Tipping?

I don’t want to beat a dead horse about this, but DH is sorta upset about the tipping situation when you eat at a buffet…how can they expect you to tip for a buffet 15 to 18%

thoughts???

Honestly, I think the servers work just as hard clearing dirty plates as they do bringing me my food once. I just don’t see any difference in how much work they do during the meal, they visit the table just as often and refill my drink just as often. If the buffet was set up where you have to refill your own drink and return your dirty plate to a certain area on your way back to the buffet then I would agree but you server does all that at a WDW buffet.

:mickey: good points!!!
thats what i was trying to explain to him…i know we will tip them, i would never NOT kwim…
Thank u!!

Exactly what DisneyTeacher said. Plus the only REAL difference is the server isn’t taking your food order and having it brought out. Meanwhile, everything else is the same. Last trip our servers were awesome, super fantastic and we ended up double tipping 2 different one’s. Fil tipped 20% then we tipped another 20%. With a 12 yr old, 7 yr old, 5 yr old, 3 yr old, and 1 yr old at the table, lord knows they earned it.

I wish someone would tip ME at dinner time around this house. :glare:

Speaking as the mother of a child who worked her little tushy off at LeCellier…tell you husband that a lot of these kids are living on $2.00 an hour and ramen noodles. Because that is the truth. He might not see the work they are doing - but believe me - they deserve a 15% tip.

It all depends on level of service. We have had floor staff at buffets who were on top of their game. Glasses never empty, plates cleared and new silverware when we got up for another plate, or even special Disney treats for the kids. And then there are the servers who are in character. These servers deserve better than the typical 5-10% buffet gratuity, minimum 15%, usually 20%. We always tip the buffet staff well if they are attentive and just remember to smile. Nothing says BLAH more than a server with a frown on their face to start your day at breakfast or after a long day in the parks.

NOW…we have also had the server who filled out a check, brought our one and only drink along with the final bill at the same time. 5-10% it is for them. And a comment card to WDW after we return home about the facility and level of service.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1020407]It all depends on level of service. We have had floor staff at buffets who were on top of their game. Glasses never empty, plates cleared and new silverware when we got up for another plate, or even special Disney treats for the kids. And then there are the servers who are in character. These servers deserve better than the typical 5-10% buffet gratuity, minimum 15%, usually 20%. We always tip the buffet staff well if they are attentive and just remember to smile. Nothing says BLAH more than a server with a frown on their face to start your day at breakfast or after a long day in the parks.

NOW…we have also had the server who filled out a check, brought our one and only drink along with the final bill at the same time. 5-10% it is for them. And a comment card to WDW after we return home about the facility and level of service.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your input!!
btw, we got the same countdown!!
have fun!!!

I totally understand, i would never not tip…thank you for your input :smile:

I feel the same at DT and besides I’m so much happier to tip on a $30 ish per person total than a $ 50 ish per person total.

Glad I am not the only person who feels this way.

Glad you mentioned that Llama- I think many people don’t realize that waitstaff make so little. I know we’ve had so many discussions about tipping, but it bears repeating. Less than minimum wage is impossible to live on.

As far as the original question, I think we might make more of a mess with all of the extra plates at a buffet, so we tip like we would at a regular restaurant (non-buffet).

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1020407]
NOW…we have also had the server who filled out a check, brought our one and only drink along with the final bill at the same time. 5-10% it is for them. And a comment card to WDW after we return home about the facility and level of service.[/QUOTE]

Definately a point worth dicussing. I have had HORRIBLE wait staff and have tipped them to reflect their service…poorly! I hate to say it twice, but I had such a horrible experience with a certain towncar company (no not quicksilver) on a return trip to the airport that I didn’t tip at all…she was lucky I didn’t hit her after the road-rage trip to death she almost took me on.:laugh:

Sounds like she should have paid you for the trip to MCO.:eek:

Once you get bad service at a buffet, you will appreciate the good wait staff.

Keep my drinks full and the dirty plates moving, make sure the kids are well served and tended to, be pleasant - you’ve earned your tip from me.

We usually tip well when we go out to eat. For many reasons… mainly because it’s a job that I could never do. It’s not below me… I just don’t have the ability, stamina or smarts to keep all of that straight. I would never say it’s an easy job at all. Also, some places we go to the wait staff has to split it with the kitchen staff.

That being said I think it’s good that they add it to your bill. I had a friend at work that was a waitress at a buffet type place and she always got jilted on tips. A big group would come in and not leave her a tip or only give her a small tip. On the other hand, something I didn’t realize and only found out from knowing her is that if the tip is charged or debited they don’t get it right away. Really stunk because she was always having money issues and could have used the money right away. So I usually like to give cash and I never leave it at the table but give it right to my waiter. Never know who might walk by and take it.

I’ve waited tables in my day in it’s not easy work, plus I personally never had bad service at disney. You can see how they appreciate a nice tip. :laugh:

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1020407]It all depends on level of service. We have had floor staff at buffets who were on top of their game. Glasses never empty, plates cleared and new silverware when we got up for another plate, or even special Disney treats for the kids. And then there are the servers who are in character. These servers deserve better than the typical 5-10% buffet gratuity, minimum 15%, usually 20%. We always tip the buffet staff well if they are attentive and just remember to smile. Nothing says BLAH more than a server with a frown on their face to start your day at breakfast or after a long day in the parks.

[I]NOW…we have also had the server who filled out a check, brought our one and only drink along with the final bill at the same time.[/I] 5-10% it is for them. And a comment card to WDW after we return home about the facility and level of service.[/QUOTE]

We ALWAYS tip appropriately whether it’s good service or not. Amt determines quality of service. Having waited tables for 4 yrs I know what type of situations would be beyond their control if poor service was being received. Having said that, I wonder if Pixie is referring to the automatic grautity added at buffets. Being a party of 6 often, I hate the fact that the automatic 18% is added at buffets when service received is that of what P&R mentioned above.

WOW this keeps coming up. i personally tip (not a very British thing to do) even at buffets- i think the staff work very hard they might not “wait on you” like other restaurants but i bet most of us use a lot of plates etc…

however i feel that leaving such a large tip all the time is only helping to promote low pay… its time the restaurants (not just in Disney) paid a living wage so the tip becomes a bonus not a need…:heart:

Yes thats sorta what i meant, we are a party of 6 as well…i have no problem with tipping, DH tips more then the suggested amount usually, so i guess the only thing is what P&R mentioned, it depends on the service, etc.
if i know my DH, he likes to complain but yet always does the right thing, thanks guys!!

Last year DW and I celebrated our anniversary at Crystal Palace, we are members of Tables in Wonderland, so the 18% tip is already included. Our server, Linda, went above and beyond to make our special day even more so, we added more of a gratutity on our own…it was one of, if not the, highlight meal of our trip, and it had nothing to do withh food quality, everything to do with exceptional service. From a guest standpoint, few things make me happier than being waited on by someone who truly enjoys what he/she is doing. It was one of those times that sets Disney apart from the rest, and why we go every year. I have less than zero problem doing what I guess would be considered “over-tipping” when it’s deserved, whether the server actually took my order, or kept my table clear and coffee mug full…:happy: