"Under The Sea-Journey of the Little Mermaid" Review

Today I had the honor of getting to go through the attraction as we prepare for guest to start enjoying New Fantasyland. As always here is my take on the latest attractions.

I’ve seen many new things and attractions these past 8 years. NEVER have I ever seen such attention to detail and beauty as what I’ve seen of New Fantasyland. Belles Village is absolutely wonderful. The Tavern alone is right out of the film in EVERY detail. But I’m here to talk about Ariel, and it, too, looks like the animated cels the film was painted on.

We start by walking through the seaside gates of Prince Erics castle. He and Ariel have grown special clams by the sea under the castle that will take guest on a journey under the sea as Scuttle shares the story of Ariel, The Little Mermaid. Walking through the gates, you get to see the beauty of the castle, and make your way down to the seashore. Here you find the most amazing interactive queue experience. Blue crabs are moving treasures around into assorted piles. If you see a crab taking treasure to a pile it doesn’t belong to, you tell him no, and he’ll take it back!

I hesitate to bring this next part up, but it’s just too cool not to mention. As you progress further, you’ll come across a hidden Mickey that will ONLY appear at noon on Mickey’s birthday (11/18). Its cut into the top of one of the rocks, so when the sun shines on it ONLY on that day of the year, the hidden Mickey shadow will appear. I think I’ve an idea of when this ride will be the busiest :biggrin:

Next you to come to Scuttle, one of the most amazing and intelligent audio animatronics ever. He knows the weather conditions. He knows the people in the room. He understands when you speak to him. I could’ve spent over an hour talking to him! It truly will help on those days where there are huge lines.

Finally, you enter the area under the castle. This chamber literally took my breath away from its beauty and detail. I had grown friends who were crying at the site. The illusion truly makes you feel you’re now part of Ariel’s story. Its time to board the clams.

I’m not sure how similar this attraction is to its cousin in Disneyland. But the special effects are pure magic. The audio is beautiful, and the rooms are so beautiful as you ride through them. The “Under the Sea” room is nothing but a pure delight. Its right after this part of the ride I really had my only qualm. It goes by too quickly for me. There are a few more scenes I felt could’ve been added to really make this ride not only seem a little longer but also tell even more to the story. However, the special effects of the ride more than make up for it.

This attraction isn’t a coaster. It isn’t a thrill ride in any way. Yet I’ve never been on an attraction that got my heart pumping with excitement the way this one did. Of all the “dark rides” like Peter Pan, Snow White, Mr. Toad, etc., the intricacy of this attaction probably won’t be surpassed for a very long time. It was pure magic, and I’ve never felt more a part of one of our fairy tales as I did when I went “Under the Sea.”

9 out of 10

Wow…Rowdy…thanks for posting this great description!!! In August I was so excited and intrigued by the models of the New Fantasyland (found in DHS) and particularly the model of Under the Sea…a cast Member explained it all…I can’t wait to see everything…but that will have to wait a few years for us!

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the review Rowdy! I am even more excited to see it now!

Thanks for the review! Wow- so exciting!

New Fantasyland sounds so amazing and beautiful! Hope I get to see it sometime.

As for the actual Ariel ride? I stand by my original review: it is incredibly beautiful, the Under the Sea room just makes me want to applaud, but it’s really missing something. From what I’ve read, it’s a carbon-copy of the Disneyland version.

After the first busy few months, at Disneyland it’s pretty much down to a walk-on. It’s just not quite magical enough to be a priority; Peter Pan, on the other hand, never has less than a half an hour wait, even on the slowest day.

Now… if you get a carbon-copy of Cars Land at DHS… now THAT is something to take your breath away!

[QUOTE=Andrea;1123418]

After the first busy few months, at Disneyland it’s pretty much down to a walk-on. It’s just not quite magical enough to be a priority; Peter Pan, on the other hand, never has less than a half an hour wait, even on the slowest day.

Now… if you get a carbon-copy of Cars Land at DHS… now THAT is something to take your breath away![/QUOTE]

Something new should come to HS. And Cars Land is a wonderful idea.

fantasmic that almost had me in tears just reading your detailed review

thanks for that

Thanks for sharing! I am so excited to see this for myself in January!

Thanks Rowdy, will there be access to fantasyland prior to 12/6?

[QUOTE=Andrea;1123418]New Fantasyland sounds so amazing and beautiful! Hope I get to see it sometime.

As for the actual Ariel ride? I stand by my original review: it is incredibly beautiful, the Under the Sea room just makes me want to applaud, but it’s really missing something. From what I’ve read, it’s a carbon-copy of the Disneyland version.

Now… if you get a carbon-copy of Cars Land at DHS… now THAT is something to take your breath away![/QUOTE]

Agree…AGREE…AGREE!!!

Absolutely. IN FACT, today was our first official “dress rehearsal,” where we allowed guests through all the completed parts of New Fantasyland! :biggrin:

Just got off the ride. Outstanding is all I can say!!! Every thing Rowdy said is right on.
This was not the day to leave the camera in the room.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1123451]Just got off the ride. Outstanding is all I can say!!! Every thing Rowdy said is right on.
This was not the day to leave the camera in the room.[/QUOTE]

Oh good…glad it was as they predicted…

Oh I can’t wait!!!

VIDEO - Take a ride through at Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid

I wanna go!

i wish i could go 11/18:(