Travel Agent?

I’m working on our trip for September, have you all found you save money or spend more money by booking through a travel agency. If it is more expensive is it worth the money for the time you don’t have to spend booking everything? Also I would love any hints on getting free dining or any other deals!

If it is your first time booking a Disney Vacation and if you are over-whelmed at the amount of information or just don’t have the time to spend to figure it all out, then I suggest booking through a travel agent. They can also help to find you any deals/promotions that Disney is currently offering.

We tend to book our own vacations through Disney via phone or website. We have enough experience that we know what we want ahead of time and we find the website less time consuming.

Sorry, I missed this part.
Any Disney promotions can be found on the website unless they are special offers sent via mail/email with pincodes to specific people who have stayed with Disney before.

The only time we used a travel agent for a Disney trip we used Mouseketrips (see their ad on the Mousebuzz homepage). They were great and I highly recommend them.

I personally love making all the arrangements myself. I like to be in control of my vacation, with a travel agent you loose some of that (just my personal experience).

I feel the same way. Although, I have never used a travel agent…probably because I never saw the need. I know a lot of people here use them, but I never really understood why…:rolleyes:

I have done it both ways and actually found it better to just deal with Disney’s Reservation center directly.

I agree. I like having the control to be able to call Disney directly and make or change resort or dining arrangements if I need to. I also like that the correspondence comes right to me. I didn’t like it that my info. & luggage tags went to the travel agent and then I had to wait to get it from them. OK, maybe I’m a bit of a control freak when it comes to my Disney vactions…:wacko:

totally understandable!!:wink:

I neveer thought I would use a travel agent because I too, love to be in control. Then AAA saved me 400.00 and I did not think twice

Yeah, that might do it for me, too! It’s amazing what you can put up with when you’re saving lots of $$$!:blush:

We used to book our own trips, but for some reason I decided to use a TA and haven’t gone back since. You tell them when, where etc. and they take care of it all. They’re up on the codes before the public so we get them before we’re even aware of it. This year we’re using AAA also and so far have saved us over $500.00 and that’s without any codes. Couldn’t do that on my own.

The last few trips we booked through Magical Journeys.com. They are great! They book it and keep an eye out for discounts. As soon as the discounts are announced they are on top of it. They modify your reservation before you even find out about the discounts most of the time. They also have been able to assist with dining reservations. They save you alot of phone calls and time. It also does not cost anything to use their service. Disney pays them I believe.

I highly recommend Magical Journeys.

You study up on the “trip to Disney” and you will benefit by far. Travel agent for 1st time only!

Maybe it’s just me but I can’t for the LIFE of me figure out why anyone has needed the services of a travel agent since the mid-90’s? I just don’t get it. What are they doing for you that you can’t do yourself? I find that the person who gets you the best deal is the one controlling your wallet… you. :laugh:

Unless someone is an extremely busy executive who can’t be bothered with the small details of life I just don’t get why anyone would use a travel agent.

We book through the same Disney Travel Agency every year, and yes it does save us money, not a crazy amount, but it helps! We orginally startted using an agent because she is a customer of my dads and when she found out we go to disney often she told us about how she could get us deals. They are experts, and amazingly helpful. They can find the deals, because they know where to ask! The trips cost is pretty much the same like if you just went to the website and typed in your vacation information. But they find other deals, like promotions going on that the website won’t tell you about, or if free dining is being offered. Things like that.

As for free dining. They offer free dining I know around the time of year I go, end of August beginning of September, lately they’ve been pushing it further into September though. But they don’t announce the free dining until a little bit before it actually goes into effect. So it’s great for us to have a travel agent, because we can book our trip in March, and then in the end of July when they announce free dining our agent can get us free dining.

She gives lots of great tips too. We use the same agent every year, I have a lot of good things to say about her and the company she works for! We handled all our other reservations, like dinners and such. She just gets us there!

If you have any other questions, I’d love to help!!

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;938925]Maybe it’s just me but I can’t for the LIFE of me figure out why anyone has needed the services of a travel agent since the mid-90’s? I just don’t get it. What are they doing for you that you can’t do yourself? I find that the person who gets you the best deal is the one controlling your wallet… you. :laugh:

Unless someone is an extremely busy executive who can’t be bothered with the small details of life I just don’t get why anyone would use a travel agent.[/QUOTE]

Saving us over $500 is what does it for us. And it seems like the older I get the more I fell that if I can get someone else to do something for me, why should I do it myself. Especially when they save us money.

For our WDW holiday we always use Mousektrips. Keith always finds us the very best deal and modifys our bookings to take account of any offers Disney might come up with after we have booked.
As International guests telephoning Disney could be a lengthy and costly process and Keith is always willing to do any ressie for too.
Last year’s vacation we had over 14 days free dining and I can’t tell you what an enormous saving that was for us. Also we had AP discount on our room- all things that would have taken me enormous time and trouble to organise.
I agree with Wish on some things like I always do our own flights, and car hire etc and in Las Vegas I do the hotel too, but for WDW, I prefer Keith!

I don’t know, the two times I attempted to get quotes from a travel agent one quoted me actually slightly HIGHER than the deal I found on a Disney Cruise & didn’t offer me the ‘onboard credit’ that I was able to get if I booked directly myself.

The other time was for our honeymoon in '03 when I wanted to book a couple tours in Edinburgh, Scotland. Well, it turned out the travel agent sent us a premature booking confirmation & then told us LATER that their booking never went through and the tour was now full. Luckily we ended up changing our plan COMPLETELY & doing the coast of Cali but I would have been REALLY dissapointed if we had gone with the original plan.

So, I don’t know, I guess I’ve been exposed to unfortunate circumstances. Still feel pretty confident that I can get the same deals they can find but I am also a control freak & would rather do it myself.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;938925]Maybe it’s just me but I can’t for the LIFE of me figure out why anyone has needed the services of a travel agent since the mid-90’s? I just don’t get it. What are they doing for you that you can’t do yourself? I find that the person who gets you the best deal is the one controlling your wallet… you. :laugh:

Unless someone is an extremely busy executive who can’t be bothered with the small details of life I just don’t get why anyone would use a travel agent.[/QUOTE]

When I called Disney to book my trip I gave them all the information like date, resort, package…I then gave AAA the same info and she saved me $400.00. I then called back to Disney and they could only give me AAA discount for the room only and I wanted MYW with dinning. Only through AAA was the discount available for a pakcage. If the difference was only $50-100 I may have not booked with AAA because I do not like the fact I can not view our vacation on the Disney website and I am a CONTROL FREEK. With todays econ I could not help but book AAA-heck…even if the econ was doing fantastic I would grab a $400 discount.

I will always check AAA for a better price. They also told me at AAA they only had so many rooms and packages with that price and usually sells out before the 6 month period before your stay.