These room rates are nuts!

So here’s the set up.
We’re going to WDW and Uni next month (December).
WDW AP/Florida resident rates for the values (we’re at Pop) are $97.20 with tax.
At Universal, we’re staying at Royal Pacific. Florida resident rate is $162.00 with tax.
The difference? Pop has two full size beds. Royal Pacific has two queens. And obviously, the rooms are better appointed, on par with AKL. Oh yeah, and the express pass room key.
The other two Uni hotels are only $30 a night more.
In both cases, these are standard rooms, 260 sq. ft. for Pop and 335 for Royal Pacific.
You just have to wonder why one is so much more reasonably priced for the same days.

I’m just confused. You’re comparing apples to oranges. If you started out this thread comparing the Wilderness Lodge price to the Royal Pacific price, it would make much more sense. But I’m honestly not sure which you think is the better deal.

I’m confused too - which room are you saying is the better deal? They aren’t comparable resorts.

I think he is saying the Pop prices are much more reasonable. That sure is the way it looks to me!

:laugh:…I was waiting for a little bit more explanation too…

I have stayed at Pop—but never at the Royal Pacific so I can’t really comment on comparing the two price wise…

If you are asking if you should just stay at one or the other—i would always stay at a WDW hotel—and then transport to Universal… :happy:

But the product is different. It’s like comparing a Hampton Inn to a Hilton. A Hampton Inn is still a nice, clean hotel, but it’s less expensive because it’s a budget brand.

Pop Century is a “value” resort. Two double beds, less expensive furnishings, outdoor circulation…

Royal Pacific is not a value resort. It’s comparable to a deluxe resort at Walt Disney World - think Wilderness Lodge. It’s walking distance from the parks, and there are also buses to the parks. The furnishings are nicer - it’s higher quality. And you get the Express Pass which gives you priority access to all attractions. You’re getting something completely different.

So if you compare Royal Pacific’s price of $163/night to the Wilderness Lodge’s price which is probably $300-400/night, then I think the Royal Pacific is actually “more reasonable.”

If all you’re looking at is price, then yes, Pop Century is less expensive. But I think the best value is determined by what the customer is looking for.

Tire tracks on all of your heads :nonono2:

Why is a 4 star hotel only $65 more than a 2 star hotel when the comparable Disney hotel (AKL)is $69 more than Royal Pacific?
The complaint about comparing apples to oranges fails because I AM comparing apples to oranges and wondering why the orange doesn’t cost that much more than the apple and apparently the Disney orange is far more expensive than the Universal orange.

If you want to go further, the Portofino Bay is only $30 more than Royal Pacific, but is on par with Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk or even on par with the Poly and a room at Beach is $130 more than Portofino. And here’s the oddest, the Poly is only $5 more than Beach!
In all examples, these are the standard rooms, not rooms with enhanced locations or views.

By the way, the more reasonably priced room is Royal Pacific because it offers greater value for dollars spent.

Since I have not been and have no desire to go to Universal I really don’t know the answer to this but do they offer free airport transport? Is there a need for transport to the parks? Just wondering because those are just two quick things I think of at Disney. Other than the fact it is Disney and would be a far bigger draw than Universal in the first place. The simple higher demand would be why they can charge more and be nearly full.

Universal does not offer any sort of airport transfer. But until 2005, Disney didn’t either and for the first year or so, Disney treated ME as an experimental program that they weren’t sure they were going to continue to provide. But it turned out to be so popular that they’ve kept it, especially when they have people flying in from all around the world to stay at one of their 30 hotels.
Each of the three Uni hotels is served by a water taxi that runs from that hotel’s dock to a central dock in the middle of the City Walk Lagoon. Each hotel has it’s own dedicated water taxis. All three hotels are operated by Loews, though I think the Hard Rock is now owned by the Seminoles (the tribe, not FSU). Each features really good dining venues.
Currently, Universal has two theme parks, City Walk (think DTD with a Hard Rock Live and an Emeril’s) and a slightly off property waterpark. Universal is also currently building a mod level hotel on their property as well.
I think the final point is that Universal does a slightly deeper discount for Florida residents than Disney does. Then again, last summer, the AP discount at WL was a whopping 5%!
Sure, Disney charges more, mostly because they can and there is more to do once you’re captive on their property, but Universal in many ways, is the equal of Disneyland. That is, two parks, a shopping/entertainment district, and three 4 star hotels.
Oh yeah, and they don’t really have any night time entertainment like the Disney parks. In fact, far too often, the parks close at 7.
That’s why we’re heading back over to WDW on the night of the 12th.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1140147]Tire tracks on all of your heads :nonono2:

Why is a 4 star hotel only $65 more than a 2 star hotel when the comparable Disney hotel (AKL)is $69 more than Royal Pacific?
The complaint about comparing apples to oranges fails because I AM comparing apples to oranges and wondering why the orange doesn’t cost that much more than the apple and apparently the Disney orange is far more expensive than the Universal orange.

If you want to go further, the Portofino Bay is only $30 more than Royal Pacific, but is on par with Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk or even on par with the Poly and a room at Beach is $130 more than Portofino. And here’s the oddest, the Poly is only $5 more than Beach!
In all examples, these are the standard rooms, not rooms with enhanced locations or views.

By the way, the more reasonably priced room is Royal Pacific because it offers greater value for dollars spent.[/QUOTE]

Well there’s no need to get insulting. You didn’t make yourself very clear. You’ve answered your own question, anyway. Disney charges the prices they do because they can. Simple as that.

What question?
This was all rhetorical. It’s a complaint thread.

My Dad, who takes us every year to Disney ( 7 people total), keeps talking about how expensive Disney is getting- even moderate rooms. We will stay at moderate, and if I can, a deluxe or DVC. It is crazy for these prices…

Of course, they charge it because they can, and I still want to go every year- so Disney is doing something right- but it is getting ridiculous.

That’s actually why I bought DVC. I knew that I would continue to go to Disney, and once I experienced deluxes, there was no going back. So, we bought DVC to protect us from price increases. Yes, maintenance fees do go up also, but no were near as much as rack rate room prices have.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1140147]Tire tracks on all of your heads :nonono2:

By the way, the more reasonably priced room is Royal Pacific because it offers greater value for dollars spent.[/QUOTE]

Okay, that’s what I was hoping that you were saying, but your last sentence about one being so much more reasonable left me scratching my head. I read it from the beginning and was thinking okay, obviously Royal Pacific is a better price considering the product, but you confused me with your last sentence.

And LMM, that’s why I was confused by your first reply.

Sorry about the tire tracks crack everyone.

Should I have said “bang for your buck” in the opening post instead?

Wait, we can complain about things here? :ohmy:

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1140169]And LMM, that’s why I was confused by your first reply.

Sorry about the tire tracks crack everyone.

Should I have said “bang for your buck” in the opening post instead?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, bang for your buck would’ve made a lot more sense.

Actually it’s just nice to see a thread with some activity.

…this is true…:happy:

I try to start a thread if nothing is happening every now and then to “drum up” activity, but sometimes they don’t go very far…you just never know…but I enjoy reading—even if I can’t contribute to the conversation going on…

When someone asks questions about or makes comments on something related to DVC or Dining Plans or something—I can only sit back and read…but I do come here several times a day to read or comment to keep things going…

I have the site bookmarked on all forms of tech…so I can do that easily… :mickey:

we have ben going to WDW for over 22 years now and we have always stayed and enjoyed wdw property,I have no desire to go to universal,but I understand why others might like to go,yes you pay a premium for Disney usually that happens when you have a superior overall produc.I just glanced at some promo prices for WDW for example a 2 bedroom villa for 387…not bad …for the superior venue would you not say,