Too much ADR planning?

Just throwing this out there for a little discussion. I was reading about ADR’s on another discussion board. I was really surprised the number of people that make ADR’s for almost every meal. People had days lists of 20-21 ADR’s for a 7 day trip. Is it just me or is this CRAZY??? To me this just way too much of a strict schedule. What do you guys think??? For the record here are the ADR’s I got for our trip in June…BTW ADR phone call took 16 minutes total…:phone:

Breakfast-
Chef Mickeys

Lunch-
Biergarten
Brown Derby

Dinner-
Ohana’s
Coral Reef
Mama Melrose

I don’t know, maybe some people can get carried away. For me I go to Disney for the parks and the food. That is the only place I can get so many different kinds of food(meals) or some really different places to eat.I admit I love eating at different places and having that awsome dinning experience. Some people may be there just to get all or as much as parks as they can. So, for them maybe not a strict meal planning is for them. For me, I like food so my vacations are centered around food and parks.

I think everyone should make exactly as many ADRs as makes them happy. My ideal trip isn’t someone else’s ideal trip. And if dining is what someone is all about, and especially if they’re on a plan where they have nothing but sit-down meals, ADRs are necessary!

Me, I like about a single ADR per day. But milage varies. :happy:

Don’t get me wrong…I love to eat. Here is one day of someone’s reservations I looked at, that made me think it was too much. Breakfast 8 CM…Lunch SCI FI 11:45…Dinner 7:00 Coral reef. Just feels like eating with a little vacation mixed in…Just my opinion.:blush:

Yeah, for me that would be probably alot of food,but for someone else maybe for them is what they like. It is an individual thing. Usually people do that and then realize that it was soooo much food and won’t try it again.

You make a good point and it’s not my ideal, but if you go in peak times (or in the fall free dining), if you don’t have ADR’s well before you arrive, you will have very limited dining choices when you get there. Just the nature of the beast since the DDP’s arrived.

I’m a planner, a list maker, and an overall control freak. :laugh: So, my vacations are always planned out pretty exactly. It works for us though. DH appreciates my planning even though he makes fun of it because we rarely wait in a line and we get lots more done because we know where we’re going and when. We never waste time with “what do you want to do next?” or “where do you want to eat?” or waiting for a walk-up table opening at a restaurant. However, I only have ADR’s for our TS meals and we do 1 per day with the DDP. I can’t imagine sitting down 3 times a day for a TS meal. That’s just too much food and time! I always have a plan for our QS and CS credits but it’s certainly not set in stone. We kind of see where we are in our touring and go from there. If we planned to eat at Pecos Bill’s and we’re close to it.
when we’re hungry then we go there but if we’re on the other side of the park, we do not walk all the way across just to get a burger.

We usually do TS meals twice a day. Honestly, I like to sit and be waited on; yeah, spoil me! We try to space them so we’re not stuffed at one and not hungry at the next.

Not particulary crazy…especially if you book the Dining Plan. They just want to make sure that they get the opportunity to use all the credits that they paid for.

Welp, when we go to WDW we make 1 ADR for every night. We’re not big breakfast eaters, counter service is fine for us at lunchtime, but we both need to sit down for a nice dinner & ‘collect our thoughts.’ :laugh: I am pretty dilligent about making one dinner ADR for EVERY day of our trip 'cause I just refuse to walk up & wait; I also like to know what I am looking forward too. If we had the luxury of going during the slow times of the year I may leave a couple dinners to surprise BUT when you have to go during school holidays it’s hard NOT to be anxious about making ADRs.

That being said, I can understand WHY people make a zillion ADRs but it’s just not good for me; I could never eat a sit down breakfast and being functioning in the parks afterwards. :laugh:

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;948714]Welp, when we go to WDW we make 1 ADR for every night. We’re not big breakfast eaters, counter service is fine for us at lunchtime, but we both need to sit down for a nice dinner & ‘collect our thoughts.’ :laugh: I am pretty dilligent about making one dinner ADR for EVERY day of our trip 'cause I just refuse to walk up & wait; I also like to know what I am looking forward too. If we had the luxury of going during the slow times of the year I may leave a couple dinners to surprise BUT when you have to go during school holidays it’s hard NOT to be anxious about making ADRs.

That being said, I can understand WHY people make a zillion ADRs but it’s just not good for me; I could never eat a sit down breakfast and being functioning in the parks afterwards. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

This is us too. We usually eat a light breakfast. I’ll bring breakfast bars or fruit with us to the room. We have an early lunch at a CS and evening/dinner ADR’s are a must for us. I like to have my evening meals planned and during free dining it is a must.

We visited in Feb. for DH’s birthday. We were not on the DP, we were going to do all CS, then we and decided last minute to try to get into O’Hana for his birthday dinner. We waited about an hour and a half to eat. Fortunately Poly had comfortable seating to wait and we enjoyed spending some time looking around he resort.

My only complaint about people making a lot of ADR’s is that they forget to cancel the ones they are not going to use. If they would do that it would open up tables for walk-up’s and same day reservation makers.

Planning the ADR’s is part of the fun of planning our trip, IMO. We usually try to plan a few, not one for each day, but this trip we are doing the DDP for the first time. Which is nice because now we will try some new places. We’ve never done a table meal every day so I tried to break it up with doing a breakfast every 2 days and the rest dinners. We’ll see how it goes.

The best thing about Disney is there is something for everyone. For many people, dining IS a good portion of the vacation for them. They like to eat well at the places they like, so that many ADRs would make sense for someone who enjoys the dining aspect of the trip more so seeing and doing everything in regards to shows and attractions because there is no way to have it both ways unless you also enjoy going from sun up to sun down and running around from place to place like a loon. To each their own. There is no perfect way to do WDW…only the perfect way for you and your family.

It’s fun and to read everyone’s personal tastes and style on this. While we would love to enjoy a three-meal-a-day trip to WDW, we just can’t do it.

1. DS would rather play than eat. No patience for a lot of sit down meals. :blink: 2) Three meals/day at WDW is too much food for us! 3) We’re on a budget and cutting back on food costs is the most practical way for us to do so. That being said, I’d love to try the dining plan someday!! There seem to be so many fun foods/retaurants to try! And I love reading others TRs with their dining experiences (and photos make it even better). :happy:

I used to plan at least one ADR a day. Last trip I did the coutner service plan and only schedule a few meals…I liked it better that way. IF we go next year, we will do the counter plan again and only schedule one or two meals. I really don’t have all that many “must do” meals and prefer to just eat when I feel like it.

Well if I’m on the DDP I need to book our ADRs because that’s what we paid for. I NEED to know that we have a place to go and I NEED to know I have the places I want. We (shall I say my DD) will eat something. Light in the room for breakfast. We use our counter service for lunch then we use or table service for dinner. Sometimes we use the snack options or often we will save them and get Pez or Mickey rice krispies to take home.

During peak times, you really do need to have adrs if you want to eat at good places at normal hours. That’s a fact. We’re not frantic schedule keepers, but eating nice dinners at WDW is fun for us so we make a dinner ressie for every night.

:wub::heart: Mmmm us too, we are not big eaters but love to sit down and try new things!!( as well as old favorites!) We do one sit down usually at dinner and a counter lunch. This past trip we had a sit down breakfast for the first time because our plane was late coming in and I had to cancel our dinner reservations! We really enjoyed it and have decided to eat a counter meal on our arrival in Sept. so we can try a new breakfast place!!

I loaded us up with ADRs for our trip down last October. My son thought it was too much, too planned, and no spontaniety. I won’t do that again this time. I will make dinner reservations at our few must-dos, but it’s going to be Food and Wine Festival so I don’t think I’ll starve.

[QUOTE=Andrea;948681]I think everyone should make exactly as many ADRs as makes them happy. My ideal trip isn’t someone else’s ideal trip. And if dining is what someone is all about, and especially if they’re on a plan where they have nothing but sit-down meals, ADRs are necessary!

Me, I like about a single ADR per day. But milage varies. :happy:[/QUOTE]

we have tried it both ways in the past (all adr’s vs none) we have found a happy medium that works well for us. we use ADR’s for breakfast and dinner, and then wing it for lunch. we have found that not only does this way give is flexability with our day, 3 sit dow meals is A LOT of food, and by the end of the week we are stuffed. but you’re right, what works for me may be a total didaster for you. my suggestion is try different ways, and work out a plan that works for you…