Thinking about buying into DVC

We’re close to buying into BLT but here’s my concern. We vac June or early July every year and I’m worried that we may not get the room we want. Our first choice will be BLT and the sales guys says we should never have a issue getting a room at the 11th month window but I see several people buying extra points to make BLT their home so they can get the 11th window, plus he is a sales guy. So here’s my question, has anyone had or heard of someone having a issue getting a room at their home resort at the 11th or 10th month window? Do you have to call exactly at the 11th month mark? In addition can the public reserve a room before DVC members?

Congrats on deciding to buy into DVC. I just took the plunge and purchased BLT, too!

I have never heard of issues at the 11 month window (except for Concierge rooms at DVC resorts). However, if you are dead set on a MK view, you better be on the phone lines at 9am the day you get to the 11 month mark. If you don’t mind a Lake View, you will be fine since most rooms are Lake View rooms.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISION!!!

We have no problems booking at 11 months. I don’t think June and July are really busy DVC times. I know Nov. and Dec. are busy times for DVC. We also don’t have problems at 7 months for Non-Home resorts.

Welcome to MB!!!

Well, first welcome to MB!!!

I just got dvc and placed a reservation with the developer pts in early Jan for feb and I got the reservation in SSR and then again I made a reservation at SSR for a week in may and again no problem. I am also waiting for feb so that I can try and already make a reservation at my home resort woot! woot! if for any reason you have a problem getting a room at the hotel you want just dont decide on only one hotel you can set your sights on one hotel but just remember that if you wait to long it will be harder to get reservations.

11 months out should be plenty of time to get the room you want. I have never heard of a problem.

Look at it this way: If you don’t have BLT as your home resort, you’ll have to wait till 7 months out to book it!

DVC is a great way to save money if you plan on taking multiple trips over ht elife of the membership – for us, the lump sum is offset byt he savings in just a few trips. After that, it’s a great vacation option for the price of the fees alone – $1000 a year. Fabulous!

Booking at 11 months out should get you what you want at your home resort. I don’t hear a lot of reports of people being shut out that early but I’m sure you could fine someone who was at some point. December and Food and Wine Festival are popular times for DVC members so you would want to book right at 11 months out if you are set on a certain room type. June isn’t as busy, you should be fine booking at 11 months out.

The public will only get to book a DVC room if a member trades out of DVC. I really look at that as a draw because if that member hadn’t traded out they would have book a room at that time. Allowing rooms to be booked on cash is what pays for our trades so it’s not a bad thing.

I think you have a HUGE advantage at the 11 month window, I’ve never had any problems with getting in that early. Although, if you were planning on traveling Easter break, Christmas break, etc… I would probably be safe & DEFINATELY call exactly 11 months out. BLT is going to be a POPULAR resort but I think having that 11 month advantage is going to be key!

Congrats on DVC too BTW!

If you haven’t already contacted a DVC salesperson you can visit our “DVC referral” thread if you wanted to give a nod to someone here that may have helped you with your decision!

You’ll love it, have fun!

Someone posted awhile back abotu how great it is to check out of the resort and have NO BILL waiting for you at the front desk.

I can’t tell you enough how great it feels. It really makes you feel good abotu the decision to go DVC!

[QUOTE=MissDisney;924737]Someone posted awhile back abotu how great it is to check out of the resort and have NO BILL waiting for you at the front desk.

I can’t tell you enough how great it feels. It really makes you feel good abotu the decision to go DVC![/QUOTE]

You’re right, that’s a really good feeling. It also makes deciding to go easier because I know I don’t have t come up with 2-3000 dollars for a resort room because it’s already paid for.

Go for it. Like has already been said, the extra 4 months will be a big factor for you booking during a buxy time.

I don’t think there will be a lot of room available for rent there either due to trades or point rental. For one thing, the rooms will be the most expensive per night (location, location, location) of all of the DVC resorts. A lot of the people who rent points are budget savy and would rather stay cheaper. Plus, I’m like most BLT members I’m guessing are not planning on renting BLT points.

One benefit I see is BLT will open up BWV and BCV a little more I think.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;924764] Plus, I’m like most BLT members I’m guessing are not planning on renting BLT points.

One benefit I see is BLT will open up BWV and BCV a little more I think.[/QUOTE]

I think you’re right on both points. I think people are buying BLT to use it more than rent it. Sure, BLT owners will rent if needed but I don’t think you’ll see as many points out there.

Our good friends (DVC owners too) have been talking about BLT opening up BW and BC a little bit. I think BLT is going to be the resort to try to get at 7 months out like BC and BW have been the last few years. Our friends were thinking about selling their SSR points and buying BCV points but I think they’re holding off to see what BLT does to bookings at BC at 7 months.

an example that I always give to others that are thinking about DVC I always say to think about. if you know you are going to go to disney atleast once every 2 yrs you can bank the points and use them for the next yr and you have dbl points and can get a better room or a room with a better view. and my g/f and I have been staying at the value resorts MANY times and we spend atleast 550 to 700 for a week and we wanted to go to WL the first week of december which is always empty and cheap. well, the same 7 nights that I stayed in pop century cost me 547 and if I would’ve booked in WL it would have been 2300 with taxes so I said NO!!! but Imagine if you pay the 104/pt if you buy 160 it would be 16640 for 49-50 yrs depending where you buy and the 160 pts will definitely get you a week in a studio during the busiest time or a week and a half or more if you plan it right in a higher class room than value. thats the reason I bought just think about how it is going to benefit you and if it really is going to work for you.

now if you buy into AKV it is the Villa with the cheapest pt cost.

Welcome to MB!

I always seem to be the lone voice in the wilderness when this question comes up (and it comes up alot).

I know that people get their hearts set on one resort - but personally, I don’t think that should be your No. 1 concern. Yes, it’s always nice to be able to stay at the resort of your choice - but all the DVC properties have charms of their own. We’ve stayed at most the DVCs (still haven’t tried AKL) and I can honestly say that I’ve enjoyed every stay. There is no “perfect” DVC property. Everyone has a different opinion. And different experiences. Some are too big, some are too small, some are too noisy, some are too quiet. some are too far away from the parks, some have the reputation of bad bus service, the list goes on and on. I do hope you get the resort of your choice - but if you don’t, look forward to staying at the resort available - I bet you’ll find out something you love about it.

Thanks all. We stay at the Contemporary Resort every year. With this years vac along with the past 2 I could have paid for the DVC already. You’ve all been a huge help, going to run some numbers now and decide later today.

Isn’t that the truth. I wish we had bought in earlier but it just wasn’t the right time for us. However, if I add up our vacations from 2003-2007 we would have more than paid for our DVC.

Good luck with your decision.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;924942]Isn’t that the truth. I wish we had bought in earlier but it just wasn’t the right time for us. However, if I add up our vacations from 2003-2007 we would have more than paid for our DVC.

Good luck with your decision.[/QUOTE]

Yes this is what I keep thinking. It could have been paid for by now.

Yep, it’s true. There are times I wish we hadn’t waited when I look at all the money we spent on regular resorts.

Hankdog- the other thing you mentioned was that people are buying extra points to be allowed the 11 month window… those members can only book the number of points they purchased at the 11 month window (plus borrowing next year’s points). For example, if a member purchased 100 points at BLT, and they need 350 points for their stay at BLT, they can’t use BCV points to book at BLT at the 11 month window. Hope that makes sense.

That’s correct. Other than banking prior year/borrowing next year the only thing they could do is reserve what they could at BLT at 11 months and reserve the rest of their trip at their other home resort, then try to switch it to BLT at the 7 month or waitlist BLT.