Thinking About Doing Disney Career Start Next Year!

Anyone have any experience or advice?

So I’m thinking about doing the Disney career start program next year when I turn 18. Anyone have any advice or maybe personal experience with this? Thank you so much!!

p.s.
And I’m sorry, I didn’t know where else to put this!!:blush:

I don’t have any advice since I have never worked for Disney but I am interested in what you decide!

Rowdy Raider may be able to give you some insight!

What are you interested in doing?

Lisa

Well, I was hoping to maybe become a character, or an attraction CM. I would love to work in HS. Thats my dream job!!! I get to be in Disney, pretend I’m in the 40s, and make childrens trips magical!! Whats better than this?? NOTHING.

:ohmy: now don’t let Rowdy see that you “want to become a character” :cool:

Who is Rowdy? lol. And why not? I would also like to be someone who assists the characters!

Oooh, forgive me I read that as saying you wanted to become character. I should have taken my time and finish reading that sentense, before plowing on :blush:
Rowdy Raider is a CM who is nice enough to fill us in on some of the interesting things that go on in the parks.

Dopey you are a character :laugh:

Oh no, no no! You didn’t read that wrong. I do want to become a character, but I understand how limited that is. So as a back up I would also like to assist the characters! :] So you were right.

But how come I wouldn’t want him seeing that. lol. :]

Hello, I don’t have any experiance or advice but I do wish you luck on whatever you choose! :smiley:

Hey, Stacey, welcome to MB! I never did the CareerStart, but I did do the College Program my freshman year…not sure what you’re options are, but best of luck to you!

I will give you a heads up, though. When you’re workin for Disney and you are hired as a character, the term used is “friends with”. Like one of of my roomates during my program was “friends with Eeyore” or “friends with Chip and Dale”. A guy at my school was actually hired for the College Program, and he will be friends with Peter Pan. That way it retains the magic. :happy:

Keep us posted on your endeavor!

Wow! I’m jealous wish I was your age & would have thought about working for
Disney. Didn’t get hooked till I had kids myself! Good Luck!!

A friend of ours did it a couple of years ago. She had an amazing time! So amazing that she moved down to Orlando about 6 months after her program ended. She’s currently working at the “other” park, but is applying at Disney again this fall.

Thats sooo great to hear! Thank you for the insight! I know, my mom was worried about that too! (Me moving away and not coming back! haha) But I was like don’t worry mom, I could NEVER live in Florida all the time. I love Philadelphia too much, and I’d miss the snow! Plus, I sunburn… EASILY! haha. And I’d also miss the “vacation” feeling I’d get going to Disney having been soo far away from Disney.

I did the College Program 2 years ago (Holy Cow! Has it been that long?). While I was there I met kids who were doing Career Start. I also had a roomate who was “friends with” Mickey, Minnie, Lilo, Stitch, Donald, and Wendy from Peter Pan.

My roomate, sadly to say, quit the program after 6 months because she felt that her position was hard (and she mention other things that shouldn’t be repeated out loud:eek:). But looking back, I feel that she did not have the “Disney magic” in her. She had never been to WDW prior to working there, so I think that she never grasp the whole “magic” concept.

I know that 2 of my friends that were in Career Start are now full-time Cast Members. One is still at MK and the other is at DAK.

Then there is me, who is dying to go back…

(From this point on I’m just going to ramble on…but its something to think about)

Yesterday at work, I met a woman who was talking about doing the Professional internship. I told her about my experiences and my stories. Then I told her about my thoughts about working for Disney. Here is the sum of what I told her.

My thinking is that in order to have a successful career with Disney, you need to have that “Disney magic.” (Hope you can understand what I’m trying to say). I’m sure that other Cast Members on Mousebuzz can relate with me on this. Everybody is different, but we are there for a common purpose. Somedays were rough (like anyplace you work)…but then I usually met one guest who would remind me why I was there…to make dreams come true and give people that best memories that I possibly could. (Even if all I did was sell Turkey Legs and served Ice Cream. HEHE!)

To sum up, I say go for it!! You will love every minute of it. I have no regrets what so ever…no wait…one regret that I have is that I left and went home…What was I thinking??? HEHE!

Okay, I’m going to shut up now, otherwise I will take up the whole forum.

P.S. The woman I was speaking with seems even more excited about going to Disney…so I felt that I won her over! HEHE!

[QUOTE=Jenabug;863631]Then there is me, who is dying to go back…

(From this point on I’m just going to ramble on…but its something to think about)

My thinking is that in order to have a successful career with Disney, you need to have that “Disney magic.” (Hope you can understand what I’m trying to say). I’m sure that other Cast Members on Mousebuzz can relate with me on this. Everybody is different, but we are there for a common purpose. Somedays were rough (like anyplace you work)…but then I usually met one guest who would remind me why I was there…to make dreams come true and give people that best memories that I possibly could. (Even if all I did was sell Turkey Legs and served Ice Cream. HEHE!)

To sum up, I say go for it!! You will love every minute of it. I have no regrets what so ever…no wait…one regret that I have is that I left and went home…What was I thinking??? HEHE!

Okay, I’m going to shut up now, otherwise I will take up the whole forum.

P.S. The woman I was speaking with seems even more excited about going to Disney…so I felt that I won her over! HEHE![/QUOTE]

Well said Jena. That is very true and good advice. You need to come back. I miss seeing you’re smiling face. You’d fit right into City Hall!!! Come Back Home (Your WDW Home)!!!

I wish you the best of luck in your endeaver.

I have often wondered, does Disney only hire college students? Do these young employees have to find their own lodgings or does Disney have a complex that they can rent from. Kind of like a security thing. How do you go about applying for a job at Disney? (no, it’s not for me. lol I have just always wondered about that)

I say go for it and make the best of every moment. It so important to spread your wings and try new adventures when you are young and have the whole world in front of you. The career advice I give to everyone, regardless of age or indusrty, is to be happy and learn from everything you do. Happy people have more fun and others gravitate to them which creates more opportunities and experiences. If you learn from everything you do, you will always grow and feel a sense of purpose and value in your eandevors.

I have to tell you, I am 40 and an exec with one of the largest comapnies in the world and I am actievly considering how to transition to Disney as a career change. I was once told by a manager, when I was first starting my career, “Figure out what you would be doing if you weren’t at work and find a way to make that your career.” I have to admit, it is a lesson that stuck with me for 20 years.

Good luck and happy adventures!! We all probably envy your possibilities!! I do.

[QUOTE=brebre_51;863973]I wish you the best of luck in your endeaver.

I have often wondered, does Disney only hire college students? Do these young employees have to find their own lodgings or does Disney have a complex that they can rent from. Kind of like a security thing. How do you go about applying for a job at Disney? (no, it’s not for me. lol I have just always wondered about that)[/QUOTE]

For the Disney College Program specifically, you have to be enrolled in at least one college class. (I think…) They also provide housing, good and bad, but security was VERY tight in all the complexes when I was in the CP. Course, it was a little over a year after 9/11, but still. Very, very tight security.

Anyone can apply for a job at Disney, but if you’re in college, thats usually the easiest way. Imo, you’d have to be a crack-lord or had jail time to be rejected for the CP. But maybe they raised their standards, who knows. Whether you get the job of your dreams or not…that’s questionable. :laugh:

My dad met someone at DisneyWorld once who was a much older guy…he retired from his career job and just decided to pick up some hours and work at Disney, just for the free passes!! Sounds like my kinda guy. :laugh: I would do what he’s doing in a heartbeat, but I’m nowhere near retirement. :laugh:

Great, now I wanna work at Disney again…but its just not ideal right now. :frown:

Hmmm… thanks, Screever. I have one grandchild in college…wonder if he could transfer down there… free passes you say… hmmmmm…

Yea, has been friends with many of the characters since January. She signed up with College program (was going to be a waitress in Epcot, but went to a audition in Austin, TX and got to be friends with a number of them.

[QUOTE=Screever;821285]Hey, Stacey, welcome to MB! I never did the CareerStart, but I did do the College Program my freshman year…not sure what you’re options are, but best of luck to you!

I will give you a heads up, though. When you’re workin for Disney and you are hired as a character, the term used is “friends with”. Like one of of my roomates during my program was “friends with Eeyore” or “friends with Chip and Dale”. A guy at my school was actually hired for the College Program, and he will be friends with Peter Pan. That way it retains the magic. :happy:

Keep us posted on your endeavor![/QUOTE]