TOT questions

On our last trip DD realized that she is tall enough to go on Tower of Tower. I ride every ride in WDW - but a few years back I had decided to NEVER AGAIN go on ToT. It scared me to death! I guess it didn’t help that there were technical difficulties and it kept stopping and there were long delays. I thought for sure something was seriously malfunctioning and we were going to free fall to our deaths! :eek:

So… back to DD. I felt so bad b/c she wanted to go on it so bad that I actually avoided going to MGM on our last few days! By the way DH is a big chicken and doesn’t even like roller coasters!

For our upcoming trip all DD will talk about is how she will go on ToT - even if it’s alone (she’s only 8!). So I guess I will bite the bullet and go back on.

My question is… when I went on last, there was something that went across your lap that you could hold on to, like a bar or something. (I have a vivid memory of DH holding onto it so tight, his knuckles were white!). Now I’ve heard that there are only seat belts. Is this true??? What the heck do you hold on to as you are plummeting to your death!!!

There is a seat belt that holds you in and a bar between the seats that you can hold on to. BTW I love the way you put that - “plummeting to your death!!!” :laugh:

Here is a picture of the seating area.

No safety bars, just seat belts. But like DisneyDreamer said, you can hold onto the bars on the side. ToT is my ABSOLUTE MOST FAVORITE RIDE EVER! I LOVE the feeling of plummeting to my death. :laugh::heart:

:eek:[QUOTE=iluvwdw;879586]I LOVE the feeling of plummeting to my death. :laugh::heart:[/QUOTE]

How about being thown into the air? :laugh:

What always scares me is that you see the elevators leaving full but they are always EMPTY :eek: when they come back down!!!

Yikes, well at least I know there is something to hold on to - other than the poor person sitting next to me! :laugh:

Thanks for the pic!!

Put me on any roller coaster - but that free fall feeling of ToT scares me!! The things we do for our kids! :mickey:

Yes but isn’t the feeling awesome when you get off?! The feeling of “I DID IT!!” I think it is so worth it.

How about being thown into the air? :laugh:

What always scares me is that you see the elevators leaving full but they are always EMPTY :eek: when they come back down!!![/QUOTE]

HAHAHA! :laugh: So true! :laugh:

It’s SO worth it!!! My DS has been going on since he was 4. After that first time, he didn’t want to go again until the next year when he ws 5. He went on so many times that trip, and now says it’s one of his FAVORITE rides, next to Splash Mountain. DD will be 3 1/2 when we go and she will be tall enough and claims she wants to ride. We’ll see…:huh:

So proud of you for doing it for your dd! lol
I avoided it forever and once I tried it I did it like 6 times in a row! Maybe you’ll like it a bit better this time?
Looking forward to hearing if your dd likes the ride!

My kids love the ride, but, sometimes the anticipation of the ride scares them a bit. We have come up with the ‘WOOHOO!’ fix. Spend the time on the ride yelling “WOOOOOHOOOO!” while it is in the drop zone and you will release that pent up fear. Don’t be surprised if you actually realize that it works and will enjoy it.

See if you can request to sit next to the cage part of the vehicle. My first time on the ride, I was put in the last row all the way to the right (as you enter the vehicle). There was a handle there that I held onto. Eventually I had so much fun I let go…but initially I was white-knuckling the rail there.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is so true. The first time I went on Magnum XL-200 at Cedar Point, I was scared to death waiting in line. My stomach started to hurt as it does any time I am stressed, but my cousin, Tim, talked me through the line and coaxed me on like only he could do. When we conquered the Magnum and were exiting the ride, he turned to me and said, “doesn’t it feel like you could just about do anything right now?” and he was soooo right. I’ve been riding coasters ever since and that was in 1989.

[QUOTE=ssn;879580]On our last trip DD realized that she is tall enough to go on Tower of Tower. I ride every ride in WDW - but a few years back I had decided to NEVER AGAIN go on ToT. It scared me to death! I guess it didn’t help that there were technical difficulties and it kept stopping and there were long delays. I thought for sure something was seriously malfunctioning and we were going to free fall to our deaths! :eek:

So… back to DD. I felt so bad b/c she wanted to go on it so bad that I actually avoided going to MGM on our last few days! By the way DH is a big chicken and doesn’t even like roller coasters!

For our upcoming trip all DD will talk about is how she will go on ToT - even if it’s alone (she’s only 8!). So I guess I will bite the bullet and go back on.

My question is… when I went on last, there was something that went across your lap that you could hold on to, like a bar or something. (I have a vivid memory of DH holding onto it so tight, his knuckles were white!). Now I’ve heard that there are only seat belts. Is this true??? What the heck do you hold on to as you are plummeting to your death!!![/QUOTE]

I hate up and down rides too, especially Power Tower and Demon Drop at Cedar Point, but for some reason I LOVE Tower of Terror. I am a huge fan of Twilight Zone, so I think the theming helps a lot.

Sometimes if my nerves really grab a hold of me on a scary ride, I just close my eyes and it always helps. If you get too scared, you could always shut your eyes and hold on for dear life.

I’m in the same boat as SSN – I’ll do any rollercoaster, any time… but ToT…oh lord. That feeling in my tummy…it’s pitiful. However, being just a tad mashochistic, I always manage to drag DH and me aboard, once every trip. Every picture of us is the same though – His eyes are popping out, his mouth is wide from screaming, and my head is buried into his shoulder, with my hair flying upwards. Truly priceless.

This is so true. The first time I went on Magnum XL-200 at Cedar Point, I was scared to death waiting in line. My stomach started to hurt as it does any time I am stressed, but my cousin, Tim, talked me through the line and coaxed me on like only he could do. When we conquered the Magnum and were exiting the ride, he turned to me and said, “doesn’t it feel like you could just about do anything right now?” and he was soooo right. I’ve been riding coasters ever since and that was in 1989.[/QUOTE]

Magnum is super scary. But it doesn’t compare to plunging to your death. I couldn’t handle tot. I don’t think I will ever ride it again either. I felt like I was bungee jumping or something. It was terrible.

My DD was scared of this ride for awhile…once she bit the bullet and went on, she loved it. It is perfectly safe. I reccomend you asking the cast member if you can sit in the back row. It’s not as intense back there. The front seat can be a bit intense. Don’t show your fear to your DD…

My youngest DD was too small to ride last time and is so excited to know she’s past the 40" mark and do it next time. DH, oldest DD and I LOVE ToT, but our poor little DS really dislikes it. He’ll ride it for me and his sister, but the last time we were in line for it (with DH waiting with our little one), he looked at me and his sister and said very calmly, “Why am I riding this? I hate this ride.”:crying::laugh: He rode it and did fine, but he just doesn’t enjoy it the way we do. Sweet boy!:wub:

My DH and DD :heart: ToT!! I personally am not that fond of it. I don’t like that falling feeling either. My palms sweat just watching people skydive!:blink:
And you know that say it isn’t the fall that kills you, it is that sudden drop at the bottom!:eek:
I tell you what, you ride it at least once with your kid, I will ride it with mine. Then we will come back to MB and compare notes.