Tips for first visit

Some good friends are taking their family to WDW this summer and asked for help planning their trip. We got together last night and came up with a rough schedule for their trip. They aren’t interested in many sit down meals but they did want to do Chef Mickey’s and I suggeted Sci Fi because it’s so different and the food is basic burgers.

I know I can’t make their trip perfect but I would like to give some tips to help them make the most of their trip. I’m making a list of tips and tricks, here’s what I have so far:

Tips:

Most important—relax and have fun. You won’t be able to do it all so don’t stress about all the things you aren’t doing, enjoy what you are doing.

Take a picture of your parking row every morning so you can find your car at the end of the day.

Take a picture of all of your park pass when you get them, Disney can replace lost passes with the information on the back of the pass/ticket.

Ask anyone who works for Disney any question you have, they are usually very willing to help you.

Pick up a times guide near the park maps as you are walking in each park.

Leave lots of time to get from one place to another, it always takes us longer than we think it should.

Now, give me your best tips for first time families (their boys will be 5 and 7 by the time they go).

With a young guy in the mix, if it says it is discretion advised, it may be too scary for your young one. We made the mistake of taking our 4 year old daughter into HISTA and 20 year later she still hates 3D movies.

If you plan on hitting all four parks during your stay, start with Animal Kingdom, then EPCOT, then MGM Studios, and then the Magic Kingdom. That way it just keeps getting more magical as you go.

[QUOTE=GrumpyDad;1127705]With a young guy in the mix, if it says it is discretion advised, it may be too scary for your young one. We made the mistake of taking our 4 year old daughter into HISTA and 20 year later she still hates 3D movies.

If you plan on hitting all four parks during your stay, start with Animal Kingdom, then EPCOT, then MGM Studios, and then the Magic Kingdom. That way it just keeps getting more magical as you go.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Their youngest is a bit shy and they are worried about him being scared of a lot of the attractions.

I like the idea of building the magic.

Remember to visit Push in tomorrowland. And turn left when rope drop happens at MK. almost every other living soul goes right so you can literally walk on to almost all the rides on the left side of the park all the way to splash mountain.

I really liked taking a break in the middle of the day when the kids were young. It is really important when it is really hot.
Give the kids some mickey money that they can spend themselves. I also had gotten little disney gift cards that were on a wrist bracelet. (don’t know if they still have them)

[QUOTE=dancing4disney;1127708]I really liked taking a break in the middle of the day when the kids were young. It is really important when it is really hot.
Give the kids some mickey money that they can spend themselves. I also had gotten little disney gift cards that were on a wrist bracelet. (don’t know if they still have them)[/QUOTE]

We still take breaks and our son is 14!!

They are staying off site so a break isn’t as convenient for them but I’m going to suggested it. They are thinking of taking a break some days and going to a water park to cool off other days.

They bought Disney Dollars and the boys are getting those throughout the year. They are loving it and they will have their spending money before going.

Thank you! I forgot all about PUSH, my son loved him.

My girls still love Push at 17.

I don’t think my son will ever outgrow PUSH.

Check which parks have EMH and avoid that park that day…we always do better at another park that day…the early morning advantage is not worth the crowds for the rest of the day IMHO----

Before I leave, I go thru the calendar on the disneywebsite and print out times of the parks, fireworks, parades etc…

Get an app to use on your smartphone if you have one…finding out wait times and meal reservations via the app is awesome…

[QUOTE=smallworld;1127715]Check which parks have EMH and avoid that park that day…we always do better at another park that day…the early morning advantage is not worth the crowds for the rest of the day IMHO----

Before I leave, I go thru the calendar on the disneywebsite and print out times of the parks, fireworks, parades etc…

Get an app to use on your smartphone if you have one…finding out wait times and meal reservations via the app is awesome…[/QUOTE]

Thanks! We went through the EMH schedule and avoided them since they’re staying off site (and maybe not getting hoppers) but I haven’t printed out any times.

They do have a smart phone and we talked about apps so they’ll at least have wait times and menus.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1127716]Thanks! We went through the EMH schedule and avoided them since they’re staying off site (and maybe not getting hoppers) but I haven’t printed out any times.

They do have a smart phone and we talked about apps so they’ll at least have wait times and menus.[/QUOTE]

I am not tethered to my smartphone, but I did use the apps last trip…

And here’s something I forgot to mention—and this goes for anyone going and using a smartphone a lot…

If you use your smartphone alot during the day, and are concerned about it draining down, Ray-o-vac makes this small cell phone battery extender that comes with adapter plugs for any type of cell phone…I bought one to use during power outages here but took it to WDW as well. (didn’t need it but took it) It’s small and lightweight. You charge it in the wall ahead of time and slip it in your backpack—it will give you 6 hours additional talk time if you need it…

Just an FYI for anyone reading… :happy:

The unofficial guide to WDW is an awesome research tool. They have a section which outlines the ‘scare factor’ of attractions for children. This should be a huge help to them.

Your welcome. No really, don’t mention it, I don’t mind. Oh quit it, really, this is embarrassing

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;1127723]The unofficial guide to WDW is an awesome research tool. They have a section which outlines the ‘scare factor’ of attractions for children. This should be a huge help to them.

Your welcome. No really, don’t mention it, I don’t mind. Oh quit it, really, this is embarrassing[/QUOTE]

:laugh: I gave them a copy last night along with the color photo book by the same people. I hasn’t seen the smaller color picture book before but it looked interesting for people who have no idea what they are about to do and see. I also directed them to Allears so look over the menus.

Plenty of water if they are going duing the hot season. Remember, you can get free cups of ice water at any CS, so no need to pay for bottled water (that can add up!) We ususally purchase one bottle in the morning, and then transfer the cold cups of water into the bottle the remainder of the day. Easier to carry. Also, at MK, the water fountains with the large square bases are much colder and taste better. I’m assuming there is some type of filtration system under those boxes.

Also, during parades, or just crowded streets. Walk through the stores on main street to get from one end to the other. Gives you a chance to cool off in the AC.

Absolutely most important tip for that age: Take a break in the middle of the day!

Go back to the room if you can, and have a treat, a dip in the pool, a nap if they like. Then head back out for more fun with happy, rested, refreshed kids!

If you can’t get back to the room for a much-needed break, find a quiet spot to sit down and people-watch, or try these locations to dial down the sensory overload for a bit:

MK - Tom Sawyer Island, where the kids can explore or rock in a rocking chair.

EC or HS - take a leisurely ride on a Friendship Launch over to Beach Club, where you can enjoy an ice cream at Beaches & Cream and lay around on the sand beach for a break.

AK - Wildlife Express train to Rafiki’s Planet Watch and Conservation Station, where there are plenty of shady spots to relax, and animals to pet.

If avoiding EMH try to pick the park that had EMH the day prior as many won’t hit it again.

{On saving the best for last…be careful with that. We tried that last trip- AK, EP, HS then MK. On our HS day I went head 1st into a slide at BB and got a concussion, thus literally ruining our best for last.}

FP hot attractions and standby the slower ones in between. MK is a wagon wheel with the castle in the hub. Point A to Point B doesn’t have to go all with way around. Cut through.

Get passports for the kids at EP and have them stamped at all the kidcots. Many will write a special msg in their language in them.

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1127768]If avoiding EMH try to pick the park that had EMH the day prior as many won’t hit it again.

{On saving the best for last…be careful with that. We tried that last trip- AK, EP, HS then MK. On our HS day I went head 1st into a slide at BB and got a concussion, thus literally ruining our best for last.}

FP hot attractions and standby the slower ones in between. MK is a wagon wheel with the castle in the hub. Point A to Point B doesn’t have to go all with way around. Cut through.

Get passports for the kids at EP and have them stamped at all the kidcots. Many will write a special msg in their language in them.[/QUOTE]

I forgot about the passports!! Excellent idea…my DD loved collecting at EP.

Thanks for all the great tips, I’m adding them to my list.

Since they will be off site they might think they have to bring EVERYTHING to the park in the am. If they wnat to bring water and snacks like we periodically did I would drop a majority at the lockers entering the park. Everyone had a water bottle in hand, but no one perrson was loaded down all day. And freezing water bottles works great.
We also learned quickly that a cheap poncho, sunglasses, small sunscreen and a couple of the single drink mix packets all fit well in a small hip sack for the kids. And it makes the WDW water taste better. We use the $1.00 ponchos ffrom walmart/kmart and the drink mixes from walmart. They have the regular mix flavors and also grab some Gatorade packs to reload electrolytes through the day.
Small bottle of Advil is a lifesaver. Reload the mini bottle from a bigger one each day if needed.
Let them carry some of the load. Then mom and dad can lighten their load not having to lug around a backpack.
If you must bring a camera, buy a small one they can slip into a side pocket of a carry pack.
Like others have said… RELAX. I drove my family crazy with planning charts and ressies we HAD TO MAKE come heck or high water. Let the boys maintain some control of the schedule. If one of the boys is done and wants to sit then find a bench and split up.
Break in shoes a minimum of 30 days before they leave.