The magic band mess!

I am not very happy about this Magic band stuff… Mostly because I have a husband that is only able to come for two days of out trip… So, we tried to add him late to our 9 day reservation- can’t add him, or we pay for all of it. Ridiculous… Then, there is no way to add him to our fast pass times if we buy a magic band. I know you can get them 30 days out, but it is insane that I cannot add him 1. to our reservation, and 2. to my fast passes… This really affects my vacation. really. I am going to complain about this… With all of their planning, you have eliminated my family member from participating in our vacation. UGH!

Wait…why can’t you add him to your reservation??? You can connect the magic bands… Even if you show up at the resort and they hand you a gray band, they should be able to get you connected…and I wonder if a CM can’t get you FP times close to what the est have? Did you call and ask? This is all confusing to me…and not what I have been reading elsewhere. I’m sorry it’s become such a mess…

I’m not sure about the pay for all of it. Is that because you are on a package or dining plan? If that’s the reason, order the couple of days tickets from Undercover Tourist for him and when checking in, ask for a room key card (they are suppose to still give if requested.) He can then use that for access to the room. Have him set up a MDE account and link the tickets and invite him to share plans. After he accepts the invite you can see him on your account. Then at 30 days out, you should be able to copy your fp+ to his seeing he will be considered off site.

I think that will work around your problem.

To hijack your thread a bit…I’ve mentioned about my extend family MAY be coming and I didn’t want to deal with the mess. So we are a month out, they still don’t have tickets, rooms, etc…but I can see a mess if they decide let’s go on ride together. Yes, I know we can wait in standby, but I’d rather not do that with two 2 yr olds.

Now that everybody is now included with MB/FP+, I want to hear from people who previously stated “this is great, I can change fast passes on the fly”.

For my last trip with my dh, I have an annual pass, so as soon as I was able to, I set up FP+ for myself. He didn’t get tickets until very close to arrival date. Once he finally got them and linked, I was able to copy my FP+ selections and times to his. There were only a few that didn’t match up, being off by about 15 minutes. So, we still had an overlap time (mine at 2pm and his at 2:15pm, so overlapped for 45 minutes) and were able to get on all the FP rides together. I’m hoping that’s how it will work for you too.

We travelled in March with another party. We were able to link their reservations to ours, and I was able to book fastpasses for the same times.
You shouldn’t have any problem booking fastpasses for your husband at 30 days out.
Also, as a tip, the time slots do offer a small grace period. There was one FP that we arrived 10min early for and the scanner allowed us in without a problem, another we arrived 5min late and we had no problem entering.
Good luck.

omg All this MagicBand talk is scaring me! Maybe it means I’m officially old now. This is probably how my mom & dad felt when VCRs came out (and theirs flashed ‘12:00’ all the time)lol.

I can add him to my reservation if i want to pay for a week’s package that will not be used. Dining included… Not worth it. But, hopefully I can add all this soon, and hopefully it will be easier since now you can have more than 3 per day and park hop (soon)…

still,I think i should be able to have someone join my party/room,etc for just 2 days and pay for it. The fast pass situation just complicates the whole time he is there, and it should not be that hard for them to add him… ugh…

I can add him to my reservation if i want to pay for a week’s package that will not be used. Dining included… Not worth it. But, hopefully I can add all this soon, and hopefully it will be easier since now you can have more than 3 per day and park hop (soon)…

still,I think i should be able to have someone join my party/room,etc for just 2 days and pay for it. The fast pass situation just complicates the whole time he is there, and it should not be that hard for them to add him… ugh…

[QUOTE=hanwill;1141544]I can add him to my reservation if i want to pay for a week’s package that will not be used. Dining included… Not worth it. But, hopefully I can add all this soon, and hopefully it will be easier since now you can have more than 3 per day and park hop (soon)…

still,I think i should be able to have someone join my party/room,etc for just 2 days and pay for it. The fast pass situation just complicates the whole time he is there, and it should not be that hard for them to add him… ugh…[/QUOTE]

I think these are two different problems that you are encountering, but only one involves the magic band use.

The problem adding him to your room/vacation package which requires him to be added for the entire week, is not due to the magic bands, that is the Disney policy when booking packages. All parties in the same room must be on the same package for the same length of stay. You can add him to your room if you don’t book a package, and you each purchase individual tickets and no dining package.

For the Magic Band FP+, he can easily link his individual ticket reservation to yours for booking the same fast passes.

You are right, they are two different problems, and maybe I am mostly complaining about the room part… however- Now that you can reserve everything ahead of time… They have completely shut out a guest from getting fast passes early… or making a dinner reservation,which now affects the rest of us. All because one person will not be able to spend an entire week at Disney. We are not asking for anything free, just the ability to have a person with a very tough work schedule enjoy two days with his family on their vacation. Very frustrating.

I agree, it is difficult that the reservations aren’t able to be more flexible for such bookings.

You should be able to book all your dining reservations together at your 180 day mark, and you should be able to include him on that reservation. You will just need to pay for him individually at the time of seating.

Hopefully you will be able to get your husband the same fastpasses at his 30 day booking window. If it helps, we were there during spring break and had no problem getting the passes that we wanted, and we were able to switch times during the actual day and still have good options available.

Good luck, hope it all works out!

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1141534]
Now that everybody is now included with MB/FP+, I want to hear from people who previously stated “this is great, I can change fast passes on the fly”.[/QUOTE]

I learned early on that you can’t really change your fast passes on the fly.
To start with, you hit the one day/one park wall followed quickly by the “only 3 passes” wall.
After you rebound off that wall, you bounce into the next wall, the “Type A/Type B” wall where you can only have one type a ride fast pass per day. An example is if you get passes for Soarin’, you can not get passes for Test Track.
And this is just sitting at my computer. Now try to imagine juggling whatever you’re juggling plus trying to alter your plans with your smart phone as you’re walking.

Where and when did you hear this? Did you also hear a starting date?
(Then again, considering I’ll be in WDW in about 24 hours, unless this already is in effect, it doesn’t matter much right now.)

Now, as to your dining reservations, I can’t see why they’re not letting you choose the size of your party to start with at the 180 day mark. I always have been able to. In fact, sometimes in order to get a reservation I’ve resorted to making my party bigger and then informing the restaurant that everyone couldn’t make it, so it’s just the two of us. Mind you, the extra people never existed and their names were never in the system. WDW DINE operators do this as well. Heck, they’re the people who taught me that trick.

Adding a person on to a package for a few days without splitting the package up or paying in full has ALWAYS been a Disney rule, not a magic band rule. Has nothing to do with the Magic Band process. As for adding him to your fast passes, yes you can. You got the wrong cast member.

Unfortunately, in this scenario, both the hotel portion and the fast pass portion are intertwined. I cannot seem to add an extra person on to a fast pass reservation at all…

You can. Have your husband set up a separate MDE account. Make sure he links his tickets to it. Then invite him to “share and plan.” Once he accepts the invite you will be able to see him and include him with your fastpasses 30 days out.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1141555]I learned early on that you can’t really change your fast passes on the fly.
To start with, you hit the one day/one park wall followed quickly by the “only 3 passes” wall.
After you rebound off that wall, you bounce into the next wall, the “Type A/Type B” wall where you can only have one type a ride fast pass per day. An example is if you get passes for Soarin’, you can not get passes for Test Track.
And this is just sitting at my computer. Now try to imagine juggling whatever you’re juggling plus trying to alter your plans with your smart phone as you’re walking.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the tiering/one park FP issue but I’ve had the opposite experience with changing FPs on the fly and was actually really pleasantly surprised with how easy it was and how I was able to move e ticket times around (though I will confess that I never tried TSMM!) I suspect it will be less easy on my next trip as I will have 12 people in my party but with smaller groups (less than 4) I’ve had no issues.

sounds like progress to me …what always amazes me in the rollout period these not so complicated scenarios never come up,or are addressed this should easy peasy but no it takes something that should be an advancement and makes it an irritant…in about 7 days I get to experience it first hand and hopefully will be able to share my honest happy experiences while on vacation in my right now favorite destination of all…

Starting next week, you will be able to get another FP after your 3 are used. You can even get the additional ones in another park…but this is only after the time period for the first 3 has passed.

You have to get the additional ones from a Kiosk in the park. But at least they are working through the new system to try to tweak it — to improve upon it. :slight_smile: