Tips for Chef Mickey

First time going to Chef Mickey, I am looking for seating section suggestions, in terms of where characters start and end, better air and service in relation to kitchen.

If they do something special, what seats give me the best view of the show(ex ohana parade).

I want to maximize the experience by going to the pros. Thanks alot in advance for any help.

We’re going to Chef Mickey’s for the first time as well on our upcoming trip. We’re doing breakfast, if that makes a difference in anyone’s suggestion.

Looking forward to the results of this thread.

I honestly never heard of being able to request a seat assignment. Really, all seats are good in that you will get visited by all the characters, and the tables are all near the buffet. Enjoy!

When you arrive, you will be given an opportunity to get a picture with Goofy or Donald at the entrance. You are then seated at your table. The meal is buffet-style. Really, there is nothing special about the restaurant in terms of atmosphere (I find it a bit stark, but that’s how I feel about all of the Contemporary Resort.)

Each character will visit your table one time, posing for pictures and signing autographs. There is no show to watch and no one table is better than any of the others, because the characters come to you.

I’ve never heard of anyone requesting select seating. When you arrive at check-in, you will simply be given the next available table.

You have no choice in where you are seated. It doesn’t matter. You get the same amount of time and attention from the characters regardless. They do an excellent job there - enjoy!

We have been to Chef Mickey’s a dozen times and it doesn’t matter where you are seated. The characters go to every table and spend the time needed to get your pictures and autographs taken care of. There is nothing special they do that would require a special table to see, so don’t worry about trying to get a perfect table, they’re all the same.

They’ve stopped stationing one of the character chefs for pics, though the picture spot remains for family portraits with an attendant photopass CM.
They’ve decided they get a better flow by having all the characters circulate.

For seating, there are two main areas, the first is under the monorail beam. This area has a lower ceiling, some windows at the extreme edge of that dining room, and good air circulation.
The better area, even if it’s farther from the serving lines, is the dining room at the south end of the building. There’s plenty of natural light, but the windows are partially covered so you can’t see outside when you’re seated.
There’s a new third dining area off to the left, in space taken from the Outer Rim Bar during the last renovation.
Wherever you sit, you will see all of the characters, probably twice.
IF you’re dining near the end of service, character wranglers will ask if you’ve seen all the characters yet, and if not, they steer those you haven’t, your way.

As said above, you don’t really get a choice of where you’re seated because Chef Mickey’s is always pretty crowded, and all seats are good seats.

This is the new character photo op with a PhotoPass CM - http://www.flickr.com/photos/vshingleton/7652053812/. They sell the photo for $30-35, I believe. Kind of a rip-off. (This is one of the things I think Disney could do better on - if photos at the meals were, say, $15, we’d probably buy one at each meal. But instead, since they’re a whopping $30, we buy maybe one a trip.)

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1117288]As said above, you don’t really get a choice of where you’re seated because Chef Mickey’s is always pretty crowded, and all seats are good seats.

This is the new character photo op with a PhotoPass CM - DSC_8138 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!. They sell the photo for $30-35, I believe. Kind of a rip-off. (This is one of the things I think Disney could do better on - if photos at the meals were, say, $15, we’d probably buy one at each meal. But instead, since they’re a whopping $30, we buy maybe one a trip.)[/QUOTE]

You can take your own picture and the photo pass person will almost always take your group’s picture with your camera as well.

I should have been paying a little better attention when I booked Akershus for dinner. About $45 each for three adults (one was 12:wacko:) and I overlooked the “included” photo package.
But hey, it was my niece’s first trip and her mother said she wanted to see princesses.

Speaking of taking pictures, while my niece posed for the professional, I took a couple pics as well.
By a couple, I mean 30. I put the camera in rapid shot mode, thinking that I’d be able to rip off a couple shots quickly. What this camera does is shoot about 3 seconds of video and then convert a lot of the frames into individual pictures. Great, 30 versions of nearly the same shot:dry:

It’s not one picture anyway. It’s a package with an 8x10 and a couple 4x5s.
As if that really makes a difference.:wink:

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1117273]They’ve stopped stationing one of the character chefs for pics, though the picture spot remains for family portraits with an attendant photopass CM.
They’ve decided they get a better flow by having all the characters circulate.

[/QUOTE]

So, we’re back to the “Disney charges more and gives you less” discussion. That really is a cheap cut back. That posed picture at the front was a great shot, and when I’ve gone, I’ve never seen the line held up by it. :dry:

I disagree. There are still five characters in rotation. If anything, they added an additional photo opportunity.

Okay, I guess. Kind of.

My first time there, we met Goofy at the gate. Our table was visited by Mickey, Minnie, Chip, Dale, & Stitch (who kept coming back to tease my kids).

That’s exactly the point.
If you have Goofy stuck as a greeter, he isn’t free to go to tables.
Chef Goofy was the greeter the last couple times we had eaten there.
Now instead, you’ve got all 5 characters visiting all of the tables, giving people who didn’t want to do the posed picture time with the character who was previously tied up.

Right now, over at Tusker House, Donald only does posed pictures outside the restaurant while the other three characters visit guests at tables.

I have never seen Stitch at Chef Mickey’s during the 21st Century.
They switched out Chip and Dale for Donald about 4 years ago now, around the same time the took Chip and Dale out of Cape May.

The current line up is Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Donald, and Goofy.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1117350]I have never seen Stitch at Chef Mickey’s during the 21st Century. They switched out Chip and Dale for Donald about 4 years ago now, around the same time the took Chip and Dale out of Cape May.

The current line up is Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Donald, and Goofy.[/QUOTE]

It was 7 years ago, on DS’ 4th birthday. That’s the year they launched the fiasco called “Stitch’s Great Escape.” The castle was toilet papered, and Stitch was EVERYWHERE. We got kind of tired of seeing him by the end of the trip.

2004 or 2005?
We didn’t see Stitch there either of those years.

Yes, Stitch was everywhere on monorail trains but I missed the castle being TP’ed.
It could well be that Stitch was there for an extremely short time that year as a special character. In my experience, the only restaurant I’ve ever seen Stitch is 'Ohana in the mornings.

I just did a little looking before I hit send.
The Stitch Great Escape opened in November 2004, which was after our only visit that year and we would not return until October 2005.
And of course, in 2005, they moved into the Disneyland 50th birthday celebration which ran from May 2005 through the end of 2006.
It’s possible I did just miss Stitch because of the timing of our visit against the timing of the opening.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I have actually requested and been granted a particular section for Ohana, I prefer to sit where they start the parade. Give me more shots of the baby near lilo and stitch. It is those lil advantaged I was referring to. SOUNDGOD, thanks for the tips, I like the info provided, and will follow up.

We use the character meals to allow our new guests(we take a different family every trip) to get their Mickey pics, that way we dont wait at MK for that opportunity. Saves a lot of time. We alsways drag breakfast, so the characters come around twice and we get more pics. Too me its worth it, since we do breakfast on our relax day, this particualr visit, we will head to Tampa to see the Rays. So Breakfast will be the kids highlight of the day.

The professional pics are nice, I buy them once in a while, more due to price, but I get good pics on my own.

Single digit dancing!

Stitch at Chef Mickey’s, January 5, 2005.

And there it is.
Two months after our stay at Contemporary and 10 months before our next meal at Chef Mickey’s (October 2005).
Stitch was short lived at CM’s.
By the way, did I ever say I doubted you?
Just wondered when and now I know.
It even makes sense.

Now, here’s a new question, when in 2004 did Stitch make his first appearance at CM.
Could it be possible that I was more intent on surprising my wife with our staying there instead of the Poly and I don’t remember Stitch being there in late October 2004?

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1117776]And there it is.
Two months after our stay at Contemporary and 10 months before our next meal at Chef Mickey’s (October 2005).
Stitch was short lived at CM’s.
By the way, did I ever say I doubted you?
Just wondered when and now I know.
It even makes sense.

Now, here’s a new question, when in 2004 did Stitch make his first appearance at CM.
Could it be possible that I was more intent on surprising my wife with our staying there instead of the Poly and I don’t remember Stitch being there in late October 2004?[/QUOTE]

Didn’t think you doubted me. Just remembered I had a picture.

Didn’t they open Stitch’s Great Big Fail of an Escape in December 2004? Stitch was everywhere that January promoting the new attraction. Just wish they had spent as much time designing the new attraction!

They opened Stitch’s Chili Dog stand in November 2004 (according to Wiki at least), as I posted earlier.
And yes, I do recall the stories and articles about Stitch being all over the parks, or at least the MK area and monorails and wishing I could have seen some of it.

And then 2005 started and let me tell you, that was a very eventful and “moving” year for us.