Trying a few new restaurants. Suggestions?

I always like to try one or two restaurants which I have never been to or where it has been so long that the menus or experience has changed. Could you recommend a couple of these that I should be checking out? I’m traveling with my wife and two boys, 9 and 7. We are also paying out of pocket, so that may be a consideration. Also please mention if there is a particular meal which is better than the others.
MK: The Plaza, Liberty Tree (post character dining).
AK: Yak and Yeti, Rainforest Café, Donald’s Breakfast
Epcot: Via Napoli, La Hacienda de San Angel, Nine Dragons, Teppan Edo, Tokyo Dining, Arkeshus, Bistro De Paris
HS: Brown Derby
Resorts: Jiko, Sanaa, Flying Fish (was last there in 99), Kouzinna, Shutters, Bluezoo, GF Café, Narcoossees, Kona, Il Mulino, Captains Grill, Boatwrights
Downtown: Capn Jacks, Portobello, Paradiso 37, House of Blues, T rex, Wolfgang Puck Café
I might be missing some. Also looking for cool lounges to grab a beverage.
Thanks for your ideas.

We thoroughly enjoyed Teppan Edo in Sept. That was our first time at that restaurant. DS5 also enjoyed it. I do have to say, the chefs at the other two tables, though very entertaining, didn’t seem to be as great as ours. :blush:

MK: It’s been a while since I’ve eaten at Liberty Tree, but I remember the food was good. I’ve only eaten there for lunch - I can’t remember if dinner is still a buffet since they’ve gotten rid of characters. And then the Plaza is also a nice little restaurant. I just feel like I’ve done all of the MK restaurants a few times, so sometimes I like to leave MK during the afternoon or evening and eat at one of the MK resorts. It’s a nice way to escape the theme park crowds and heat.

AK: We enjoy all three of these restaurants. A lot of people hate on Rainforest Cafe, but it’s a great restaurant for children because the atmosphere is so entertaining - not to mention there are food options for every taste because the menu is so diverse. Tusker House is now serving a character lunch, as well as character breakfast, so keep that in mind. We also really enjoyed Yak n Yeti in the past and would recommend that. However, it is Asian cuisine, so if you plan on eating at an Asian restaurant in World Showcase, you might want to skip this.

Epcot: We really enjoyed La Hacienda de San Angel on our last trip. The food was very good, and the atmosphere was brighter than San Angel Inn. It’s comparable in price - maybe a little less expensive. However, the entrees are much larger than what I remember about San Angel Inn.

We also really like Tokyo Dining. It’s great if you are a fan of sushi - and the restaurant has great views of World Showcase.

DHS: We’ve eaten at the Brown Derby a few times, and a lot of people love it, but it’s just not our favorite. It’s a little pricey, and kind of a more adult atmosphere. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it for 7 and 9 year old boys. What we like to do when at DHS because we’ve eaten at every sit-down there is take the boat to the Boardwalk (actually, get off at the Swan - it’s a quick walk to the Boardwalk) and eat lunch or dinner there. We enjoyed Big River Grille. You could also go to one of the Epcot-area resorts for a meal - perhaps Beaches & Cream.

Resorts: Kona Cafe!!! Love this place - the bread is AMAZING!!! I wouldn’t recommend Bluezoo because it’s so ridiculously stuffy. We went there once, and the hostesses were very snobby. It just wasn’t an enjoyable atmosphere.

Downtown: T-Rex Cafe! If you haven’t read my latest TR, that’s the first restaurant we ate at, and it was one of our favorites. It’s cooler than T-Rex, in my opinion. There is great detail throughout the restaurant, and like Rainforest, the menu has many options that are very diverse.

[QUOTE=bribren;1110719] Also please mention if there is a particular meal which is better than the others.
Epcot: Via Napoli, La Hacienda de San Angel, Nine Dragons, Teppan Edo, Tokyo Dining, Arkeshus, Bistro De Paris
Resorts: Jiko, Sanaa, Flying Fish (was last there in 99), Kouzinna, Shutters, Bluezoo, GF Café, Narcoossees, Kona, Il Mulino, Captains Grill, Boatwrights
Downtown: Capn Jacks, Portobello, Paradiso 37, House of Blues, T rex, Wolfgang Puck Café
Thanks for your ideas.[/QUOTE]

MK: I have only been to Liberty Tree for lunch and I really enjoyed it. Do try that one.
AK: LOVE Yak and Yeti! It’s the best one on your list and I have tried all three of those.
Epcot: Via Napoli interests me the most.
HS: Not a fan of the Brown Derby. It’s over-priced and just average food in my opinion.
DTD: Trex is fun. I really enjoyed my meal there.

[QUOTE=bribren;1110719]I always like to try one or two restaurants which I have never been to or where it has been so long that the menus or experience has changed. Could you recommend a couple of these that I should be checking out? I’m traveling with my wife and two boys, 9 and 7. We are also paying out of pocket, so that may be a consideration. Also please mention if there is a particular meal which is better than the others.

Opinions Yes:
Yak and Yeti, Via Napoli, Tokyo Dining (get your sushi and tempura fix), Teppan Edo to a lesser extent, Bistro has been on my will try list for a while, but haven’t made it work with my schedules, Flying Fish,Jiko (to a point), Narcoossee’s, Bluezoo (worth a try), Il Mulino has gotten good notices, but I haven’t been there, Kona Cafe for breakfast or dinner, Brown Derby is worth a look, HoB, Wolfgang Puck upstairs or downstairs.

Ate at Portobello once and have a neutral opinion. Haven’t tried Sanaa. Paradiso is an unknown, but haven’t seen muck glowing reviews.

AVOID Cap’n Jack’s!! NOT WORTH TIME OR MONEY!!!
Rainforest is all over the place, and T-Rex is a companion concept.

You didn’t like Trex Doug? I thought it was cute and the food was good.

[QUOTE=bribren;1110719]I always like to try one or two restaurants which I have never been to or where it has been so long that the menus or experience has changed. Could you recommend a couple of these that I should be checking out? I’m traveling with my wife and two boys, 9 and 7. We are also paying out of pocket, so that may be a consideration. Also please mention if there is a particular meal which is better than the others.

I love the idea of going to WDW and trying new restaurants. Our trip last May included a new restaurant every night. My children are the same ages as yours and I must say they really enjoyed Teppan Edo. I celebrated my birthday there and the chef and all the wait staff were spectacular!

I also have to give high praise to GF Cafe. This was a really nice meal with great atmosphere and memorable food. My husband said his filet was great, but he would consider it one notch below Le Cellier (pretty high praise from a Le Cellier lover). The muscles appetizer and the dessert sampler were fantastic.

We have been to Rainforest at AK. We have a Rainforest close to our home so we found it to be just so so. I would give T Rex a try if you have done Rainforest in the past. I have also read on several Disney Boards that the theming is better at T Rex.

Enjoy your new dining experiences!

Soundgod is a man. He doesn’t do “cute.” :laugh:

You know, T-Rex isn’t bad and the animatronic displays are top notch.
The food and menu are comparable to Rainforest, a plus and a minus.
To me, the two are the same restaurant in the same way that Big Thunder MK and Big Thunder DL are the same ride, but with some variation, and I’ve got several Rainforests in my general neighborhood.

Plenty of people get a kick out of both places and there’s nothing wrong with them on any level, be it service, food quality, wide menu choice, well stocked bar, and atmosphere. The prices aren’t terrible either.

But I’ve been there and done that several times, so for me, RFC and T-Rex would be fall back options.
Mileage will vary.

Curse you Perry the Platypus!

If I don’t do cute, explain the growing collection of stuffed Goofys and my talking Dug.:tongue:

You still haven’t got me figured out.
The name is Pan. Peter Pan.

On second thought:
I’m offended that you think so little of me.
I love cute.
Ask me while I’m on Small World or Splash Mountain (the early part, not the waterfall part).

We enjoyed Via Napoli much more than we thought we would. We knew it would be OK when we made ressies, but we were much more pleased than anticipated. We all ordered pizzas of course and they were quite good.

We tried Yak & Yeti for the first time last trip and said we would go back, food was great and service was too.

Always love Donald’s breakfast.

MK: Liberty Tree - We’ve eaten diner her a couple of times - it’s always been very good.

AK: Yak and Yeti I’ve eaten lunch here a couple of times, I thought it was good and would return, Donald’s Breakfast - this is one of my favorite breakfast and a must do for me every trip - It has different food items than the other charcter breakfasts and I love the jumba juice. I think the interaction the characters have with the children and the fact they give the instraments for the parade.

Epcot: Arkeshus - We’ve usually eat breakfast here every visit, it’s a different kind of breakfast sort of buffet/family style thing. The food is very good and they have the best potato cassarole, if you have little princesses this is a great place to go. They usually have Belle, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and then the other one or two depend on which princess is available. Included in the price of breakfaast is a picute with Belle.
HS: Brown Derby - I like this restaurant. To me it seems more for adults than kids, not that it’s not kid friendly, I just don’t think if I was a child it would appeal to me. I haven’t been here for a while, because I can’t get a reservation.

Resorts: Jiko, Sanaa, We ate at one of these restaurants for a food and wine pairing…but I can’t remeber which one it was…and it’s a shame, because it was very good. Kouzinna - love the waffles with marscapone cheese. GF Café - Very nice place service is very good food is very good. It’s like an old time coffee shop. Narcoossees - We love this restaurant, a must do every trip. Kona - ate breakfast here not to long ago, had the Tonga Toast, It was very good Would go back.

T rex - Great restaurant especially for children, little loud, but my DH grandkids love this place. Food is very good. Earl of Sandwich - great sandwiches and we don’t have one of these close to where I live, so I like to stop here if possible.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1110750]On second thought:
I’m offended that you think so little of me.
I love cute.
Ask me while I’m on Small World or Splash Mountain (the early part, not the waterfall part).[/QUOTE]

I apologize, Soundgod. I am sure you are very sweet to the singing dolls.

(I just really wanted to say that line, so I did - sorry to offend!)

Classic movie retort #45: “I’m just ****in’ with ya”.

No offense perceived and none taken.

Everyone is listing restaraunts. I’ll hit the lounges. We hit many during our trips.
-GF: 2nd floor overlooking Seven Seas
-CR: 4th floor before Chef Mickeys overlooking Seven Seas
-WL: to the left off the lobby (Territory Lounge)
-Poly: Lobby overlooking Seven Seas. Great place to also order apps. (Tambu)
-BW: to the right side of the lobby (??Belle Vue Lounge)
-AKL: Victoria Falls
-BC/YC: Hurricaine Hanna’s
-Outside on the Boardwalk itself: Big River Grille and Brewing Works. Grab a caft beer and relax outside.

Thanks for all the great info. I do like the territory Lounge, you can get good nachos there.

So far It looks like there is some acclaim for the GF cafe, I might try that one. Is there a preference for breakfast, lunch or dinner?

I also liked the Tune in Lounge in HS. You can order off the 50’s menu.

[QUOTE=bribren;1110794]Thanks for all the great info. I do like the territory Lounge, you can get good nachos there.

So far It looks like there is some acclaim for the GF cafe, I might try that one. Is there a preference for breakfast, lunch or dinner?

I also liked the Tune in Lounge in HS. You can order off the 50’s menu.[/QUOTE]

GF cafe is a great place to hop over to for a break from the MK. We have done lunch and dinner and both were great. Have not hit it for breakfast yet.

We were so disillusioned with Disney dining last visit, that maybe I’m getting a little jaded…but…out of your list I would recommend:

Yak & Yeti (we had the oddest server…:blink:)
Tokyo Dining (LOVED it) A “must” for us now. The servers are charming
Bistro de Paris (definitely an “Adults Only”)
Flying Fish
Narcoosee’s
Kona Cafe (breakfast is terrific!)

Some you didn’t mention, but don’t disappoint:

The Turf Club - Saratoga Springs
Olivia’s - OKW
LeCellier - Canada, Epcot
Biergarten - Germany, Epcot
Earl of Sandwich - Marketplace

First time we went to Via Napoli we absolutely loved it - the pizza was great, service was wonderful. We went last October and were so disappointed. Service was terrible and the food (we didn’t order pizza) was “meh”. I’d go back again and order the pizza - but I think I’d do it for lunch.

We weren’t very fond of The Plaza when we ate there, but the last time we were there was in 2007, so maybe things have changed. The Liberty Tree was good though.

Donald’s breakfast is a must-do for us every year. We love their selection of breakfast foods and the decor is wonderful.

We visited Teppen Edo last year when we went (My kids were 15, 13, 10) and we all had a wonderful time. Will definitely go back next time.