To DDP or not

:wacko:Going in March/April for the first time and each time I do the math it seems that due to our eating habits it is going to be best to not do the ddp. 1. Is it better to go with DDP with a DD who is 10 and a picky eater or without?
2. How does tipping work when not using DDP? Is it just like a rest. in the outside world?
Sorry to sound so silly but need to get everything straightened out before I make finalized plans.

We have always done the DDP, and thought it saved us money. We have a very picky eater… and she is 10. This time, about half the time, she wanted to order from the kids menu. We felt like this time, it was not a deal because of her ordering habits.

In any other restaurant, she orders from the adult menu half the time. I would not get the dining plan to start, make the ADRS and then think about where you are going, and what you will eat there. If you decide that she will eat off the adult menu mostly, you can always call and add it back on…

The only way to truly decide is to study the menus and prices on All Ears and do your math.
Unless you do the math,with a 10 year old who is now considered an adult, you could find yourself wasting $10-$15 a day.
Meanwhile, book as a room only and if you decide, you can add the dining plan all the way up to about 72 hours before you arrive. This also helps some families because they won’t have to pay in full 45 days out. On a room only reservation, you only need to put up one day’s room rate as your deposit.
I don’t have children, it’s just the wife and me, however I was thinking that you could play some games with your park tickets and make the reservation as if your son is still 9.
If this works, what you’d do is book all of your park tickets as one day one park tickets (your son’s will be a child). When you arrive, you upgrade the adult tickets to what you really want/need and buy an adult MYW ticket for your 10 year old for the same amount of days.
Don’t do anything with that one day child ticket!
Save that for a credit on a later trip. It will still be good because you will not have used the ticket, 14 days after first use rule has no effect on an unused one day ticket.

I strongly suggest you wait for a parent to chime in on the viability of trying to sneak a 10 year old onto a child’s dining plan. But whatever you do, I repeat, READ MENUS AND DO YOUR MATH IN ADVANCE!!!

We get the DDP too. But I have to say the price has been going up, up, up :pinch:!
If you get the plan, make DDR as soon as you can it’s well worth it.
The tipping is figured out for you at the bottom of your receipt. I want to say it has a 15% and a 18% (???) line to fill in. Some will correct me on that :tongue:!
March/April is my most favorite time of the year to go.
Have tons of fun!

[QUOTE=tinker2222;1056134]
If you get the plan, make DDR as soon as you can it’s well worth it.
The tipping is figured out for you at the bottom of your receipt. I want to say it has a 15% and a 18% (???) line to fill in. [/QUOTE]

I’m going to assume you meant ADRs and not DDR (Deutsche Demokratische Republik? Double data rate (memory chips)?:pirate:)
Anyway, reservations and the dining plan have nothing at all to do with one another!!!
When you make your reservations, they could care less how you plan to pay.
You should make your dining reservations as soon as you’ve come up with your schedule and made your decisions which restaurants you want to eat at and what meals.

As for the tip, they put 18% and 20% suggested tips on your check so you can decide and then there’s a line under the subtotal on your check that is blank and marked tip. You are free to fill in any amount you wish even if 18% is the recommended amount.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1056138]I’m going to assume you meant ADRs and not DDR (Deutsche Demokratische Republik? Double data rate (memory chips)?:pirate:)
Anyway, reservations and the dining plan have nothing at all to do with one another!!!
When you make your reservations, they could care less how you plan to pay.
You should make your dining reservations as soon as you’ve come up with your schedule and made your decisions which restaurants you want to eat at and what meals.

As for the tip, they put 18% and 20% suggested tips on your check so you can decide and then there’s a line under the subtotal on your check that is blank and marked tip. You are free to fill in any amount you wish even if 18% is the recommended amount.[/QUOTE]

YES! I did mean ADR :laugh:! I going to blame that crazy error on pregnancy brain!
I totally think they go hand and hand?! I would hate to wait to long and not get the “really good” restaurants when paying for the DDP. I guess I look at as getting the most for your dollars. We waited too long one year to make our ADR and didn’t like many of the restaurants we ate at.
I’m glad you brought up, “feel free to pay what you want” I can remember feeling as though our waiter was not deserving of the 18% AT ALL. But felt like I HAD to pay that amount.

I think he meant that you could make your ADRs, and then add the dining plan independent of each other if that is what you want to do. You do not have to have the dining plan to make ADRs.

OHHHH I get it! See that pregnancy brain again!!! We were talking about two totally different things :wacko:

Not a problem… maybe between the two of our pregnancy brains, we make a complete one. I am sure that you will help me out one of these days soon. :slight_smile:

Are you feeling ok? I am at 14 weeks, and it is as bad as ever… YUCK.

[QUOTE=hanwill;1056166]Not a problem… maybe between the two of our pregnancy brains, we make a complete one. I am sure that you will help me out one of these days soon. :slight_smile:

Are you feeling ok? I am at 14 weeks, and it is as bad as ever… YUCK.[/QUOTE]
I’ll tell ya, i don’t remember being quite this “off” last time.
Last week I bought new lotion. So I was putting on one morning thinking, this is going on awfully weird, but I was in a rush and keep putting it on. Well I couldn’t stand just how sticky it was getting, so I looked at the bottle. It was BODY WASH not body lotion!
I am 11 weeks tomorrow. The morning sickness is just starting to subside during the day, but I still feel yuck at bed time.
I hope you feel better soon, I know just how Yucky you feel.

And thank you for the clarity earlier :flowers:

Tinker, my point is that whether you’re on the dining plan or if your paying out of pocket, you need to make reservations in order to guarantee you’ll have a table when you want it and for the size of your party so you aren’t just walking up cold and hoping.
I don’t just hope. I make a plan, make reservations, and show up when my schedule says I should under all circumstances.

Besides, if you want to eat at the really popular places, you need to make your reservations as soon as possible. Places like le Cellier, Chef Mickey’s, California Grill, 'Ohana, Tusker House (breakfast), Crystal Palace book up very fast.

(And now that I’ve read the posts from Hanwill I see I didn’t really need to post this.)