The Last Lecture-- Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams!

I’m sure most of you have seen or heard about this. But I just recently got the book, and I cannot wait to read it! It sounds utterly amazing.
[I]
"On September 18, 2007, computer science professor Randy Pausch stepped in front of an audience of 400 people at Carnegie Mellon University to deliver a last lecture called “Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams.” With slides of his CT scans beaming out to the audience, Randy told his audience about the cancer that is devouring his pancreas and that will claim his life in a matter of months. On the stage that day, Randy was youthful, energetic, handsome, often cheerfully, darkly funny. He seemed invincible. But this was a brief moment, as he himself acknowledged.

Randy’s lecture has become a phenomenon, as has the book he wrote based on the same principles, celebrating the dreams we all strive to make realities. Sadly, Randy lost his battle to pancreatic cancer on July 25th, 2008, but his legacy will continue to inspire us all, for generations to come. "[/I]

One thing I know for sure is that everyone I’ve ever met that worked for Disney has the most amazing lectures and speeches, ones that you just want to listen to forever… and this is one of them.

Here’s a link to the Youtube page to watch the Last Lecture: Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams:

YouTube - Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams

Here’s a link to the Last Lecture website:

The Last Lecture | Randy Pausch

He was an amazing man, his life was too short.

I haven’t read the book, but I have watched the You Tube video and it is truly a humbling experience. He was a wonderful family man, full of good humour and the retrospect wisdom that sometimes comes when facing immenent death. I am sure you will find it a very enlightening book Stacey- let us know your thoughts when you’re finished reading it.

It’s incredibly true. I can’t believe I’ve never heard of this before. I saw a rememberance to him last night on World News, and the segment of his speech the aired gave me goosebumps.

Since then I’ve been researching everything I can, and I bought the book, haven’t read it yet. But I think it’s going to become one of my favorites.

Definitely! I will most certainly let you know!

This is also an extremely good book on learning leadership skills and chasing your dreams-- even before you knew what they were! Written be a man who worked high up in the Disney Company and at both WDW and DL for many reasons!

It’s my favorite non-fiction book ever! (That may be only until I read The Last Lecture though! :blush:)

It’s by Lee Cockerell. You can find it online, at any bookstore nationwide and the Magic Kingdom, DTD! I’m sure at DL as well!

ALSO:

Here are links to a 5 part interview Diane Sawyer did with Randy on ABC primetime… it’s a great interview!

Each part is about 7-8 mins long!

PART 1:
YouTube - Randy Pausch (The Last Lecture) April 2008 interview part 1

PART 2:
YouTube - Randy Pausch (The Last Lecture) April 2008 interview part 2

PART 3:
YouTube - Randy Pausch (The Last Lecture) April 2008 interview part 3

PART 4:
YouTube - Randy Pausch (The Last Lecture) April 2008 interview part 4

PART 5:
YouTube - Randy Pausch (The Last Lecture) April 2008 interview part 5

I followed this story closely when it was going on and to have the composure and courage that this man had was incredible.

I can’t believe it’s been (almost) 2 years since he died. :frowning:

I have the audiobook version of his speech. It’s truly amazing.

[QUOTE=Kippage;1038128]I can’t believe it’s been (almost) 2 years since he died. :frowning:

I have the audiobook version of his speech. It’s truly amazing.[/QUOTE]

That is great. I want one! I have watched every interview I could find on this. As well as his original lecture, and the lecture Carneigh gave when he passed.

Truly amazing.