Tips on Traveling with Toddlers

Do you have any tips on traveling with little ones (3yrs and under)? Share yours here! I’m in need of some tips, and I’m sure many others are looking for some too.

[U]The best tip I have read is:[/U]
When packing your little one’s suitcase, pack each outfit in a plastic zipper bag (shirt, shorts, socks, and hair clips for girls) that way everything is coordinated and it makes it super easy to grab and extra outfit to take to the parks with you that day. Then you have the plastic bag for wet or dirty clothes.

When my guys were little, (and even now to some extent) I made sure I had lots of treats, snacks on hand, little books, games, crayons, things to keep them busy and occupied. Bubbles are great for waiting in lines at the parks, those annoying books that make sounds are also great.

We are lucky to live about 2.5 hours away from Disney so we visit quite often. Because of this, we are more relaxed and go with the flow. I always try to keep the kids happy, following normal eating, napping and going to bed schedules. Make sure you always have a snack and drink for them because you never know when they will need it. Come with Motrin or other baby medicines that you use- we always end up needing it!! Don’t plan too much. Have a great time.

Flying or at the parks?

Flying:
-If in diapers bring extra. Just in case of layovers, you don’t want to run out. Also bring extra clothing and a sweater no matter the weather.

• Bring their comfort item if they aren’t use to flying. If they won’t sleep without the stuffed animal (and its reasonable) bring it along.
  • The changing tables in the bathrooms aren’t made for bigger kids so if your child is bigger pull ups work GREAT for those tiny bathrooms.
  • Bring your own straw cup from home and ask the flight attendant to fill it up before take off (or get a water after security). Its great for releaving air pressure from their ears
  • If you have a baby under two that still nurses, nurse during take off and landing to releave pressure in their ears and help keep them calm.
    -For an older baby/toddler, bring snacks and meals to last the trip. Don’t think its going to be close to meal time when you land so you will be fine. It takes a while to deplane, get luggage and find someplace to eat… longer if you have a crying baby.
  • A tip I read once about pottying toddlers, bring post it notes and stick then on the sensor that flushes the toilets… That way the toddler doesn’t accidently set off the sensor and get scared from the toilet flushing

Packing
-Pack some clothes for the child in each suit case. That way if one gets lost you aren’t in trouble

• If the child has sensitive skin bring their lotions/soaps from home. You might not be able to find them where you are going
  • Keep all medications in a seperate compartment that is harder for them to get into.

Parks

• Bring an extra change of clothes with you as well as a jacket
  • Try to sit in the back of the theatre so if the child gets upset you can leave easier
  • Have a snack and drink easily gotten to for when you are standing in line
  • A lot of toddlers get scared by characters, its normal.
  • If you can and don’t bring your own stroller go by Walmart or Target and pick up an umbrella stroller. I picked one up for 11.00 and a one day rental I believe is 14

Im sure there is more but its 1am and Im a bit sleep deprived so I can’t think off the top of my head

Get the light sticks from Home Depot before you leave home… Take them into the parks, and you can use them if they are scared in a dark place, and then you can use it at night-- It saves you from the $14 light up toy for the parade. My kids loved them. I get one for each day, for 2 kids, and I think I spent $14 total…

Bring a grandma along. :laugh:

Jo-jo that is a double edged sword… On the one hand, they are most helpful if you want to go to the bathroom by yourself. On the other hand, my kids have a grandma (they call her me-mommy) that will not tell them no. So, when they want 2,3,or 4 stuffed animals from the 900th gift shop , and I tell them no. it is a problem. She wants to buy them 4 stuffed animals at every gift shop. So, if grandma can restrain herself, and not interfere with discipline, then grandma can come…

Not speaking from experience or anything:)

We do have fun, because grandma acts like a kid-has pictures with mickey-by herself, etc…it is a riot…

if driving, make a coloring map of the trip. let them draw a line to from one city to the next. they will see how far it is away. If your trip is 8 hrs plus, leave so that a good portion of the time they are asleep. My drive can take anywhere from 12-15 hours. I leave at around 3pm. They watch a movie or two, we stop and eat, they watch another movie or two and then they fall asleep…leaving me driving through the night in peace and quiet. I woke them up in the parking lot of the All-Star Movie Resort.

Take snacks…glow sticks…or anything else you think you might have to pay twice as much for in the park.

Leave any souveniers out in your hotel room…disney costumes, stuffed animals, etc…you might see them used to decorate your room…which is always fun after a long day in the park.

I will share a trick I learned from our very own Cavey:

DUCT TAPE!

:ph34r::laugh:

[QUOTE=hanwill;923136]Jo-jo that is a double edged sword… On the one hand, they are most helpful if you want to go to the bathroom by yourself. On the other hand, my kids have a grandma (they call her me-mommy) that will not tell them no. So, when they want 2,3,or 4 stuffed animals from the 900th gift shop , and I tell them no. it is a problem. She wants to buy them 4 stuffed animals at every gift shop. So, if grandma can restrain herself, and not interfere with discipline, then grandma can come…

Not speaking from experience or anything:)

We do have fun, because grandma acts like a kid-has pictures with mickey-by herself, etc…it is a riot…[/QUOTE]

Duct Tape and Grandma, you people crack me up. (In hanwill’s case I would suggest duct tape FOR grandma. :laugh::ph34r:)

Yes yes yes on the umbrella stroller. For our last trip we bought one cheap from the local kids’ second-hand store for about $10 and just left it behind at the last day. Much better than depending on the rental strollers you have to turn in before hiking out to the bus with a tired/cranky/sleepy toddler.
I was lucky my boys would nap anywhere, so we’d just park ourselves someplace quiet if/when the boys fell asleep. DH held my older one while I stood in line for Soarin, for example.