Travel agent or book myself

There are sooo many travel agencies that claim to be Disney [I]experts[/I]. I don’t care how expertise they are about details - what I care about is price! Just wondering if there are agencies where I can get a better deal on a package (room, tickets + meal plan) than what I can get by making my own reservations online at the Disney website.

I did it both ways on our current trip to check exactly which was cheaper and found that the website was actually cheaper. Your mileage may vary.

I read recently that one of our own on here now works for Mouseketrips, which helps save a bundle. Check with Dana, she’s your guy:happy::happy:

What I like about using travel agent is that if/when a discount comes out, they’ll automatically rebook you. At least, I’m guessing most of them do. I know Mousketrips does.

So call them. Have them price it out for you. Then look around and do your own pricing. See what happens!

Also- judging by your name I suspect we’re somehow related. :laugh:

ahh the great ol question: to agent or not to agent…:laugh:

Do as Andrea said. Get your own price and then look into some agencies. Research the agencies and make sure that they guarantee the lowest possible price for your trip. What that means BTW is that if a discount comes out, they will rebook your trip to save you the money. That also means they are using every available tactic to make your trip as inexpensive as possible.

Every agent, no matter where they work, is getting the same price on the package. It’s the “slicker” agents that know which discount to apply to your trip to get you the best possible price that you want to deal with.

If the price were the same and I were acquainted with someone who was an agent (like say the person in the post above) then I would definitely go with the agent. I’m really wishing I had on this current trip so they could have taken over the hassle of all the re-booking I have been doing. :cheshire:

In that kind of instance, I could see where having an agent would benefit you. It is a hassle and stressful to keep booking and re-booking your magical vacation. Some people enjoy the thrill of the discount hunt and the satisfaction of doing it themselves - I am that person.:laugh:

I like the thrill of the hunt and usually have everything mapped out months in advance. It’s not been the case this time and I have literally been on the phone for hours with CM’s now. They have all been great and there is always great hold music but it’s still a hassle.

I imagines that is not pleasant. The on-hold music is pleasant for 10minutes - an hour later, makes it SO annoying and expensive if you didn’t use the 800 number! I am sorry you are dealing with that. Did you get the deal you wanted in the end? I hope so.:heart:

I have done both. . .and unless you find an authentic Disney expert, then I end up finding better deals. The last time we used an agent, we went through AAA and I had to keep calling them because I found better deals or codes for them to use to book.

The last two trips were short, I had an annual pass, and only needed to book a room, so it was just easier for me to book. Plus, we have direct flights via allegiant and I just book through them.

And, planning is part of the fun for me. :blush:

I guess what I am saying. . .if you find a good agent and you have multiple things to book, then it might be easier.

[QUOTE=Magic;1099928]I have done both. . .and unless you find an authentic Disney expert, then I end up finding better deals. The last time we used an agent, we went through AAA and I had to keep calling them because I found better deals or codes for them to use to book.

.[/QUOTE]

This frustrates me. I booked with a non-Authorized Disney Vacation planner once, only once. I was booked to stay at CBR and they closed the resort for a rehab…she wasn’t even aware of it. I read it on here and brought to her attention. She actually tried to get me to pay more…insane! I ended up doing her job for her and talking to the place she bought this pooh package and got myself a free upgrade to Wilderness Lodge.

The point of my ramble is: if you are going to use an agent, be sure that they are authorized Disney Vacation Planners (which means they went through Disney’s TA classes online for Disney College of Knowledge), check out their website, research them…don’t just pick an agent because they claim they can get you a good deal or a handy-dandy package. Like anything else in life that you buy, do you homework before you commit.

AAA is definitely not the way to go. They have their special AAA rates and discounts, but they’re not really experts, as far as I understand.

We’ve done both and I’ve used 3 different agencies. Mousketrips is BY FAR the best! It is alot less hassle to use a TA. Let me repeat MOUSKETRIPS is the best!