Transportation from Amtrak

Does any one know why Disney does not offer Magical Express to those taking the train (Amtrak) to Orlando. I know the Orlando station is as far as the airport. And who could I make that suggestion to?

Does it make fiscal sense? No. Disney is a business and although ME would be convenient for people who take a train, there are too few who use that mode of transportation to justify the cost.

There isn’t enough demand. If there were enough people riding Amtrak then you would see ME service.

Amtrak is very low volume compared to what comes through OIA.

Like others have said, it would cost too much and wouldn’t service enough people. Far more people fly in than come by train so Disney can fill buses at the airport and lower the cost. The point of ME is to get us on property and keep us there as cheaply as they can.

DisneyTeacher hit it on the head. The point of ME is WDW doesn’t want us renting cars and going to other parks. It’s interesting though. WDW often cripples other companies (transportation, waterparks, even mini golf) to get out money and keep us drugged up on pixie dust.

Another reason ME probably does’t to Amtrak from the Orlando station is the only way to get to the parks would be I4 which is a mess between Orlando and the parks.

As some of you might know mass transit has been a hot topic in Orlando. While HSR was stopped between Tampa and Orlando, Central Florida is getting Sunrail (which is a commuter service). Sunrail planning does eventually include access from OIA to International drive (the convention center) but at this point no real plans to connect tp Disney or even the other parks.

Sunrail is more for us folks that live here to get north south and stay off I4.

There is HSR coming to Florida via a private group. It is called All Aboard Florida and it will run from Miami International to OIA (with stops in Fort Lauderdale). Eventually they plan to run to Jacksonville and than to Tampa. The group has reached out to Disney about a possible connection point but has not heard back from Disney (as far as has been reported).

From what I remember of the HSR debate there aren’t any right of ways near WDW and that those would be hard to create because of development around the parks. The HSR in its dying breath would have had a stop near WDW (across I4 from Celebration) but no connection with the Orlando Amtrak station (OIA to just outside Tampa International).

During the debate on HSR/Sunrail I told a number of people why Orlando didn’t pay attention to Walts original EPCOT proposal. That if they would have Orlando/Central Florida wouldn’t be so locked into to freeways/tollways, cars, and buses. They could have put in monorails!

I agree with the above, but wanted to add, everyone from my area of the country (North East) that takes Amtrak gets on in VA and takes their car on board. I know many people who have done this to avoid flying or renting a car. Thus, no need for ME.

That’s what I am thinking for this trip… taking my car via Amtrak

How much does that cost???

Goggle Amtrak lazy.:laugh:

I honestly can’t say but I know several families who have found it to be cheaper than flying. (And less annoying than driving with small tots :ph34r:)

For a week or two vacation I can’t see how it is worth it. If you are coming down for a month or 2 it becomes more economically feasible.

Ok. You made me curious. If my family of 5 was to do this for our upcoming trip it would be around $650 each way total. This is for seats and meals. Upgrading to a bedroom car would be much more. Cheaper than flights I was able to find. NOT cheaper than driving. Also, we would have a 6 hour trip to get to the train station.

[QUOTE=tigger;1106327]There isn’t enough demand. If there were enough people riding Amtrak then you would see ME service.

Amtrak is very low volume compared to what comes through OIA.[/QUOTE]

Adding on, Disney will add ME service to Sanford International far faster than they’ll add for Amtrak service into Orlando and that doesn’t seem to be on the fast track. They certainly don’t need to offer any sort of service between the Auto Train terminal and WDW because you can’t ride the Auto Train unless you’re part of a group with a vehicle.

About $1000 for two adults and their car round trip at the end of April, coach, not a roomette. Those cost more.
Keep your eyes open. Prices vary seasonally and directionally.
In the spring, it’s more heading north, in the fall it’s more heading south.

Great things: No strip search, no baggage fees, dinner and continental breakfast included, coach seats have tons more room than a plane, outlets at every window so you can plug in your electronics.

Downsides: You have to drive to Lorton, Va (just south of DC on I-95), travel time on train is about 17 hours.

An example:Round trip airfare FLL-EWR + 5 day car rental + $200 for 2 suitcases in either direction = $850.

Round trip Auto Train coach = $1030.

Is that $200 you save worth all the extra hassle of air travel and picking up a strange car to drive on strange roads?
Some days yes, some days no.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1106574]An example:Round trip airfare FLL-EWR + 5 day car rental + $200 for 2 suitcases in either direction = $850.

Round trip Auto Train coach = $1030.

Is that $200 you save worth all the extra hassle of air travel and picking up a strange car to drive on strange roads?
Some days yes, some days no.[/QUOTE]

My assumptions were based on what I found 6 years ago when living in the NE. It was cheaper than for us to fly or drive.

Even if I still lived in NJ I would just continue the drive straight through. The 17 hours on the train plus the added time to get there early enough to load your car and then get it off in FL is not worth it. I could already be in the parks.
Now a train ride across country to see the sights would be another thing all together. That I could get into.

The only reason I have those numbers at my fingertips is that I have to go up north at the end of the month.
If it weren’t for the baggage fees, it would be much cheaper to fly and rent, unless you really want to take the train and use it for an excuse to detour to WDW on the way home to South Florida.
And that adds a whole different dimension to the choice.
Another thing that adds another variable is the ability when taking your own car, to pick up geographically unavailable foods and beverages that you can no longer fly with.

I am taking the train from PA(actually MD) to Orlando for our Disney trip in June. The train for myself and my son is less than $400 roundtrip. The ride is about 19 hours and we are not getting a roomette. We did this same trip 4 years ago with a larger group. We are not taking the Auto Train, so we are leaving out of Baltimore (about 45 mins from home).

along with my disney resort package reservation, I also got arranged transportation from Amtrak to my resort (CBR). I booked it right along with my reservation and the transportation is actually provided through MEARS. I llike that its paid a head of time, taken care of (both to and from the Amtrak station), and i dont have to worry about it. I realize its not ME, but its transportation!