Touring Animal Kingdom in August

Due to circumstances beyond our control we’ve had to change our trip dates so we’re now hitting the world in mid-August. Animal Kingdom is one of our favourite parks but we’ve never had to face it in the summer heat. Any suggestions on the best way to tour it without succumbing to the August heat?

Here are the rides/attractions we will not/do not do: Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids, Triceratop Spin and the Nemo Show.

Oh and for us Animal Kingdom is a full day park so no half day suggestions please.

Thanks

Not sure why you aren’t doing Expedition Everest, but if it’s because of the heat I personally wouldn’t skip it. I’ve been there in the dead of summer and that is one of the best lines actually, there are huge fans everywhere throughout the line and a lot of shade.

We don’t do Everest because it doesn’t agree with our heads. We’re both migraine sufferers and the one and only time we did ride it the year it opened, we both ended up with massive migraines and had to leave the park early.

Obviously the animals are out early, before the heat of the day.
By midday, they will all be diving for cool shade, so you need to do the safari and all zoo like activities before lunch.
You might want to consider one of the backstage tours.
After lunch, you’re on your own.

Too bad you won’t do Nemo; not only is it a great show - it means you’re in an air-conditioned theatre for at least an hour. I’m not a fan of Kali River Rapids either - but at the end of the day it’ll certainly cool you down. Festival of the Lion King is terrific and in a cool, dark environment. As Soundgod said, do the Safari first thing; the animals will be out in full force; once the heat of the day kicks in, they head for the shade and their naps.

Find the “off the map” areas, like the Garden around the Tree of Life, it’s cool and quiet.

I would say to keep hydrated. Take things slow. Stay in the shade.

[QUOTE=llama;1068937]Too bad you won’t do Nemo; not only is it a great show - it means you’re in an air-conditioned theatre for at least an hour. I’m not a fan of Kali River Rapids either - but at the end of the day it’ll certainly cool you down. Festival of the Lion King is terrific and in a cool, dark environment. As Soundgod said, do the Safari first thing; the animals will be out in full force; once the heat of the day kicks in, they head for the shade and their naps.

Find the “off the map” areas, like the Garden around the Tree of Life, it’s cool and quiet.

I would say to keep hydrated. Take things slow. Stay in the shade.[/QUOTE]

Ditto to all of the above. I always find AK is such a hot park anyway- one reason why its my least favourite. I do believe it was constructed in the hottest area of WDW to replicate the African heat? Too hot for me anyway.

The first few years I thought it was my imagination that the AK was hotter than the other parks, but after other people said the same thing I knew I wasn’t imagining it. I guess a part of it is all the heavy foliage just makes it even more humid. It’s weird - it seems cooler in Tomorrowland at the MK - out in the open with no trees and lots of concrete - than it does in the AK.

Oh I always thought that AK was by far the hottest park to visit in the summer. It must be all the vegetation that keeps the humidity around.

AK is actually not that bad in the summer. Yes, its the hottest park, but they do have A LOT of fans everywhere and plenty of places to cool off. I advice would be to go very early if you plan on seeing some active animals. The hotter it is, the lazier they are, lol

I agree to getting to the animals and safari first thing!! If you don’t like the Nemo show Lion King is a great one too. I would hit that up after lunch though so you can cool off. We usually wander around anywhere shaded once it gets past lunchtime because that park is a HOT one in the dead of summer-even many of the stores are HOT!!

AK is HOT!!! Why not Nemo = it is GREAT and air conditioned. There is some shades at Birds of Prey and its pretty neat. I luv Kali Rapids…but ok. I guess since you have crossed off the 4 things our family does as a must at AK…my next question is - What will you do besides Safari? Not meaning that in a bad way…We must be missing something or a lot of the AK experience.

AK is a fave for us because there is so much to see. Take your time, walk around the park and look for the out of the way places off the beaten path. We consider AK to be our rest and rejuvinate park. And like you we spend all day a AK. Sometimes 2 days.

Hit the animal locations first. And don’t forget about the animal medical center a short train ride away. Many times if you get there early you can see them doing medical evaluations and care to the stars of the show.

I was just going to recommend Rafiki’s Planet Watch. Conservation Station is all indoors and AIR CONDITIONED. There are so many cool things to check out up there - the vet window (your best chance to see something going on there is before noon), the Wildlife Tracking Center, lots of smaller critters (bugs, snakes, frogs, etc.), live animal cameras, character meet & greets, the nutrition center, the Song of the Rainforest mini-show… LOTS to see and do there!

We were there last August. We went to early EMH and got through all of the rides by our 12:30 or so reservation at Tusker House. I think we even saw Lion King before Lunch. The buffet at lunch was great and we then did Finding Nemo (you could easily do Lion King after lunch) We felt that we had everything done that we wanted by about 3:00pm. It was hot but wasn’t too bad with the early start.

The big trick to AK is to take it slow, look around at the wonderful foliage and animals, sit and take in how quiet a park can be even with the crowds surrounding you on the main paths, and enjoy yourselves. I also recommend AM EMH. But that is to see the animals when they are most active.

I have been to WDW in August several time now (going back this year too) and touring in August is Hot…really hot. Be at the park at rope drop or EMH if you can help it and tour slowly. With the major leadlinders out of your line-up, you will have no issues seeing and doing everything you want. Drink tons of water, grab some shade and enjoy!

Like everyone has already mentioned, get there at rope drop and then head straight for the safari. From there, why not embark on the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail? And then, take the rest of the day at a nice slow pace because the Florida sun in August is brutal! Make sure to bring lots of water, towels, and very comfortable shoes that “breathe”. Ponchos & a pocket sized umbrella is a must because it is also our “rainy” season as well as the middle of our Hurricane season…

The Lion King show is a must do as is “It’s Tough to be a Bug”. When you exit “Bug”, take a left instead of following EVERYONE else to the right! You’ll walk right under the waterfall and you will most likely be the only ones walking on a very nice trail with some really cool animals & birds that can be lonely at times (thanks to the lack of people who know about this area)!

Also, Definitely check out the Maharajah Jungle Trek where you can find my favorite, the BATS!

If you must, take a trip out to conservation station… But I personally do not recommend it. I find it to be rather dull… But thats just my humble opinion…

Food wise, The Tusker House is our favorite (and we do not like buffets, normally that is) and Yak & Yeti is also very good (love the Kobi Burger).