The Plaza?

What is it about The Plaza that makes it so special?

We were thinking of eating there this year but after looking at the menu it really isn’t that much different from most other CS’s in MK, except for being a little higher priced. Is it because it’s a TS, or is the food that much better? Is it because it’s slower paced without the rat-race of a reg CS? What is it that makes it so much better (expensive) than the other burger/chicken/tuna places in the kingdom?

Our experience with The Plaza is pretty much what your interpretation is…not much better than everywhere else from what I remember…so unless you are on the Dining Plan and price isn’t a factor, save the extra $ and go elseware. We really love Pecos Bill because of the fixin’ bar.

Nope, no DDP for SoG.:glare:

LOL!!! I know…we went round and round on SoG for our upcoming trip :blink: …you know military discounts are available for ALL resorts? Forget period (dates) but worked out for us to get a CBR pirate room for only $139 per night (not much more than SoG) and we get the Dining Plan :heart: …which after MUCH research and convincing…i finally got DW to agree to, as savings will benefit us…kids were psyched from the time we mentioned the pirate room…so easy to get them on my side :whistling

We have only tried the Plaza once - perhaps it was an off-night, but we waited forever to be seated, the restaurant was in a total mess, tables dirty, chairs all over the place and the noise level was deafening. We didn’t enjoy the sandwiches that much. DH is a reuben fanatic and he was disappointed in it - I don’t remember what the rest of us had, but it wasn’t memorable. We’re not big on ice cream, so all we had were the sandwiches - maybe the ice cream is better. I don’t think we’ll return. I’d much rather head to the Marketplace for a sandwich at the Earl of Sandwich.

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1073589]What is it about The Plaza that makes it so special?

We were thinking of eating there this year but after looking at the menu it really isn’t that much different from most other CS’s in MK, except for being a little higher priced. Is it because it’s a TS, or is the food that much better? Is it because it’s slower paced without the rat-race of a reg CS? What is it that makes it so much better (expensive) than the other burger/chicken/tuna places in the kingdom?[/QUOTE]

The service has always been good for us and the food is a step (not a huge step but a step) up from counter service. Plus, you can’t get a reuben at a counter service restaurant. I like knowing we’re going to have a cool place to relax for an hour while we eat and we don’t have to worry about getting a table at a busy time of day.

I am a HUGE Plaza fan! We got a ressie one night through a reccomendation from concierge at AKL, and we too wondered what could be so special about a few sandwitches…but after that meal I was completly sold! The Plaza is pretty small compared to most TS’s and it does feel a little cramped bu in a cozy sort of way, the best tables are in the ‘conservatory’ section where it’s a little lighter. I had a shredded steak, mushroom, peppers and onion on a huge roll with very thick cut chips, it was delicious! We enjoed the meal so much we attempted a walk up on our last day - took an hour to get a table but we thought it was worth every bite.

Maybe I’m easily pleased, but for us, it was something different, we loved the atmosphere, and the desserts are amazing! I’d always say give it a go at least once, just so you can say you’ve tried it!

The Plaza is always our backup eatery when we don’t want CS. We’ve probably eaten there almost every trip. It’s not much more expensive than a CS and it’s a nice place to relax and get into the air conditioning. We have never had a ressie for it and never waited more than 10 minutes to be seated. I don’t know what it is about it, but it’s a place that just relaxes us. It makes me feel like I’m at home. :heart:

We ate at The Plaza once in 2001 under less than ideal conditions.
The conditions had nothing at all to do with food or service, they were OK. Just a bunch of other stuff going on.
Anyway, we were underwhelmed by The Plaza’s offerings and continue to be. I sure don’t feel like wasting my one daily DDP sit down credit there and the same goes for Beaches and Cream.
Now, if you were to tell me that the burgers were ground USDA Prime rib eye, that would be something to consider (a true steakburger).
But for sure, it’s a better deal to pay out of pocket than to use dining plan sit down credits, unless you’re on the deluxe plan and have 3 sit downs a day already paid for.

I’ve discovered over time that I’m very picky when it comes to corned beef.
Even most Kosher brands don’t measure up to Hebrew National’s corned beef, and I know they don’t serve Hebrew National on Disney property.
Even Boar’s Head’s corned beef doesn’t compare.

This is just me. Most people wouldn’t even know what I’m talking about.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1073630]We ate at The Plaza once in 2001 under less than ideal conditions.
The conditions had nothing at all to do with food or service, they were OK. Just a bunch of other stuff going on.
Anyway, we were underwhelmed by The Plaza’s offerings and continue to be. I sure don’t feel like wasting my one daily DDP sit down credit there and the same goes for Beaches and Cream.
Now, if you were to tell me that the burgers were ground USDA Prime rib eye, that would be something to consider (a true steakburger).
But for sure, it’s a better deal to pay out of pocket than to use dining plan sit down credits, unless you’re on the deluxe plan and have 3 sit downs a day already paid for.[/QUOTE]

That’s why we enjoy the flexibility of the TIW. We can eat where we want and not worry about getting the best bang for our DDP credit.

DT - We have a TIW membership and do not always go dining plan, especially if we’re only there for a night or two.

Llama - I overlooked your comment about the Reuben.
I’ll bet if you ask your DH, it will come down to the corned beef not being as good as what he finds in the local Kosher deli, or perhaps there is a favorite brand of corned beef he likes and what was offered at The Plaza lacked not just the flavor, but also the texture of his favorite.
All corned beefs are not created equal and more often than not, they are poor imitations and not the real thing.
(Think my hot dog argument only on a more refined level)

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1073635]DT - We have a TIW membership and do not always go dining plan, especially if we’re only there for a night or two.

Llama - I overlooked your comment about the Reuben.
I’ll bet if you ask your DH, it will come down to the corned beef not being as good as what he finds in the local Kosher deli, or perhaps there is a favorite brand of corned beef he likes and what was offered at The Plaza lacked not just the flavor, but also the texture of his favorite.
All corned beefs are not created equal and more often than not, they are poor imitations and not the real thing.
(Think my hot dog argument only on a more refined level)[/QUOTE]

Yes DH and I are very picky about our corned beef. (Shaved, good ratio of lean to fat; none of that “lean” corned beef nonsense). Many delis here make their own corned beef and that’s what we prefer. We were raised with good kosher deli corned beef and have no tolerance for the pretend stuff.:glare:

Wanna bet. :laugh:

The Plaza is decent, but nothing special. Give me an amazing hot dog across the street at Casey’s anytime.

Who ever said you were most people?
I seem to recall you spending your formative years in an area that was a deli rich environment.

:eek::blow::blow:
:glare:

You just had to go there, didn’t you.:glare:

Thanks for the input, it is nice to hear from others what i’m not seeing. While in the world we tend to eat when we’re hungry rather than by the clock, which is why we don’t overload ourselves with too many ADR’s and instead end up with more QS locations. So, unless i’m really in the mood for that Turkey Club I think we’ll skip the Plaza once again and stick with the regulars or else head out of the park.

Splashmtnman since we’re a family of 5 with no Disney kids we have to go Deluxe and the 40% off is still much, much higher than SoG. We could only swing it by splitting a stay. Once the suites are built at Pop we may consider those but if they’re like the ones at ASMu we’ll stay at SoG until a kid or 2 moves out :laugh:

:glare::[/QUOTE]

I’m with ya. Where’s Rutt’s when I need them.

I have some sad news that is best conveyed through a “military” abbreviation: SOL.

The family suites at the new World of Animation (Pop Century: The Abandoned Years) are going to be exactly the same as the All Stars family suites. The value hotel rooms are all built from the same blueprint. I can not see much deviation in the future if Disney is going to maintain their value resort pricing structure.

I might be wrong, but I seldom am.