Tigger's SM rehab review

(Ok I didn’t know where to put this so I’m putting it here)

We finally got down to MK to ride SM after it’s rehab.

(let me apologize by saying that we still haven’t found our camera since the move so no pictures.)

What I first noticed was that the pre-show entrance hall way was quite. They must have improved it because the sound absorption seemed to be a lot better. They have changed out the photos of constellations and galaxies with star charts of routes to other space ports. They are bright and will give you a few moments of enjoyment reading the different route and locations, if you are stuck in line there.

Past the star charts you come upon train simulators. There are a number of large screens and three button controls on the hand rail. There were 2 games that we saw. The first one let you fire cannons at astroids and the second game you controlled an android collection lost items floating around the space port. Both games are fun and you play as a group so you can continue to play as you move down the line (just with different controls and corresponding avatar on screen).

Hint: In both games the controls worked the same way. the outside buttons moved you left or right (respectively) and the middle button either fired the cannon or moved the android forward. Also you have to tap the button for input. Since they are solid state there is no moving parts so you have to take you hand off the button and touch it again for it to register.

If you are a fastpass rider you miss all the star charts and training.

Exiting the tunnel you will notice the control tower is blacked out. No more waving to the CM…

When we were there all stand-by went into the left que and all FP went into the right que. The stand-by que wrapped around and then meet up behind the control tower were the CM was taking FP’s from the FP riders. The CM also made a determination where the stand-by riders went. If the FP que was low they would send you right and let the left que catch up. The FP que past this point seemed to be a longer stretch but when I went past has about the same amount of people as the remainder of the left que. This really seemed to improve the speed of the line.

The que pre-show is well blue. It is lit in blue light. The window above have been made a little smaller and looks more like a window out into space. There are stars drifting by as well as an astroid and space station floating off in the distance. Over all it is the same just cleaned up to fit the updated space port theme.

The stand-by wait time was 40 minutes but we were off the ride in about 35. I timed the CM loading and launching and based on my observations they can do send about 36 people a minute on their way to the exit. I found it to be much more efficient then other times with similar crowds.

The funnest thing I saw the whole time in SM was a rocket waiting in the launch tunnel with all six passengers texting away. I wonder how long that lasted :laugh:

Oh the ride…how was it? A lot smoother and a lot darker. The lift chain is still loud but after that it is surprisingly muted. Yes there is sound but it is muffled. I could actually carry on a conversation with DW without yelling.

Ok I am not going to tell you everything because in my view you need to explore this for yourself. There is some other stuff I hope you enjoy as much as I did when I pleasantly surprised.

The post show is a clever update with a few additions.

I know some people wanted a lot more but I am happy with the classic ride (well I wish they would change out the lift chain). I think the update is well done and I’m glad to see the improvements. Glad to hear the familiar music, classic look, and ride an updated classic dark coaster.

Hmmm Hmmm (clears throat)

I am still upset that they have ruined TTA. The new sound track is horrible and goes a long way to destroying the TL environment. They have taken one of my favorite parts of the MK (TL) and added a blatant advertisement for TL…IMHO they turned TT into a cheap carnival barker.

Tigger, I agree with you about the update to SM. We rode it 3 times while we were there and love it. The first time we made the mistake of not speaking up and telling the loading CM that I needed the front car due to having a cast on my foot so the first ride for me was a little hair raising and uncomfortable as I couldn’t get my foot all the way up by the seat in front of me so I was kind of wedged into the seat in a funny manner and ended up needing 2 CMs to help me out of the car at unloading. After that initial ride though, we always told the loading CM that I needed to side in seat 1 due to my cast and the last rides through were awesome. Definitely much darker which makes it so much better. I have really good night vision so I could always make out the track and where we were going before, even from the back seat of the second car. Not anymore. Even in the front seat I had absolutely NO idea where we were going. Great update to a classic ride while staying true to its roots.

We agree about SM Tigger, we really liked the changes from the rehab.

TTA, don’t even get me started!! :frowning:

TTA? is that the little electric cart that takes you around tomorrow land and through SM?

You better be kidding…

If they ever get rid of TTA I will take out a second mortgage on my house to buy it and then have it installed around the yard. Of course I will have more then one stop…one at the BBQ, one at the garage, one at the backdoor and another at the mail box.

[QUOTE=tigger;1008382]You better be kidding…

If they ever get rid of TTA I will take out a second mortgage on my house to buy it and then have it installed around the yard. Of course I will have more then one stop…one at the BBQ, one at the garage, one at the back door and another at the mail box.[/QUOTE]

:blink: What??? :laugh: I never asked or said they were getting rid of it! I was just asking what TTA stood for. I always enjoyed that ride and would be sad if they took it out.

Does it still feel like you’re going to hit the track above? Are the supports still there, and you just can’t see them, or did they maybe add some space? I have a habit of ducking down (even though there’s no way I could hit it, being as little as I am) because I’m scared I’m going to hit something.

You can’t really see any of the track or supports…it is really dark. It is like flying through space!

Trust me you are going to love it!

Innnnnnteresting!

I am dying here!!! I have to get on this ride FAST.

One thing certainly hasn’t been fixed.
Due to the way I fit into the seats relative to the lap bar, there is, and always has been, a pain caused to a certain pair of parts of my anatomy that I can’t really name in a family forum. Hint: think Spanish for eggs.
Funny how no other coaster of the 200 that I’ve ridden has caused me this kind of pain.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1008410]One thing certainly hasn’t been fixed.
Due to the way I fit into the seats relative to the lap bar, there is, and always has been, a pain caused to a certain pair of parts of my anatomy that I can’t really name in a family forum. Hint: think Spanish for eggs.
Funny how no other coaster of the 200 that I’ve ridden has caused me this kind of pain.[/QUOTE]

Short legs? :wink:

The biggest problem I have had is riding it with a full bladder…ouch.

[QUOTE=tigger;1008412]Short legs? :wink:

The biggest problem I have had is riding it with a full bladder…ouch.[/QUOTE]

If I had short legs, I could sit in the front seats comfortably:blink:

So the ride vehicle and restraints are the same? They just improved the queue and made it darker and smoother?

The ride vehicles and lap bars are exactly the same as they’ve been as long as I’ve been riding it. The main change is in the queue and to a lesser extent, the exit queue.
I guess the chain lift is a bit quieter, the ride chamber is certainly darker, but I think you can still see the ride structure itself and on my second ride, I was noticing numerous infrared video cameras all over the place.
I’m not so sure how much smoother the ride is as compared to simply putting on all new polyurethane wheels. (Which it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s all they did to smooth it out without large amounts of track replacement).

The ride vehicle setups are the same 3+3 toboggan style seating. The ride is smoother, quieter, and a lot darker…the chain lift is the same (clank clank clank :cool: not very space age). The pre-show and post-show are updated that help bring together a storyline.

No huge changes just improvements to the classic ride.

Trust me you will enjoy it.