Thoughts on disney ,any comments

Now that alomost all the old guard is retiring or retired and family members are not directly involved with the company,what do you think happens going forward…does disney just turn into a corporation that just loses its soul and forgets from where it came…to me troubling signs maybe on the horizon,yes it will still have ships and parks and most of the old disney stuff up front but behind the scenes ,the decision to use WDW property to build an upscale housing developement,the attitude toward everyday disney employees amongst other changes,that coupled with rumors allbeit light right now that disney will spin the parks off,license them to be run by someone else,now don’t laugh at this notion in this era of employee costs and health care,it might be a sound corporate decion,no employees to deal with,and essentially aleve themselves of the everyday burden of the parks
this comment comes from watching the new team operate,please remember disney is publicly held,and the pressure will come to do something if profits fall,I hope this doesn’t come to pass,but a little history lesson about 1955,disney never held a controlling share in disneyland,never truly was the owner,most people don’t know this but it is fact,but disney was aloweed to operate freely in most cases,now that there is no more disney will someone who is placed in charge honor the disney tradition of family values or will he sucummb to pressure…if any of you ever went to walt disney 100 years pavilion in the studios ,there is a scene there with disney talking about epcot,and if you read between the lines he said epcot is ready now,that he was waiting,waiting from what I can guess was the green light to proceed…I await others comment and conjectures …please assure me I am wrong …please

really no thoughts,really

Disney (the brand) has been living off the ghost of Walt for a long time now. He would do the daring thing in a brilliant new way. The people running it now (really since his death) do the safe calculated thing just under the surface…nothing to disrupt the Disney brand but nothing to really push like Walt did.

Do you think Walt would still be doing theme parks? No by now he would have evolved on to the next big thing in story telling.

I am glad that they didn’t do EPCOT that Walt envisioned. It would have been a huge flop and probably taken the company down without Walt’s vision and direction. To bad he died when he did because I think living in immersive land of tomorrow would have be ground breaking.

The real story of Disney is the story of Walt. It is very inspirational what one person with a vision can accomplish.

[QUOTE=tigger;1081510]Disney (the brand) has been living off the ghost of Walt for a long time now. He would do the daring thing in a brilliant new way. The people running it now (really since his death) do the safe calculated thing just under the surface…nothing to disrupt the Disney brand but nothing to really push like Walt did.

Do you think Walt would still be doing theme parks? No by now he would have evolved on to the next big thing in story telling.

I am glad that they didn’t do EPCOT that Walt envisioned. It would have been a huge flop and probably taken the company down without Walt’s vision and direction. To bad he died when he did because I think living in immersive land of tomorrow would have be ground breaking.

The real story of Disney is the story of Walt. It is very inspirational what one person with a vision can accomplish.[/QUOTE]

here here…we can all learn alot from him and the people he surrounded himself with,sadlymost are gone or are leaving,al weiss is getting set to retire,al started working for disney at 18 and rose to the top can you say that about some of todays top execs…al worked at disney for 39 years…can you say that about most of todays top execs…hard to maintain a love for a company when you only work for them for a few years,hard to honor the companies past,never mind overseeing its future…

That’s the truth. Who knows what all Disney would be doing now if Walt had lived longer.

People like to say on here and other message boards, “What would WALT think?” regarding business decisions and such. “WALT wouldn’t like that.” :glare: How does anyone know what Walt would have liked? Sure, we could guess based on his past decisions, but we don’t know.

I think many like the idea of Walt, and his story is quite charming, but honestly we all have good days and bad days. And a good personality doesn’t always equate to always making the best business decisions. People forget that Walt was the idea guy… Roy was the business man. Walt had a lot of crazy ideas, but Roy guided him towards what he thought would be successful.

Walt had several “flops.” Walt and Ub Iwerks opened an animation studio, but couldn’t afford to keep it running… that was a flop. Mickey Mouse was a flop before Steamboat Willie. Many believe that was the first Mickey Mouse cartoon, but Plane Crazy and the Gallopin’ Gaucho were actually his first - Steamboat Willie was the first to actually be released because the first two were flops. Pinocchio and Fantasia were released during World War II… bad timing… they were originally flops. But people don’t remember Walt for his flops… they remember him for his determination. The Disney brothers made a few bad business decisions back in the day… but they worked through it.

I’m sure that no matter who is in control of the Walt Disney Company, mistakes will be made. However, I believe that like Walt and Roy, the company will persevere.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1081554]That’s the truth. Who knows what all Disney would be doing now if Walt had lived longer.

People like to say on here and other message boards, “What would WALT think?” regarding business decisions and such. “WALT wouldn’t like that.” :glare: How does anyone know what Walt would have liked? Sure, we could guess based on his past decisions, but we don’t know.

I think many like the idea of Walt, and his story is quite charming, but honestly we all have good days and bad days. And a good personality doesn’t always equate to always making the best business decisions. People forget that Walt was the idea guy… Roy was the business man. Walt had a lot of crazy ideas, but Roy guided him towards what he thought would be successful.

Walt had several “flops.” Walt and Ub Iwerks opened an animation studio, but couldn’t afford to keep it running… that was a flop. Mickey Mouse was a flop before Steamboat Willie. Many believe that was the first Mickey Mouse cartoon, but Plane Crazy and the Gallopin’ Gaucho were actually his first - Steamboat Willie was the first to actually be released because the first two were flops. Pinocchio and Fantasia were released during World War II… bad timing… they were originally flops. But people don’t remember Walt for his flops… they remember him for his determination. The Disney brothers made a few bad business decisions back in the day… but they worked through it.

I’m sure that no matter who is in control of the Walt Disney Company, mistakes will be made. However, I believe that like Walt and Roy, the company will persevere.[/QUOTE]

to me it was not what walt would’ve done,but the atmosphere walt created,the stewardship that he created while alive and after his death…I would never presume to know what walt would’ve said or done,but I am guided bythe fact that the eventual outcome was good for him and his staff,but truly great experience to all his fans…that is his legacy…that is what walt instilled in his company and his fans…he always said quality will win out …and that was true when he said it and is even more true today…

Walt did have a number of flops but the genius of Walt was that every project build knowledge and ability of his studio. SO those flops were productive technical learning experiences.

Personally I don’t think that the Disney Corporation is driven by “quality will win out” or the ground breaking risk taking that embodied Walt’s body of work. There doesn’t seem to be any “keep moving forward” beyond what they were doing the day Walt died. Movies, Parks, Resorts…all just more of ground Walt plowed.

Personally I think the closest person at Disney today to Walt is John Lasseter. Probably the closet person we have in the world to what Walt was is probably Steve Jobs.

Yeah I think the Disney Corporation will be fine, they just aren’t the dynamic company plowing new ground like when Walt was providing the vision and leadership.