Trying a restaurant for the first time. But which one?

Well I have the $750 gift card for this August. I think this was way better than the free dining for me. It will be me (Dad) and two boys (8 and 6). I’m convinced to try somewhere new for dinner.

Obviously since I’ve never eaten at any of these places I’m unsure what to pick. So I’m offering it up for suggestions. Money is no object but kids have to be taken into account. I’ll list places I have not eaten dinner at:
[ol]
[li]Kona Cafe[/li][li]Kouzzina[/li][li]Portobello[/li][li]Planet Hollywood[/li][li]Nine Dragons[/li][li]Narcoosees[/li][li]Teppan Edo[/li][li]Wolfgang Puck Cafe[/li][li]Bistro DeParis[/li][li]Brown Derby[/li][li]Grand Floridian Cafe[/li][li]Bongos[/li][li]Rainforest Cafe[/li][li]Yak and Yeti[/li][li]Blue Zoo[/li][li]Il Molina[/li][li]Jiko[/li][li]Boatwrights[/li][li]Sanaa[/li][li]Shutters[/li][/ol]

I’m actually surprised at all of the places I have been. I’m sure some people have shorter lists than me.

before I give you any type of advice… have you looked at any of the menus yet? i was able to eliminate a lot of them based on the menus.

DEFINITELY do Kona Cafe, any meal, but my favorite is breakfast. Lilikoi Juice and the french toast. Perfect.

Second, Narcoosee’s is great for dinner. Last year the toilet had backed up into the restaurant and the smell was HORRENDOUS 20 feet from the lobby, but somehow we stuck it out and the food was still phenomenal. I would always do Narcoosees if you had the choice.

The only thing left on the list I see I would do is Bistro De Paris. Great food. While Chefs De France is frozen and warmed, but decent, Bistro is the real stuff and definitely worth it.

For sure do Kona. But the two are great.

Enjoy, good luck!

Off that list, I’ve eaten at Kona, Teppan Edo, Rainforest Cafe, and Boatwrights.

Kona, as cjtownman said, is not to be missed! I’ve been for breakfast & dinner and really enjoyed both. Their Hawaiian bread with macadamia nut butter is unbelievable!

Teppan Edo was delicious. We had great service and while our chef was a little more reserved, the rest of the chefs in the dining room were very entertaining.

Rainforest Cafe… I don’t have any specific complaints, but if it was me and I had to choose between this and one of the others on your list, I’d try one of the others.

Boatwrights was great. I ate here with my family and we all really enjoyed it. The crayfish bites were everyone’s favorite!

Hope this helps a bit. Enjoy your Disney dining! :happy:

We’ve been to Kouzzina’s, Planet Hollywood, Rainforest Cafe and Nine Dragons and out of the three the only one I would go back to would be Kouzzina’s. The breakfast there was fantastic and strolling around the Boardwalk afterwards was great. They have magicians and what not at night which is pretty amuzing! Planet Hollywood was ok, nothing to write home about but with one here in Niagara Falls I find it hard to get excited about, same with Rainforest Cafe… Nine Dragons was not a great experience, in waiting for an hour and a half to get our meal, as somehow we got forgotton about…LOL…plus the food was, blah to be honest when we finally did get it…

Narcossee’s is supposed to be fantastic and if Sanaa is anything like what we experienced at Boma, it would be a great place to try out!!

Good luck in making your choices!

ok, this is a pretty eclectic list.

must do’s for us are GF Cafe, WP cafe’, Bistro

We love Sanaa - but do check the menu. The location and dining experience was superb. My DD6 chose this for our next trip as well!!

Do check the menu listings for the restaurants that you listed, especially with 2 boys. We really enjoy Portobello at DtD, Narcoossees at the GF. If you go go Rain-forest, go the one at AK. We find it is less busy, and just as good as DtD. It is nothing special to write home about, but O.K. The kids will most likely like it.

Narcoosees. It think all of your group will appreciate all it offers. Ask for a window table an plan a time to watch the fireworks.

The only places we’ve eaten at on your list is GF cafe, WGP cafe, Boatwrights and Rainforest cafe. All were very good except Rainforest. :blow:

Our family, which includes DS9 and DD8, likes:

Sanaa
Kona
Wolf Gang Puck Cafe
Portobello

[QUOTE=bribren;1026192]Well I have the $750 gift card for this August. I think this was way better than the free dining for me. It will be me (Dad) and two boys (8 and 6). I’m convinced to try somewhere new for dinner.

Obviously since I’ve never eaten at any of these places I’m unsure what to pick. So I’m offering it up for suggestions. Money is no object but kids have to be taken into account. I’ll list places I have not eaten dinner at:
[ol]
[li]Kona Cafe
[/li][li]Kouzzina
[/li][li]Portobello
[/li][li]Planet Hollywood
[/li][li]Nine Dragons
[/li][li]Narcoosees
[/li][li]Teppan Edo
[/li][li]Wolfgang Puck Cafe
[/li][li]Bistro DeParis
[/li][li]Brown Derby
[/li][li]Grand Floridian Cafe
[/li][li]Bongos
[/li][li]Rainforest Cafe
[/li][li]Yak and Yeti
[/li][li]Blue Zoo
[/li][li]Il Molina
[/li][li]Jiko
[/li][li]Boatwrights
[/li][li]Sanaa
[/li][li]Shutters
[/li][/ol]

I’m actually surprised at all of the places I have been. I’m sure some people have shorter lists than me.[/QUOTE]

By process of elimination, taking into consideration the kids - strike BlueZoo, Brown Derby, Bistro de Paris off the list. They are not restaurants kids would like. Nine Dragons has a not-so-great reputation and you can get Chinese food at home. Same goes for Yak & Yeti. The food is your typical Thai restaurant. Only probably not as good as the hole-in-the-wall place at home. Boatwrights is extremely mediocre. The kind of place you eat because you’re starving and every other restaurant in the World is full. Ditto, Shutters. Kids love Planet Hollywood and Rainforest - fun, but not exactly “fine dining” and the noise level is deafening. Bongos has a reputation for really bad food.

We just ate at Sanaa - and I wouldn’t recommend it.

Jiko? - well, are your kids into trying new and VERY different foods?

Kona Cafe has wonderful food in a very relaxed setting, so if you want “fine dining” it’s not the place. If you just want to enjoy yourselves and know the food will be good - give it a try.

Wolfgang Puck Cafe has great food. Upstairs is better than downstairs. You won’t be disappointed in the food - but some of the waiters can be snooty - god only knows why.

Grand Floridian Cafe - meh.

Portobello and Narcoosees are both excellent restaurants.

Kids love Teppan Edo for the entertaining chefs and the food is decent.

I haven’t tried Il Molino or Kouzzina…

So - which one would I choose? Probably one of the two I haven’t tried - probably Kouzzina.

Yeah, what she said:happy:

Rainforest is really bad! I hope they move it out someday and replace it with a good restaurant without the sales gimmicks. Remember your kids ages, some of these places aren’t really for kids. Chef Mickey’s, Flame Tree on their dock, Wilderness Lodge are real kid places. Have fun!

Yuck! We were not impressed with Kat’s place

Scratch off Rainforest, not impressed at all. Our first trip in 07’ we ate there and it was o.k. , 2nd trip, not so good unless you like Buffalo Wings and that’s it. Oh yeah… Beer was good :slight_smile:

OK that’s good to know. I read the menu which didn’t knock my socks off - to much lamb:blow: - but I figured I should try out an Iron Chef. Now I won’t.

So I’ll change my vote to Il Molino.

Pish posh, my kids enjoyed it there.

Pish Posh?

'ello Mary Poppins!

PISH POSH???:laugh:

You made a wrong turn somewhere lady… Germany’s to the EAST.

Now, Spit-spat - get it right.