Tokyo

So, anyone been to Tokyo? I know Im in Japan but Ive never been and we are planning a trip in January. Im curious to see other peoples opinions

You should go to allearsnet. they recently had a great blog about it. I can’t remember who it was written by but you can find it in their blog section.
That must be quite the place. I would love to go and see it.

Only in my heart!! :wub: :heart: I’ve become a huge Japanophile over the last few years though I’ve never been, and seeing your location I envy you your recent experience of Tanabata and your upcoming probable celebration of Bon.

Last night I tried to make mapo dofu (“Chinese-style spicy tofy with pork” according to Let’s Cook Japanese Food! written by an American lady who married into a Japanese family), but the ground pork had gone slightly off so I had to throw it out :crying:, but since I’d gotten all the ingredients ready (even in their individual little bowls like the recipe said :glare:), I manfully struggled through with, er, cut-up hot dogs :laugh: and it actually came out OK.

Which makes this arguably the first time anyone’s mixed hot dogs and tofu… (Well, OK, probably not really. And apparently they like them in Japan too since I keep seeing them cut to look like octopi in various anime series, which is harder to do than it looks.)

Okinawa is pretty cool too! One of my favorite artists seems to like Okinawa a lot as well. :happy:

And now, waking up ludicrously late even for a Sunday, off to watch Kamen Rider Den-O and drink kohii.

(I wonder, can you read Chit Chat? We could start a general Japan/Asia thread there…)

David
To-ki-o, Dis-ney-sea, it’s a world of won-der for you and me…

My brother is in Japan as I write this . . . his 4th trip in two years! He :hearts:s it there! I keep telling him to head over to Disney, but he won’t! :glare: I said well AT LEAST get me something from the airport!!

My cousin was born in Japan . . . on a US Airforce base, my DDs think that is so cool!

I was reading the blog on allearsnet, actually DH was. He wants to go on the Journey to the Center of the Earth ride now.

Okinawa is so beautiful! I should really go upload some pictures I have so I can post them. We are going to go to the beach most likely this week and the beaches here are something… Its nothing like American beaches and the water is sooo clear you can see down to the sea floor. Oh and we are suppose to be going on the glassbottom boat soon as well (you can tell we like sea life can’t you?). Japanese food isn’t the easiest to make at times so I stick to going over to other peoples houses and dine. Theres a restruant in town I want to try where they prepare the food in front of you. Its suppose to be really good. I just can’t have the sushi (which is a bummer I haven’t had a chance to try any yet). When we go to Tokyo theres a old sushi restruant right down the street from the hotel we are staying at that I want to go try. Ive never had sushi.

I can’t imagine going to Tokyo without at least one day at Tokyo Disney. The prices aren’t that bad, a four day ticket is around 150 a person depending on Yen-Dollar conversion rate. We are thinking of staying 14 nights, 15 days. Four days at Disney and 10 days for sightseeing. I really want to go see the imperial palace and theres a sword place my husband wants to go to. We just have to see when we can get hotel rooms for.

Never been, but my oldest DS, J.J. want to go soooo bad. He is even looking into a college program that may let him have this opportunity. His best friend just got back from 2 months in China, which he loved.

I would love if you posted some photos!:happy:

Yes please! I have an Okinawa-themed calendar by that artist I mentioned and it’s very nice…

When is Obon this year in Okinawa? I have read that it follows the Chinese calendar rather than the Japanese… Alas, the closest place I can find for such a celebration here in Florida is about 3 or 4 hours away :crying: and as it’s on the grass there it is less wheelchair-accessible for Cubby.

David

Im not quite sure when it is… Thats one nice thing over here, everything is wheelchair accessible for the most part. We dont’ have anyone in wheelchairs but are constintly taking the stroller with us (25 lbs of toddler and a baby belly doesn’t do well together) so its nice not to fight with it in the grass. Ive even taken my stroller onto the beach without too much trouble.

Very cool! :slight_smile:

Its really nice. Even the bathrooms all have handicap access (I tend to take note of these things, my grandma was thinking of making a trip over here and she is in a wheelchair). Oh if you guys decide to take a trip to Tokyo Disney the rentals for electronic wheelchairs are supercheap- like 1000-1500 yen a day (which is less than 8-12 dollars depending on the conversion rate. We were looking at the Tokyo Disney website yesterday and I almost fell out of my seat when I saw how much cheaper it is in comparsion to DisneyWorld, Disneyland. Tickets are 150000 yen each for four day tickets, stroller rentals are like 400 yen. The thing that kills you though is the food is expensive. The “buffets” (which aren’t really buffets more like what LTT does with the food) will cost you between 60-100 for two people, luckily DD is under 3 and will still be free.

Just in case anyone was interested in the website: Tokyo Disney Resort

Heres the prices for stroller/wheelchair rentals (I looked them up because I was curious and couldn’t remember) they are of course in yen not dollars.
Stroller: ÂĄ700
Wheelchair: ÂĄ300
Motorized: ÂĄ2,000

Presumably you mean 60-100 dollars, not 60-100 yen, which would be a much better bargain. :laugh:

So do you get to see much Japanese TV there? Do you know Japanese? I don’t know much at all but I do get the benefit of subtitles for the shows we watch.

David

[QUOTE=chastmastr;856715]Presumably you mean 60-100 dollars, not 60-100 yen, which would be a much better bargain. :laugh:

So do you get to see much Japanese TV there? Do you know Japanese? I don’t know much at all but I do get the benefit of subtitles for the shows we watch.

David[/QUOTE]

yea I meant dollars not yen. If it was yen than I would be all for going to all of them :laugh:
No, we actually don’t get cable period. I know hello and thank you in Japanese. We weren’t expecting to come over here so what Ive learned has been through the little interactions Ive had. I do have a good Japanese language book that Im going to study before Tokyo.

It would be great if you’d make the trip and take a ton of photos for us all to enjoy the experience with you!!!

[QUOTE=WishIWasThere;855328]I was reading the blog on allearsnet, actually DH was. He wants to go on the Journey to the Center of the Earth ride now.

Okinawa is so beautiful! [/QUOTE]

That’s what my husband said. He was stationed there with the US Coast Guard there in the late 80’s :smile:

I am dying to visit Tokyo! I want to see the cherry blossoms in the Spring & all the beautiful gardens, go to Tokyo DisneySea, and just doing everything Tokyo has to offer. :tongue: I hope you get to go, I will live through your TR. :laugh:

[QUOTE=WishIWasThere;856925]yea I meant dollars not yen. If it was yen than I would be all for going to all of them :laugh:
No, we actually don’t get cable period. I know hello and thank you in Japanese. We weren’t expecting to come over here so what Ive learned has been through the little interactions Ive had. I do have a good Japanese language book that Im going to study before Tokyo.[/QUOTE]

They don’t have broadcast TV there? :huh: I wasn’t even thinking of cable… so what Japanese stuff do you do? :slight_smile: I’m sure a lot of people who run tours and things speak English as well, of course…

We go out to the beach and all and enjoy the food and atmosphere. We enjoy the beaches, DH is going to learn scuba while he is here. He likes going fishing as well. Theres some beautiful gardens here as well as the aquarium which Ill have to try to find pictures of, its remarkable. I was going to do the Dragon Boat races (like be in the race- train and all) but I found out i was pregnant. Im going to try for next year instead. Hopefully Im not too out of shape.

Wish- The Cherry Blossoms are so beautifuL! I forgot my camera this year so no pictures but Ill remember it next year and post some. Oh and the butterfly gardens are so awesome. If you wear like a red shirt and sit down within two minutes you will be COVERED in butterflies…

We are making our hotel reservations this weekend. We are going from December 28th-January 11th, staying at the New Sanno Hotel (its the military hotel over here). It should be neat, we were talking to some Japanese friends we have and they told us that Tokyo goes all out for New Years. We are planning on taking ALOT of pictures. I have a 4GB and a 1GB memory cards. We are thinking of getting another 4GB and of course we are bringing the laptop so we can upload pictures as well.

[QUOTE=WishIWasThere;857608]We go out to the beach and all and enjoy the food and atmosphere. We enjoy the beaches, DH is going to learn scuba while he is here. He likes going fishing as well. Theres some beautiful gardens here as well as the aquarium which Ill have to try to find pictures of, its remarkable. I was going to do the Dragon Boat races (like be in the race- train and all) but I found out i was pregnant. Im going to try for next year instead. Hopefully Im not too out of shape.

Wish- The Cherry Blossoms are so beautifuL! I forgot my camera this year so no pictures but Ill remember it next year and post some. Oh and the butterfly gardens are so awesome. If you wear like a red shirt and sit down within two minutes you will be COVERED in butterflies…

We are making our hotel reservations this weekend. We are going from December 28th-January 11th, staying at the New Sanno Hotel (its the military hotel over here). It should be neat, we were talking to some Japanese friends we have and they told us that Tokyo goes all out for New Years. We are planning on taking ALOT of pictures. I have a 4GB and a 1GB memory cards. We are thinking of getting another 4GB and of course we are bringing the laptop so we can upload pictures as well.[/QUOTE]

This is exciting!! I can’t wait to hear all the details! I am so jealous. :tongue:

Id sneak you with me but you would then have to make it to Okinawa first…
We just started planning and looking into where we are going to go and all. Problem is there are SOOO many things we want to do that we have to narrow it down a bit… We know we are doing four days at the park (two days at each) and one day to explore DTD and the resorts. That leaves us 10 days (about) to do other things. I know we want to do the Imperial Palace and theres a great Chinese place there that serves a wonderful dinner (from what weve been told) so we plan on spending a day there. New Years is pretty much a wash other than the celebrations around town. So that leaves us 8 days to explore the town (if I did the math right, which who knows if I did).

Im super excited about it though. DH and I haven’t been on a trip together (other than weekends at Disneyland before we came out here, which I don’t count, we lived 30 minutes from Disney) since I was 6 months pregnant with DD. He hasn’t had family time since we got out here over a year ago so we are super excited to be able to spend some time just the three (well by then it will be four) of us.