Tips & Gratuities

We’ve been having this discussion about tips and gratuities around the table here. So I thought I would throw it out to you all…What % do you usually tip during a meal, especially at buffets? What about Character Dining, do you generally tip more?

Thanks in advance!

This question always gets lots of fun responses :laugh:

We are a couple with no kids so generally I tip anywhere between 15%-18% for normal service. 20% for excellent service.
At buffets we’ll do the same and it equals out to about $2.00-$3.00 a person. Some people like to tip per person at buffets since the waitresses typically don’t have as much work to do as in a normal table service type place. However, I ONLY eat buffets at Disney and every time I’ve done a buffet there the service has been extraordinary so I generally just go with the 20% rule. I am almost positive that the characters are not given a cut of the tips but I could be totally wrong about that.

These days, guests are prodded really hard to tip 18%.
I’m usually lazy and tip 20% on the total, however Disney’s receipts all show 18% before tax.
In this softening economy, I don’t know how many people are cutting back to 15% and how many are “guilted” into leaving 18% and 20%.

Personally i always tip at 20% or higher. I very rarely tip below 20%. It is just a personal thing for me since growing up my moms tips are what fed my brothers and I.

Having been raised in the bar and restaurant business (family owned), and having done some serving also, I always tip at least 20%…more if the service was exceptional.

I worked as a waiter many years ago, and still remember the rewards of great service, and what I expect. We will tip 20% as a standard. More if the service is exceptional, and a little less is the service is not so good (this happens very rarely). We don’t tend to tip differently from buffet to character meal.

DH has a “system” for tipping. Haha! :laugh: Our servers always start with 20% at the beginning of the meal. We don’t require much to keep that 20%, just filled drinks and a correct meal (we tend to subsitute side dishes and I like things “on the side” because I can’t stand my food touching my other food). I think DH takes off 5% for each of these things if they’re neglected. We don’t care if our wait is long or whatever. We enjoy a casual meal as far as time goes. I don’t think we’ve ever tipped less than 10%. And, at WDW, I’ve never run into an issue with service.

During full-service meals we always tip 20%, we’ve almost never had enough of a problem with a server to NOT give 20% in WDW. With buffets we generally do 15%-18% depending.

Strangely enough, it may be because we’re a party of only 2 adults, we’ve had the experience SEVERAL times at a buffet meal where we were seated, drink orders taken, given one soda & water, & NEVER saw the server again. Strange, right? I just can’t justify giving 18% for that.

It depends. Buffet w/o seeing a server after the first drink might get 10%. Stop by a few times and we leave 15-20% depending on frequency and attitude. All other sit down meals are always 15% because we have found that even a poor server in WDW is usually much better than an average waiter else where. Just interact, smile and don’t hover constantly so we can relax when we sit down and enjoy the experience and 25% is not uncommon.
Pam and I have logged many years in F&B. We expect a certain level of customer service.
And if the food is bad please do not take it out on the wait staff. Ask for the manager. That happens far to often. Don’t shoot the messanger unless it is something so obvious that they should have picked it up

I must say, I like that system. I like it a lot.

Wait times have nothing to do with the server, most of the time, so I agree with what you have said there too.

We tip at least 20% because we are too lazy to figure out anything less.

I think we leave around 18% - 20% depending on service. I always get annoyed when we have really really poor service and still have to leave a tip, probably because over here in the UK, tipping is a whole different game!

Because of the TIW card, we always leave about 18%. I say about 18% cause my DH like round numbers. He will add 92 cents (or whatever) to round it up to the next buck. But it looks funny. Since the tip is already added, it looks like we are only tipping 92 cents. But even without the card, we still tip the same % at both buffets and TS. Only once did I feel like tipping less. The restaurant at the land (can’t think of the name), we had one server sit down with us. We didn’t invite her, in fact I had to move a bag before she sat on it. So she then told us how tired she was, she was helping her mom move, mom’s rent had jumped, etc and so on. My DH and I stopped eating while she rambled on. We thought it was really really weird. I wanted to leave less tip, but DH still went with the normal amount.

I agree! tipping here in the UK is not expected at all. People do tip, however, nothing negative would be thought if a customer chose not to leave a tip.
We get a little note inside Disney checks that ‘informs international visitors of how tipping works in the USA and advises a gratuity of 20%’
I think at buffet dinners the gratuity is debateable as we tend to do most of the serving ourselves. However, we do appreciate that servers are generally on a low or minimum wage and do leave the suggested amount, but really feel that there is a problem with the minimum wage system that seriously needs addressing if workers have to rely on tips to subsidise a wage.

Question about tips…I was reading about the Hoop De do musical review on allears. It stated tip is included. Is this true? What about at the castle?

We usually tip %20. Depends on service. Once we have a horrible meal at ohanas for breakfast and I swear I didn’t want to leave her anything. She was totally rude. Didn’t care about anything.

Question about tips…I was reading about the Hoop De do musical review on allears. It stated tip is included. Is this true? What about at the castle?

We usually tip %20. Depends on service. Once we have a horrible meal at ohanas for breakfast and I swear I didn’t want to leave her anything. She was totally rude. Didn’t care about anything.

seriously, I totally agree.

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;949032]Question about tips…I was reading about the Hoop De do musical review on allears. It stated tip is included. Is this true? What about at the castle?

We usually tip %20. Depends on service. Once we have a horrible meal at ohanas for breakfast and I swear I didn’t want to leave her anything. She was totally rude. Didn’t care about anything.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;949032]Question about tips…I was reading about the Hoop De do musical review on allears. It stated tip is included. Is this true? What about at the castle?

We usually tip %20. Depends on service. Once we have a horrible meal at ohanas for breakfast and I swear I didn’t want to leave her anything. She was totally rude. Didn’t care about anything.[/QUOTE]

The meal was so bad she decided to tell us twice. :tongue:

Wow, this is tempt-fate day–a refillable mug thread and a gratuity thread topping the list. MB’ers, let’s control ourselves… (lol)

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;949031]Question about tips…I was reading about the Hoop De do musical review on allears. It stated tip is included. Is this true? What about at the castle?
[/QUOTE]

Im pretty sure on our last vist when we had breakfast at the Castle we were not required to tip as it was included but maybe someone else can clarify this?

I tip well…really well. You have to seriously screw up my meal or act like a jerk to not get a decent at worse tip from me. Having many jobs serving people (waitress and bartender), I know what it is to get lousy tips even when you provide excellent service. I really go out of my way to make up for the cheapos who tip poorly. 20% is average for me…at character meals, I tip per servings etc…($1 per plate, $1 per drink refill or something like that). I tip bartenders either $2 per drink if I have to “cash out” after each drink or I go by the hour they have to entertain me…If I chill out for two or three drinks, I tip a flat $10, if I am stuck there forever cause DD is in the pool or whatever, I may leave $20…who knows…depends on the bartender and the service…and the entertainment because that’s sorta their job…lol People who handle my luggage for me get $5…towncar drivers get $10 one way…if I get anything special from housekeeping (extra towels or blankets) and they have to run them to me on the off time (not when they are cleaning my room), I give them $2-$3 depending on what I want and what time it is.

I want people to be happy that I am their guest and that they are waiting on me so I treat people very well in regards to tips. I have only NOT tipped once and that was a return trip to the airport with a towncar and that lady is pretty lucky that was all I did cause I really want to hit her.