzz Way: By Disney Addicts For Disney Addicts[/QUOTE]

I need a like button like on Facebook! Love this! :laugh:

[QUOTE=missymouse;1068113]Some folks already beat us to it. :laugh:

Walt Disney World & Orlando For Dummies, 9th Edition:Book Information - For Dummies

The Complete Idiot?s Guide to Walt Disney World, 2010 - Doug Ingersoll - Paperback (ISBN 9781592578887) - Buy Books, Music and Movies at Borders[/QUOTE]

Aw drat! and I’d already spent my millions from my contribution:laugh:

Paintbrush hunt on Tom Sawyer Island is new news to me!

and me! and we both should know after all our visits:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I’m definitely a little more than bothered by the thought of guests driving in and parking in a free lot and then taking advantage of Disney transportation when they’re not staying on-site (I’m assuming this is what the article meant). I’ve always been a little surprised that you don’t have to flash your Key to the World when getting on Disney transportation. It couldn’t possibly add more than a few seconds per stop if the attendent/driver (depending on the form of transportation) does a quick glance at guests holding up the unmistakable card. Sorry, rambling.