Time To Turn Back Tiki-Time?

After months of hearing rumors that the Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management will be closing sometime in the near future to make way for a Stitch-involved makeover, a new wild rumor has hit the streets of the Magic Kingdom and has cast members in De-Nile (Attempt at a Jungle Cruise joke). Strong rumors now indicate that the original budget for the postponed major Jungle Cruise attraction refurbishment maybe heading across the way to fund the restoration of the talking audio-animatronics bird show to its original splendor. In short, the original Tropical Serenade show may return to the Magic Kingdom as part of a huge marketing campaign for the 40th anniversary of the Walt Disney World Resort in 2011.

The planned campaign is going to promote the idea of guests experiencing renewed classic attractions and entertainment inspired by the resort’s past. Among the planned updates for the celebration are updates to Space Mountain, Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress, The Hall of Presidents, and the Enchanted Tiki Room at the Magic Kingdom; Journey Into Imagination and Illuminations at Epcot; and The Great Movie Ride and Star Tours at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Also rumored at this time are a new firework show and updated Spectromagic parade at the Magic Kingdom.

While most of these changes are likely to not take place (as is the nature with rumors), a few of them will make the line-up in time for October 1, 2011.

That’s great news. Thanks for the information.

I’ll believe all these rumors when I see them. There have been so many rumors about attractions this summer that I can’t believe all of them. I like the wait and see attitude for now, no reason to get all worked up over rumors.

Me too . . . some of the rumors are crazy! :blink:

I still don’t see how Stitch would fit in over there . . . and unless a new flick comes out soon . . . he’s kinda a (gasp) has-been! :laugh::laugh:

(don’t tell DD8 I said that, she :heart: him!)

I tend to agree. There certainly has been a lot of rumors lately.

This is certainly a nice idea, considering the great big stinking pile of poo that is “Under New Management”.

As always, I’ll adopt a “Wait and see” attitude.

My thoughts exactly. I do agree, however, that many of the attractions listed are WAY due for something. COP and TGMR are at the top of the list. they need to be up to date for the times we are in.

Exciting news; thanks for the post, Chris! To my knowledge I’ve never done the original Tiki-room, and though the “new management” was fun the first time…yeah.

Yay birds!

[QUOTE=Screever;850233]Exciting news; thanks for the post, Chris! To my knowledge I’ve never done the original Tiki-room, and though the “new management” was fun the first time…yeah.

Yay birds![/QUOTE]

youtube has some pretty decent videos of the original…

oh great! could you post some links please. I only find the videos of the “new management”

I think some updates are definitely needed.

As for the rumors…I’ll believe it when I see it.

I’ve never seen as many crazy rumors on MB as the last week or two. Some are so far out there I can’t believe any of them at this point.

I think a lot of this sounds fabulous and would have the added advantage of ensuring Carousel of Progress stays around longer. :happy:

I enjoy Under New Management but on the other hand it’s kind of contextual, since its whole focus is on how it’s different from the original, which now many guests have never seen in the first place.

I would love a return to the classic…I can’t stand the “under new management”. I like Gilbert (spent a day as his wrangler at a charity event) but that show is just way to much Gilbert Godfrey for me.

If they do redo it back towards the original I hope they rebuild the show so it is a little more random. Have it change by throwing in random songs and dialog so you never know exactly what you will get (there could be so much of this type of singing and banter in the tiki room). Maybe sometime even throw in a little Stitch…a little stitch.

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;850100]Me too . . . some of the rumors are crazy! :blink:

I still don’t see how Stitch would fit in over there . . . and unless a new flick comes out soon . . . he’s kinda a (gasp) has-been! :laugh::laugh:

(don’t tell DD8 I said that, she :heart: him!)[/QUOTE]

Well, the Hawaiian flare of Lilo & Stitch would work. But I agree that Stitch has been “done.” Unfortunately, he’s the only non-Pixar hit Disney has had in years.

I haven’t done the Tiki Room for a long time. I don’t think a refurb is going to draw crowds back.

Oh, I like that idea! That way it wouldn’t be the same show every time – and Disney is moving toward more and more “unpredictable” shows and events (the interactive Turtle Talk and Laugh Floor, and the randomized Tower of Terror). Having Stitch might be expensive if they aren’t going to use him every time, so perhaps it’s best not to.

I don’t think Stitch is at all a failure or has-been – he had one theatrical movie, two direct to DVD releases which set up and gave an actual, final happy ending conclusion (!!) to a three-year, 65-episode animated series, and they’re apparently doing an anime-series remake of it for the Japanese market set in a more Japanese context (!!!). (And you can believe I’ll snatch that one up the moment it’s available!)

:biggrin:

David