Tips for a trip with a fractured ankle - please?

Howdy folks… first my apologies for being a bad MB’er the past several months. Life has been interesting.

So, three weeks out from our mini-trip to WDW, my youngest daughter (9 years old) fractured her ankle during gym class. Everyone still wants to do the trip, but it’s just dawning on us how clueless we are. Any and all tips would be fantastic.

We find out tomorrow what the prognosis will be, but I have to assume that a wheelchair is going to be our best bet.

Are we going to be better off taking a wheelchair with us? Considering that we’re flying (with a connecting flight on the way down - ugh), we’re going to need something at the airports. I guess that makes the most sense?

I’ve done almost no prep for this trip, so this twist on top of things have really thrown me for a loop. :blink:

Bruce

The best thing is the wheelchair with leg rest if possible just in case it starts to swell she can prop it up also should take the wheelchair not rent it with you… Most DME companies will let you take the rentals on a trip.

First, call the airline and let them know you have someone who will require having her foot up during the flight. And DO IT NOW!!! Have your Doc write a note and this should be all that is required. Also stress the fact w/ your Doc that you are going to travel by air. They do get busy. Depending what type of cast (plaster/fiberglass which does not expand well with swelling or a boot type cast which can be adjusted) there might be flight restrictions (read as no flying :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: ).

As to wheel chairs, I would call each airport and make sure you can use one from the drop area off to gate. You might also be able to use the airport electric cart system where they will take you to the gate once bags are checked. At 9 y/o she should be able to walk down the jet way from the inside gate to her seat.

Last but not least call WDW themselves and check on Allears for not only wheelchair rentals but also the extensive information on “WDW with Disabilities”. You will be amazed at the amount of info and great tips. It will be much easier if you do not have to carry a wheelchair.

Good luck.

Oh, one more thing. Keep a plastic trash bag (or two/three/four) handy each day for wet rides and rain (Splash Mtn, Kali River, etc).

I have never had that trouble with anything… but I think that Disney would be the easiest place to get around with a wheelchair… More than anywhere. Have fun if you go!

Keep her ankle away from people w/strollers!

and those on electric wheelchairs some of those people are brutal

ugh my daughter almost got plowed over by them things!!!

but yes disney is extremely accomodating! expect short wait times too!!!

We did the fractured ankle trip in June of 2008 my DD broke her ankle while sliding into second base at softball practice. We ended up renting a wheelchair for the length of our stay they gave us cards and everyday we went and got the wheelchair and they would stamp one of the cards and then we would returned it and get a new wheelchair at each park once it is stamped you are good to go for the day

This exact situation happened to me when I was 13 years old. We lived in South Florida back then and were driving up so I was lucky that we weren’t in a plane but otherwise we didn’t have much of a problem. Upon check-in we actually explained the situation to the front desk and they were nice enough to place us in a room close to the elevator and in a building close to the lobby of the resort.

I know this was 17 years ago but I am going to assume that management at the resort would still try to be as accomodating as possible, especially if you had a Dr.'s note.

I never used a wheelchair or crutches, my foot was just wrapped tightly and had on the most comfortable shoes possible. Your daughter’s Dr. may advise some sort of support device to help her get around. Fortunately I was on the more recovering end of the injury so it wasn’t too terrible.

I think you may also be able to get a medical pass from Guest Relations with your Dr.'s note. It seems like it would be best for your daughter not to stand in long lines that could aggrivate the injury so maybe a medical pass would help.

Good luck! I just remember putting my feet up as often as possible, taking it really slow, and icing it in the hotel room at night.

…EDIT… Whoops I’m sorry, I just saw that you said a FRACTURED ankle, for some reason I thought we were talking about a sprained ankle here. Slightly more serious.

Not sure if it’s for all resorts, but AKL had a wheelchair available for guests at the resort. I really helped with getting my Mom down the long hallways to her room.

True story: Last trip, DFIL ran into the back of DMIL with his scooter. So hard she had to go to the First aid station.

But HEY! It wasn’t his fault - she should have moved. That was a great conversation at the Crystal Palace. I felt like I was in a sit-com.

Sadly(?) this was their last trip w/us.

My mom uses a wheelchair when we visit WDW. We utilized wheelchairs available at the airport by making arrangements through the airlines. There was no charge for this. We also made arrangements to rent a wheelchair through Buena Vista Scooters once at WDW. Rates were reasonable and they pick up and drop off at your hotel. There are a limited supply of wheelchairs availabe at the hotels but you can’t reserve them so if you only rent at the park there is no guarantee you will have one when you are not in the park. Sometimes you don’t realize just how much walking you do outside of the parks!

Sorry about the ankle. I am sure everything will be fine. Follow the great advice you just got and rent the wheelchair once at WDW and call your airlines to use one at the airport. It won’t hurt to contact your resort or the CRO and have it noted on your reservation so you can be located in a room that will be on the first floor.

I would suggest renting a wheelchair from home and bringing it with you. That way, you’ll always have it and won’t have to worry about returning it and getting a new one as you make your way from the airport to the resorts and the parks. Since she is only nine years old, I’m assuming she’s still relatively small, and a standard size adult wheelchair is probably alot for her to handle, not to mention not very comfortable. You might look into renting a child-size wheelchair.

Thanks for all of the advice folks. She got her cast today, and it will be on for 4 weeks… so we definitely know a wheelchair is a necessity. By the time of our trip, she will be able to put some weight on it… so that might come in handy.

Delta has a wheelchair service, and we’re pretty much forced to use it because our connecting flight is about 45 minutes after we land; they won’t guarantee that a wheelchair that we bring will be immediately available at the gate.

Wish us luck. I’ll be sure to post how it all works out in case anyone finds themselves in the same situation.

Bruce

Okay, we’re back from our trip. Here’s what I learned…

We rented a wheelchair from Walker Mobility Wheeled electric scooter & wheelchair rental products. They had the best rate that I found for our length of stay, I was able to make all of the arrangments online, the chair was waiting for us at WL, and we dropped it off at WL when we left. It worked exactly as advertised, and I would highly recommend Walker Mobility.

Unfortunately, Delta’s Wheelchair Service was a problem. Unless someone randomly left a wheelchair around the gate, there was never a wheelchair waiting for us as advertised. The worst case was our connecting flight when we had 15 minutes, and there was no wheelchair at the gate and the Delta rep said it would take 5-10 minutes to get one.

DME threw us for a loop. On the return trip, they dropped all of us at Terminal A (Delta and their wheelchairs are in Terminal B :pinch:). I later realized that they did this because everyone on the bus had their boarding passes, so it was more convenient.

If I had to do it again (and hopefully I never will), I think I might have just brought our own wheelchair. I wouldn’t trust Delta ever again.

Guest Relations did not ask for a doctor’s note, and we had our Guest Assistance Card within minutes. We were never asked to show it during our trip.

We lucked out that our daughter was able to put some weight on her ankle and do some walking. It was easy for her to transfer from the wheelchair. Our only real issue in WDW were the small brown boats that go between the WL and MK. There was no good place to store or sit with the wheelchair. The larger yellow boats were great… you just wheel on and park.

If anyone has any specific questions, let me know.

Thanks for everyone’s advice; it was very helpful, and I can completely understand why people have differing opinions.

Bruce

Bruce, what is the Guest Assistance Card you speak of?

Great question… :blush:

I’m doing this from memory. The card basically says that the named guest needs special assistance at the attractions; it also notes the number of people in your party and the dates for your stay.

Technically, if you have one you are supposed to show it to the Cast Member at the entrance gate, and they will let you know what to do. In our case, we never had to show the card since I guess it was obvious.

Oh, here’s a good description of the purpose of the card from allears.net: The Card does not allow you to bypass the normal waits at each attraction. It is designed to provide “more convenient entrance” into most attractions. In some cases, this entrance may be through the attraction’s FASTPASS return line or the attraction’s exit. The Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities will list the special entrance to use for each attraction, as well as any special effects (e.g., loud noises or flashing lights) in the attraction.

Bruce

very good. thank you :smile: