Turkey Leg Questions

1. who has had a turkey leg at MK

2. who know if they use MSG or MSG like seasoning in the turkey leg

3. tell me your best turkey leg story

I really want to try the turkey leg next time I am there but I have a real sensitivity to MSG (makes me very ill) and have been afraid to try it.

1. Does HS count? If yes than … ME.
  2. Heck if I know
  3. Tasted like a piece of fatty ham. And I had stinky ham hands all day.

I’ve never personally bought one, although dh has. I’ve tasted it and it does taste like ham. I wouldn’t hold it cause I hate having greasy, dirty hands. I remember when we met Dana at the MK, her dd really wanted to try one, so she and my dh bought them. Dana and I had a few bites and agreed that it made us feel yuck. I don’t know whether it was because it had msg or because it was just - yuck. I know we threw them away half eaten. DH has never expressed any desire to buy another one. And we all agreed that we felt - yuck.

Now, interestingly enough, smoked turkey is really popular around here at bar mitzvahs. Thin slices of smoked turkey breast are really delicate and delicious. That I enjoyed. (my gosh - I’m starting to sound like Soundgod…)

I love them. As far as the MSG goes I am sure they would be able to find out if you ask the person at the cart. I am now officially hungry.

[QUOTE=llama;1100928]
Now, interestingly enough, smoked turkey is really popular around here at bar mitzvahs. Thin slices of smoked turkey breast are really delicate and delicious. That I enjoyed. (my gosh - I’m starting to sound like Soundgod…)[/QUOTE]

Boar’s Head now has a hickory smoked brisket that’s really good:happy:

Well I do love ham…and portable meat that taste like ham…

You just like the concept of hand portable food.

But is it really a ham-like taste, or is it just the meat is so thoughoughly infused with wood smoke?

Chuck is doing BBQ Turkey Legs on Chucks Day Off…

DS laways had them. Usually at HS.

Don’t know about the MSG. Write Disney and ask.

Best leg story is DS finishing his in well under 5 minutes. He got one on the way to RNRRC one night during EMH. As we got closer to the entrance line we saw that there was no line visable. To put it plainly, he shoved what was left of the dang thing in his mouth, stripped the meat off, and threw the bone in the trash can. I thought I was going to fall over in hysterics.
I’ve tried them and it was ok, but nothing I have to grab each trip.

I would tread carefully. I am also sensitive to MSG, and when I last had one of those things back in '07, my hands and feet blew up like balloons within minutes after eating the first bite (usually the first stage of a reaction for me). It was tasty, but ultimately not worth it, and I haven’t had one since. I know the legs are brined for awhile before they’re smoked, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if MSG were a component.

I have…once and only once

1. who know if they use MSG or MSG like seasoning in the turkey leg

They will tell you no, but I am going to go with yes… my reaction was not good. I also cannot have anything to do with that nasty stuff…

1. tell me your best turkey leg story

I ate one…it was funny at the time. I got turkey over-dose and then puked later. Like many of the buffets and food at WDW, I got a horrible reaction to it. That’s my good story.:laugh:

I really want to try the turkey leg next time I am there but I have a real sensitivity to MSG (makes me very ill) and have been afraid to try it.

I think should do it once…at the end of your Disney Day when you intend to go back to the resort…just in case.

Ok I found this… hope it helps:

Walt Disney World - Frontierland Turkey Leg - YouTube

I thought the questions were going to be. .

1. Are they really turkeys?
  2. If the answer to number one is yes, then where do they grow extra said turkeys?
  3. If the answer to number three is at Disney, can we visit the turkeys.
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

actually, we usually get one per visit, never think I will get one again, but we always do.

1. Not in the MK, but in Epcot, this past December.
  2. No idea, but if it is, MSG tastes great.
  3. I completely agree, fatty ham. However, I can tell you I walked through Epcot holding a turkey leg for three little girls (8 year old, 7 year old, and a 5 year old) which literally looked like rapid dogs ripping meat from the bone, gnawing on it one after the other. People were looking at us like “do they feed those girls?” They were absolutely enthralled by the fatty greasy bird leg. I don’t know if I would get one for myself, but wow, I would love to see the spectacle of these three proper little girls anytime. Next time I will get it on video to show at their weddings.

My favorite picture from the past! This child can EAT her weight in Turkey Legs. I can’t offer any advice regarding the MSG, but we always get ours right outside of pirates (especially if it is a long wait).

had it once and never tried it again,not my favorite,but others seem to like it

I eat them every trip. I swell up like a balloon the next day, every time.

I saw a Food Network show on how the legs are made, including a visit to the smokehouse that they come from, and they are actually infused with salt water. I don’t care, I love them, and I love them some more!

Er, let’s just say, they don’t ship well…

How are you with salt? It’s a salt recipe. Salt and more salt.

… did I mention salt? :laugh:

Yes I had one once :frowning: didn’t like- far too big for me and very sinewy? Once you got past the rub on the skin it was pretty awful…But, DH loves them.

Our Turkey leg story was when there was an Alligator in the water at Tom Sawyer’s Island and guests were throwing the remains of the Turkey legs to the gator to watch him snap at them. Needless to say CM’s were trying to move guests on and discourage this, because as one CM said to us, he is going to come out of the water soon and start looking for those Turkey legs himself.
Strangely enough, the gator had ‘disappeared’ the next time we went to MK ( a few days later)- that’s my Turkey leg story Tigger!

[QUOTE=dixie;1101142]Yes I had one once :frowning: didn’t like- far too big for me and very sinewy? Once you got past the rub on the skin it was pretty awful…But, DH loves them.

Our Turkey leg story was when there was an Alligator in the water at Tom Sawyer’s Island and guests were throwing the remains of the Turkey legs to the gator to watch him snap at them. Needless to say CM’s were trying to move guests on and discourage this, because as one CM said to us, he is going to come out of the water soon and start looking for those Turkey legs himself.
Strangely enough, the gator had ‘disappeared’ the next time we went to MK ( a few days later)- that’s my Turkey leg story Tigger![/QUOTE]

Fried gator tail maybe?

[QUOTE=dixie;1101142]Yes I had one once :frowning: didn’t like- far too big for me and very sinewy? Once you got past the rub on the skin it was pretty awful…But, DH loves them.

Strangely enough, the gator had ‘disappeared’ the next time we went to MK ( a few days later)- that’s my Turkey leg story Tigger![/QUOTE]

what is strange about this is in 20 years of going I have never seen a gator on disney property,once one of our drivers who said he saw a gator near a retention pond well off property,what seems strange is the CM or disney not clearing the area,protecting guests from any kind of mishap or just maybe the turkey leg is protection enough…haha