Things to do NOT at theme parks

I would like to know of things to do Not in the theme parks. Do you have any suggestions. Tell me of the things that are different. (Son 11, Daughter 10 total tomboy)

there are the waterparks…and pleasure island / downtown sidney

I understand that DisneyQuest in Downtown Disney is some sort of Mecca for pre-teen boys…

Cirque de Soleil is amazing (it’s at Downtown Disney too) Pricey, but worth it.

Shopping at the Marketplace is an attraction in itself.

Miniature Golf - there are two courses: Fantasia, by The Swan and Dolphin and Winter/Summerland by Blizzard Beach.

Horseback riding at Fort Wilderness

Tennis at several resorts (Contemporary has the best courts)

Well considering Disney Quest is closed, I can’t tell you to do it. :laugh:

They might like the Waterparks.

Also, I’ve never been here, sports isn’t really my thing, but try going to Wide World of Sports… here’s a schedule of events.

Spectators

I understood that it’s not closing until 2008.

We always hit the little water sprites ( or WaterMice) at the Grand Floridian or Poly when we are there, my DD loves to pilot her own boat around the lagoons.

If one of the boys comes with us I try to get a couple of sets of tennis in, the courts I’ve played on in WDW are outstanding.

My DD and I have done horseback riding at WL, my only complaint is that the whole ride is too short ( aren’t they all, lol ).

Quick question, are you talking about things to do within WDW or outside of the gates?

There is a Marshmallow roast and movie time at Fort Wilderness. Bring a blanket and grab some marshmallows to roast…

There is also a petting zoo at Fort Wilderness.

-CIRQUE DU SOLEIL!!! La Nouba is a GREAT show!

-I also believe there is a company in Orlando where you can take a helicopter ride over the city.

-You can parasail or rent a boat at the Contemporary or the Beach Club.

-There are PLENTY of outlet malls around Orlando.

• Mini golf

I thought DisneyQuest was not closing at all. I know there was a rumor about ESPN moving there from the Boardwalk, but that’s been de-bunked AFAIK.

Sorry for thread-jack. I think both kids would love DisneyQuest myself. There’s also water-skiiing, parasailing, fishing at the various resorts (which also have specialized activities that you can probably find out about on allearsnet.com, a wonderful site run by Deb Wills with lots of information on everything Disney)!

What time of the year are you planning to go?

My DD and I love DTD. We love to shop, so it’s a great place for us. I also take great pleasure in hanging out at my resort. It’s half the magic for me to just lay around and be lazy for just a little while…

Disney Quest isn’t closed. I just called last week to check on that as there was a rumor on here that it was closing. Two different Cast members told me that they are doing rennovations in one section of it, but it was open for business.

Just to confirm the status of Disney Quest, I jut called CRO once again and was informed that it is not closed at this time, is not closing in the near future…these rumors are completely false…The CM I spoke to was a little baffled as he was just there over weekend. He did look it up for me and ask another cast member just in case he actually missed something.

Kennedy Space Center if you can get offsite.

What i mean is what cool things are there to do at the resorts not the water parks or off site.

Fort Wilderness is an experience within itself! Although I’ve never been, there are SO MANY THINGS to do there! I got this info from AllEars:

The campfire program
The campfire program is open to all WDW resort guests. It generally begins around 7 p.m. during the fall/winter season and 8 p.m. after the time changes in April through the summer. It is held near the Meadow Trading Post in the campfire area. The program begins with a sing-along led by a Disney CM and a marshmallow roast around two campfire rings. You may bring your own marshmallows or buy them at the Chuckwagon (roasting sticks and marshmallows are $2). You may also buy pizza, hot dogs, candy, nachos, juice, popcorn, sodas, coffee, beer and other refreshments at the Chuckwagon. While this is going on, Chip and Dale make an appearance to visit with guests and sign autographs. The sing-along lasts about 40 minutes. Next, one or two Disney animated features, depending upon the season, are shown on a large outdoor screen. Seating is available in bleachers or on benches. There is also plenty of room to lay out a quilt or blanket. The movie schedule is posted at all comfort stations. In the event of rain, the sing-along is still held on the porch of the Meadow Trading Post.

It is also home to HOOP DEE DOO REVIEW
The Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue is the most popular and longest-running dinner shows offered at WDW. For comments on the show click here. The show is held at 5:00, 7:15 and 9:30 p.m. nightly at Pioneer Hall. Reservations are a must and can be made up to two years in advance. To get there, FW guests may take a bus to the Settlement Depot. Non-FW guests may get to Pioneer Hall by driving to FW and parking in the visitor lot then catching a bus at the Outpost Depot. One can also drive to the Contemporary or Wilderness Lodge and take the boat launch to the FW marina. Another way, depending on the hours at the Magic Kingdom, are to take a resort bus to the MK and then take a boat from the MK to the Fort Wilderness marina. Pioneer Hall is a very short walk from the marina. The menu for the dinner portion of the Revue is: Fresh baked bread, tossed green salad with vinaigrette dressing, country fried chicken, smoked BBQ pork ribs, corn, baked beans, strawberry shortcake, coffee, soft drinks, hot and iced tea, unlimited beer and wine.

It is ALSO home to Mickey’s Backyard BBQ
an all-you-can-eat buffet with a live country band, line-dance instructor, and appearances by Disney Characters, is held on certain evenings at the Fort Wilderness Pavilion.

There are so many other fun things to do at FW that some campers never leave the resort. Activities/facilities include:
Horseback Riding

Two lighted tennis courts - complimentary equipment available for resort guests at the Bike Barn. Open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. daily.

Nightly wagon rides at Pioneer Hall at 7 and 9:30 p.m.- Cost $8 adults, $5 children. Depending on Magic Kingdom hours, there are sometimes special “Fireworks” wagon rides scheduled.

Private carriage rides - Cost $35/half-hour. Call (407) 824-2832 to reserve (reservations suggested, not required). Depart from Crockett’s Tavern at Pioneer Hall between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. nightly. See Carriage Rides HERE for more info.

Pony rides from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. for children 2-8 years old, weighing no more than 80 pounds - Cost $4

Bicycle rental: $7.54 plus tax/1/2 hour, $20.75 plus tax/day. Surrey Bike (2-seater): $16.90 per 1/2 hour. (Prices are estimates, call the Bike Barn at (407) 824-2742 for current pricing.)

Fishing in canals (free) or chartered largemouth bass fishing excursions on Bay Lake, which include a professional guide, refreshments (soft drinks, coffee, hot chocolate & water), fishing gear and a dozen shiners. See our Fishing Excursions page HERE.

Sand volleyball court near Meadow Trading Post

Horseshoes and shuffleboard

Basketball and tetherball courts throughout the resort

Two arcades - Davy Crockett Arcade at Pioneer Hall (near Settlement Depot) is open 7 a.m. to midnight. Daniel Boone Arcade (near Meadow Trading Post) is open 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Two heated outdoor swimming pools

White sand beach

Rental watercraft at Fort Wilderness Marina (open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily) including: 21’ Suntracker pontoons ($34.74/half hr), must be 18 to drive; Mercury Water Mice ($21.59/half hour; $27.23/45 minutes; $30.05/one hour), must be 12 and 5 feet tall to drive. Parent or guardian signature required for all drivers 12-18 years old. At the Bike Barn: canoes, kayaks and paddle boats ($6.13 plus tax/1/2 hour; $10.38 plus tax/hour) (Prices are estimates, call the Bike Barn at (407) 824-2742 for current pricing.)

Water skiing, wakeboarding - starting at $140/hour with a 5-guest maximum

Parasailing: See our Parasailing page HERE.

Tri-Circle D Ranch - home of the draft horses used to pull the trolleys down Main Street USA, featuring a blacksmith shop

Swamp Trail - 3/4 mile loop along the shore of Bay Lake

FW Exercise Trail - 2.3 mile paved and sand path

Electrical Water Pageant - nightly at 9:45 p.m. at the FW beach and marina
Was there ever a train running

wow thanks for the info on the wilderness that sounds like a great time.

Thank goodness! I was really getting worried after reading this thread, since our kids love Disney Quest and I added the Water Parks & More feature to our tickets only because of DQ.

I was going to suggest Kennedy Space Centre too- I thought it may be just a real ‘boys’ trip but I throughly enjoyed it- fun and educational too