Thinking about DVC...any tidbits of info?

Hey guys! So my sister and I are looking at doing DVC and the whole thing seems so confusing! I am so torn on if it is a good deal or not! For all intensive purposes between the two of us, we will do 1-2 Disney trips a year, but I also don’t want to limit my vacations to Disney. After looking at things, the non-Disney vacas seem like A LOT of points. I guess, I see the upside of doing it…but there HAS to be a downside… anyone?

If you don’t use your points, you can rent them out online. You can rent out your points here on Mousebuzz. The DISboard have a DVC Rent/Trade forum (they get a lot more traffic than MB). And then you can also bank/borrow your points.

I don’t think DVC would force you to limit your vacations to Disney. It will just make your Disney vacations more affordable in the long run. I can’t remember how many years it takes to make DVC a good investment… and it depends on how long you stay each time.

The downside for us (and why we haven’t invested in DVC) is that (like you noted yourself) it’s not a good value to stay at a non-DVC resort and use points. We like to stay at resorts like the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian, which aren’t a good deal using DVC points.

Another question is the style of accommodations (another thing preventing us from choosing DVC). The studio has one queen bed and a sofa bed (with the exception of OKW, I believe), as does the one-bedroom. Would it just be you and your sister going on these trips? Who would get what bed?

my parents got into DVC when i had just started. we absolutely love it. unfortunately is gone way up in cost since the bought in though.

one major problem that we’ve seen is, that they seem to give guests who aren’t DVC members preferential treatment upon check-in (for example; room placement, reservations and such…)

now don’t everyone jump on me and call me paranoid, but our friends checked in at the same time as we did (a couple minutes after us) and had a waaaaay better room. i understand disney is trying to sell themselves to the vacationer, and trying to get them to come back, but don’t do this to your loyal customers! can’t pull the wool over this mouseketeer’s eyes!

We’ve been DVC members since 2000.

I can honestly say that we have never felt that non-members get preferential treatment. In fact, for us the opposite seems to be true. Members are always welcomed home and have a real feeling of “belonging” when vacationing.

I would advise you to contact DVC and ask for a representative to contact you. I can promise you that you will not get any hard-sell from the reps. They’re incredibly patient and will answer any questions you have without putting any pressure on you. We first inquired in 1998, but didn’t buy until 2000. In all that time we contacted DVC many times, asked many questions and were always treated courteously.

[QUOTE=llama;1043773]We’ve been DVC members since 2000.

I can honestly say that we have never felt that non-members get preferential treatment. In fact, for us the opposite seems to be true. Members are always welcomed home and have a real feeling of “belonging” when vacationing.

I would advise you to contact DVC and ask for a representative to contact you. I can promise you that you will not get any hard-sell from the reps. They’re incredibly patient and will answer any questions you have without putting any pressure on you. We first inquired in 1998, but didn’t buy until 2000. In all that time we contacted DVC many times, asked many questions and were always treated courteously.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you said. DVC works well for my family and we feel at home in our resort. We bave always gotten any room request we’ve made and feel like we we get first class treatment.

i remember getting our family picture taken i a faux hot-air balloon when we first became members. they even had an icecream parlor inside of old key west for the potential buyers!

The ice cream parlor still exists, but its now in the SSR resort.

As far as downsides, for our situation, I see absolutely none. We LOVE AKL, and I wanted to go more and more often, so when we added up the numbers, it just made sense financially for us to buy DVC. Now, I love the idea that with my annual pass and points, I can just hop on a plane and for the cost of an airline ticket, I get to enjoy Disney without any of the stress of savings for it.

mmmm hot fudge please! o yea, and jimmies too!

If you go twice a year it seems like an easy decision. If you don’t want to go to Disney one year just rent out your points (which Disney makes super easy btw) and go somewhere else.

The accommodations are 5 star and will totally change the way you do Disney. We did our first trip last year and the kitchen saved us $300 easy on food. I can’t imagine going back to a standard hotel room.

if you are disney fans and youlike and can go often,once or twice a year it is definitely the way to go,we hesitated years ago and were the lesser for it ,much cheaper in the long run ,with many perks,like 25% off on annual passes etc

I think you will find that you will continue use your DVC membership and add additional trips to (dare I say it) non Disney vacations. We love our DVC and go about 2 times a year but we also go to the beach and lake every summer. It all depends on what works best for you. I have always been treated great both as a DVC member and as a guest who traded another timeshare before we bought our DVC. The BEST deal is the discounted passes!

Also, we bought ours one the secondary market for much less than the current rates and we were able to get the resort that we wanted since it has been sold out for many years.

All great info guys! I guess my last question: Other than 25% off annual passes…do they ever offer any other types of discounts/deals for DVC members? I think sis and I are going to do an exploratory trip in February (without significant others) and see what we can dig up. I think the resale market is where we are looking too…

There are some dining discounts but they are mostly at lunch at at a limited number of restaurants. There is also a discount at the Basin store. The AP discount is by far the best but keep in mind that perks do disappear, none are guaranteed. All discounts and perks could end tomorrow but we would still be happy with our membership.

[QUOTE=llama;1043773]We’ve been DVC members since 2000.

I would advise you to contact DVC and ask for a representative to contact you. I can promise you that you will not get any hard-sell from the reps. They’re incredibly patient and will answer any questions you have without putting any pressure on you. We first inquired in 1998, but didn’t buy until 2000. In all that time we contacted DVC many times, asked many questions and were always treated courteously.[/QUOTE]

DITTO! It has been a BIG savings for my family - we LOVE DVC!

This website might help! Disney Vacation Club Membership Benefits | Disney Vacation Club

Remember one thing with the resale market. The time left on the contract/points might expire before purchasing a new contract from Disney. Make sure the # of years remaining make the purchse worth it.

This is not true. Each resorts contracts expire at the same time, unless you did the extension at OKW. We purchased VWL 2 years ago off the resale market. Our contract expires in 2042, the same time it would have expired if we purchased directly from Disney and we paid about $40 less per point than we would have if we bought it direct. They really don’t offer any incentives for purchasing at a sold out resort, so the resale market is your best bet. There are AKV contracts out there right now for as low as $85 per point that our the exact same thing that Disney is selling.

Where you really have to be careful is with closing costs. They should not be more than $500 and that is estimating very high (ours didn’t even come close to that). You can often get the seller to pay for some if not all of them.

Some people think the resale market is not as convenient or is more of a pain, but it was actually super easy it justs takes a little longer. We put in our bid and it was accepted by the seller, Disney waived their rights, we were sent some papers to sign, and we sent them back with a check. Done. The whole process took a little over a month, but it really only took up about 20 minutes of our time total. All the work was basically done by other people.

I hope this helps. It really is a big financial decision, so make sure you take your time with your research and don’t rush into anything.

I’m thinking what Rich was meaning was that different resorts have different contract expirations, such as VWL expiring in 2042, but AKV expires in 2054 and BLT expires in 2059. So, if you choose one of the resorts that Disney doesn’t actively sell, then you may pay less, but the remainder of the contract is shorter.

Thank you for the clear and consise english version. I usually get too wordy in an answer.

Yeah-- the “big financial decision” is, obviously, what makes me nervous. While I totally see the benefits, as I am paying $1100 for 1 trip’s lodging and my sister is paying $1000 for one trip in lodging, that it may equal out. Who knows…these things always confuse me, but I am still going to investigate more! And do I really need to think of 2042? I will be well into my 60s! Well I guess there are GRANDKIDS!

[QUOTE=PeterPansPixie;1044021]This is not true. Each resorts contracts expire at the same time, unless you did the extension at OKW. We purchased VWL 2 years ago off the resale market. Our contract expires in 2042, the same time it would have expired if we purchased directly from Disney and we paid about $40 less per point than we would have if we bought it direct. They really don’t offer any incentives for purchasing at a sold out resort, so the resale market is your best bet. There are AKV contracts out there right now for as low as $85 per point that our the exact same thing that Disney is selling.

Where you really have to be careful is with closing costs. They should not be more than $500 and that is estimating very high (ours didn’t even come close to that). You can often get the seller to pay for some if not all of them.

Some people think the resale market is not as convenient or is more of a pain, but it was actually super easy it justs takes a little longer. We put in our bid and it was accepted by the seller, Disney waived their rights, we were sent some papers to sign, and we sent them back with a check. Done. The whole process took a little over a month, but it really only took up about 20 minutes of our time total. All the work was basically done by other people.

I hope this helps. It really is a big financial decision, so make sure you take your time with your research and don’t rush into anything.[/QUOTE]

THAT’s the trick - getting Disney to waive it’s rights…we tried to buy more points on two different occasions and Disney refused to waive their rights both times…yes…I was a little ticked off.:dry: We ended up buying directly from Disney - it just saved a lot of disappointment. Of course, try it, if it looks like a good deal - but don’t expect it to be a “done deal”.