Too cold to go to the park?

I’m down here in South Florida and it’s downright frigid at 51.
Orlando is even colder at 44.
Tomorrow is supposed to be just as cold and the cold will last well into next week. Saturday and Sunday will be the worst with daytime temps in the 40s and night time temps in the mid 20s.
So when exactly does it become too cold to go to the parks?
When is it too cold to go on the few rides that are outside?

Never mind the pools or the one waterpark that is open. It’s clearly too cold for that unless you’re a polar bear.

WOW…that is COLD…although it’s only about 25 here now, with a 8 inches of snow on the ground…I’m thinking Florida still sounds better than Ohio at the moment…although walking through the parks with hat and mittens just doesn’t seem right:huh:

We hit the cold snap a few years back in February…it was really cold. It was never too cold for us to go to the parks. It was one of the best trips we had, walk on rides and no crowds. I live in Michigan, so I’m used to the cold, we just bundle up. So my answer is…it’s never too cold to go to the parks. If the gates are open and the rides are running go for it.

I was there with some friends over the last 3 days. It was SO COLD!!! One day it was 30-something degrees, with a windchill factor of 27 degrees, and 57% humidity!! That’s the worst part - 30 degrees in Florida feels so much colder because of the ridiculous humidity!

We went to the parks all 3 days. We layered up considerably - between 4-6 layers! - and just spent a lot of time on the indoor rides. We even did EMH till 1am at the MK and weren’t miserable. But hot chocolate was necessary! :laugh:

Doug, we just returned Monday, and with the exception of one day when it was in the 70s, we were absolutely freezing. We had taken fleece jackets that were not nearly warm enough, we had no gloves and no warm socks. We passed on fireworks a couple of nights because the cold was too intense… we are from way up in the Great White North, so we are used to really cold temps, but when that Florida wind blew, we were freezing! The kids were brave enough to go on Splash once (no surprise that Splash and Kali were walk-ons the entire week!!!), but they instantly regretted it as soon as they stepped off the ride and back into the cold!
The crowds were lighter than I had expected and I think it was because of the cold… so just take REAL coats and gloves and socks and enjoy the parks!

I would love to see the 40s right now! I would still hit the parks at those temps, maybe not rides like Big Thunder or Splash Mountain, but I would still be enjoying the parks.

:ohmy: So sorry, it does ruin things a bit doesn’t it, We were there in March and froze until the last 2 days of vacation. We weren’t prepared to be that cold, the wind and the high humidity are brutal! We’re from western Ny and are used to having 4 feet of snow on the ground but that cold is biting! Now in September it was HOT!!! Hope the weather is good in April!

I think I am LITERALLY the only person in the world who’s relieved when temps don’t get above 65 degrees in WDW. It energizes me; whereas the heat makes me just tired, cranky, & sweaty. When Daniel and I go & the temps are in the 40’s-60’s we are SO much more inclined to stay outside all day, versus returning to the resort for an afternoon nap.

I don’t have an answer for you Doug, but for me, it could never be too cold in WDW to enjoy myself at the parks. :laugh:

What a perfect time to go for a dip in the resort pools!!! And as a bonus , your BEER won’t get warm!!! What a combo!!! :laugh:

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;1011424]I think I am LITERALLY the only person in the world who’s relieved when temps don’t get above 65 degrees in WDW. It energizes me; whereas the heat makes me just tired, cranky, & sweaty. When Daniel and I go & the temps are in the 40’s-60’s we are SO much more inclined to stay outside all day, versus returning to the resort for an afternoon nap.

I don’t have an answer for you Doug, but for me, it could never be too cold in WDW to enjoy myself at the parks. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

I’m with you. I love cooler temps! The hot and humid stuff just makes me cranky.

We were in WDW in January 2005 and they had a cold snap where there was a freeze one night. We are from MN, so we had our Winter Jackets along anyway, and wore them to the parks each day. We didn’t seem to need gloves or hat, but it was pretty cold. We rode mostly indoor rides.

I hope you have a fun time despite the cold! It really does put a damper on some of the fun of being at WDW, but it can still be a fun trip with short lines and less crowds.

My Brother and Sister in Law are there right now. Being from Chicago, not really complaining. But, I guess Disney determines when it’s too cold, because they had reservations for the Luau last night, and a CM called them the night before telling them they cancelled it.

Sounds like my kinda temps. I melt easily…

Was there in January of 2007 with some 30 degree weather . being from upstate NY, we were ok with the cold because we had no snow to go with it! Never too cold for Disney, but it is up to you and yours. It wasn’t bad till we got the cold rain to go with it, so we tried doing inside things. Go for it!

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;1011424]I think I am LITERALLY the only person in the world who’s relieved when temps don’t get above 65 degrees in WDW. It energizes me; whereas the heat makes me just tired, cranky, & sweaty. When Daniel and I go & the temps are in the 40’s-60’s we are SO much more inclined to stay outside all day, versus returning to the resort for an afternoon nap.

I don’t have an answer for you Doug, but for me, it could never be too cold in WDW to enjoy myself at the parks. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Ditto here. I think 50 is near perfect weather. The moment I start to sweat in FL summers, I’m done. It’s cranky and miserable times for me from there on.

I hate cold weather. Give me 95 drgrees in the summer and I’m happy. I get hot at WDW in the summer but I would rather be hot than cold any day.

Our low here is going to be about 10 below Friday night–that’s NUTS!

Gotta agree w/ Wish. Never too cold.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;1011424]
I don’t have an answer for you Doug,[/QUOTE]

There is no answer, it’s all opinion and discussion. I just wanted to see what people have to say.
But I’m down here freezing my nards off and Florida insulation doesn’t really prevent the cold from seeping into the house and Florida standard A/C heaters just don’t keep up unless you set the temp for 80. Unless of course you want to put on long pants or sweats.
Good thing I’ve got my Mickey slippers, but they’re a bit clunky going up and down stairs.

But if I were in WDW (and I have been there when it was cold) I wouldn’t be shivering in the room if the sky was clear. I’d just be a little tired of taking off my jacket and putting it back on.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1011451]
Our low here is going to be about 10 below Friday night–that’s NUTS![/QUOTE]

Cold temps are all relative. Right now, the thought of 26 degree nights in Orlando and 38 degree nights here are insane.
It’s going to warm a little the next two days, but the next clipper is due Saturday and it’s back to the meat locker.

But back to nuts. Nuts is the Hudson River off Manhattan frozen solid. That’s when you know it’s too freakin’ cold!

I was thinking about that. We were up for Caveyfest near the end of January 2007 and I remember standing out on Sunset Point at the Poly taping fireworks, with the cold wind knifing through me. And that was when I was in the middle of my hard core fireworks taping project.

I am usually like this. I’d rather be hot than cold. But I think low 70’s is perfect park weather. Warm enough for shorts and t shirts but not stuffy.