Transfering in to Disney

Ok, here is my situation not sure if this is the right forum or not to post under. I have a time share that uses interval Int. and there is a person at work that has a week banked with RCI and they are willing to swap me my banked week for there banked week. I have asked them if they could get into Disney or not for the week I was wanting. I was wondering just how hard is it to tranfer into Disney for a villa just generally speaking? And which villas are the hardest and which are the easiest to get into? If this was possible it would greatly help me out to making a trip possible. Thank you all for your help.

zoomaster –
I don’t know about the II swapping and so forth, but I can offer a few opinions on some of your DVC questions.
The villas with the reputation for being the hardest to get are the standard-views at Boardwalk, anything at all at Beach Club and savannah views at Animal Kingdom. I would be willing to guess that Magic Kingdom views at Bay Lake Tower are gone just minutes after 9 o’clock on the morning of the 11-month booking window. Wilderness Lodge fills up quickly too.
Each DVC member designates one resort as their home resort, and they can book it 11 months out. For other resorts, they have to wait until 7 months out.
Now here’s a loophole for you: If I am not mistaken, II people do not have to wait for that 7-month window. (I am sure someone will come along and correct this if it is wrong, but I am fairly certain that it’s right, and I seem to remember being pretty steamed about it a year or two ago…)
The villas that have been traditionally easier to get into seem to have been Old Key West (it was the original DVC property) and Kidani, as well as Saratoga Springs, although that one seems to be changing a bit.

I don’t think DVC trades out of II, I think I read something about switching to RCI a year so ago. We don’t trade out so I don’t keep up with that part so I may be totally wrong about that and it may be different trading in, you’ll have to check with you friend.

The chances of booking into DVC depends on the number of DVC members trading out. There are certainly times traded but it’s going to be a tough trade - like trying to get a Hawaii week.

Trades should be easier as more and more DVC locations come online. In the last few years, SSR has been completed, Treehouses opened, more AKV opened, and Bay Lake opened in Aug last year.

All you can do is try. Good luck

We have traded into Disney the last several vacations and plan on always doing that. We plan well in advance. For example, I just banked a week and put in a search for October 2012 at Disney. I have no doubt we will get it that far in advance. We normally put in a search about 18 months out and have never been disappointed. I wouldn’t wait much longer than that, though.

OKW is probably the easiest to get into because it’s so huge. That’s typically what we end up with. For this next trip we didn’t request it because we wanted to try something different and I figured it would be safe since it’s so far in advance.

So, I say go for it if you can plan ahead! Good luck!

[QUOTE=princesslindsey;1015297]We have traded into Disney the last several vacations and plan on always doing that. We plan well in advance. For example, I just banked a week and put in a search for October 2012 at Disney. I have no doubt we will get it that far in advance. We normally put in a search about 18 months out and have never been disappointed. I wouldn’t wait much longer than that, though.

OKW is probably the easiest to get into because it’s so huge. That’s typically what we end up with. For this next trip we didn’t request it because we wanted to try something different and I figured it would be safe since it’s so far in advance.

So, I say go for it if you can plan ahead! Good luck![/QUOTE]

Just curious about what you mean when you say “put in a search 18 months out” – how long do you have to wait to find out if you got your DVC room?

Getting a DVC room is dependent on DVC members banking their week. So, the sooner you request a room, the higher on the list you will be. For example, the time I just requested for October 2012 is so far in advance I have to be near, if not on, the top of the list. As soon as a DVC member gives up their week for that time period, RCI will contact me and tell me I can have it. I wouldn’t suggest waiting any longer than 18 months before you’d like to travel or you’re going to be far enough down on the list that you may not get a room. Hope that answers your question!

Thanks, and it sounds like you have an excellent plan and get great deals!

And though it is an awkward transition, it brings up a question I would like to ask the other DVC members here –

Am I nuts to think that if someone banks their DVC points for a use year, shouldn’t they open up that slot for other DVC members first? Shouldn’t we as DVC members have first shot at that resort?

I think the swaps with RCI and II should take place not when a DVC member banks their points… but rather when they book an RCI or II property – at that time, they can offer up their week.

Just my opinion.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1015307]Thanks, and it sounds like you have an excellent plan and get great deals!

And though it is an awkward transition, it brings up a question I would like to ask the other DVC members here –

Am I nuts to think that if someone banks their DVC points for a use year, shouldn’t they open up that slot for other DVC members first? Shouldn’t we as DVC members have first shot at that resort?

I think the swaps with RCI and II should take place not when a DVC member banks their points… but rather when they book an RCI or II property – at that time, they can offer up their week.

Just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I am in agreement!!!

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1015307]Am I nuts to think that if someone banks their DVC points for a use year, shouldn’t they open up that slot for other DVC members first? Shouldn’t we as DVC members have first shot at that resort?

Just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

It depends on if you are talking about banking within DVC or trading a week into RCI then banking it. Two entirely different situations. Banking within DVC doesn’t open any time to trade with RCI. Once you USE your DVC points to exchange into RCI they are/should be open for RCI members to trade into DVC.

ok I know that when I bank a week I have the choice between banking it with Westgate or II. whichever one I bank the week with I have to book thru and stay thru. If I bank with Westgate I can only book with Westgate. If I bank with II I can stay anywhere that has an opening in the II family. But once I bank into one I can not take it out and rebank it into the other one. I hope that helps to put a little understanding in it. Actually when we bought our Westgate property DVC was in the II and only after we had it a year or two later DVC changed over to RCI. Which by definition made it impossible for me to change a res. into Disney.
But also, if we knew what we do now back than we would of probably never had purchased a timeshare especially when we did but would of held out until later and purchased a dvc at that time.

I would like to just say the only reason why I was trying to see about this is because a friend at work has the RCI week that they are not planning on using and if I did get to do it that would definately put us onsite for my DD 10th birthday and I thought that would be a nice setting for her birthday at a villa vs. a value room which nothing is wrong with it. We are planning on this hopfully being about a two week trip for us. One week will be at a value resort with the other week at a timeshare on or offsite. the extra nice thing about onsite timeshare would be is getting to max out of a 10 hopper tickets for us instead of buying two set of tickets for us. And I would be able to get a good ADR for her birthday that way. At least this is one option the other one is that I just rent out my week and us it towards the room at the value resort and we arrive the day before her birthday and than leave 10days later on a friday giving me an extra day drive time back home. I am sure that it will most likely end up being the second option as part of the time will overlap a high demand time for the DVC and with the window of time being under 12months there will not be enough time to wait on it to possibly open up.
I do apprieciate all the input and help on finding out info to see how possible it is to for this to happen.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1015307]Thanks, and it sounds like you have an excellent plan and get great deals!

I think the swaps with RCI and II should take place not when a DVC member banks their points… but rather when they book an RCI or II property – at that time, they can offer up their week.[/QUOTE]

I remember feeling the same way during a thread awhile back. I think maybe DVC Mike (or maybe Richard) explained it very eloquently and then I felt better about it :laugh: