Unhappy CM's

There were many CM’s out picketing the other night right at one of the entrances to WDW and it was all over the news. They are VERY unhappy with the pay scale and Disney definitely had to be quite embarrased by the showing. They said mediation is going on but they made it quite clear by the signs they carrying and the interviews they gave how unhappy they are.

They maybe unhappy but they still have a job that many would like to have.

I agree but if you had to live on what many of the CM’s live on and try to support a family you would not be as happy as you think working at WDW. I am not saying many would like the opportunity but I am being realistic.

Blame themselves for where they are in life not WDW for what they pay.

I think it’s great to have a job. But I also think it’s ok to be unhappy with the way employers are treating their employees right now. The company I work for is completly taking advantage of the current job market and economy, and the employees here are getting hurt the most. I wish there was a way to organize a little protest here too.

The CM’s at Disney have every right to complain about the pay scale. That doens’t mean Disney will do anything about it.

[QUOTE=Goodegirl2007;1058032]I think it’s great to have a job. But I also think it’s ok to be unhappy with the way employers are treating their employees right now. The company I work for is completly taking advantage of the current job market and economy, and the employees here are getting hurt the most. I wish there was a way to organize a little protest here too.

The CM’s at Disney have every right to complain about the pay scale. That doens’t mean Disney will do anything about it.[/QUOTE]

You took the words right out of my mouth! There are a lot of unhappy people where I work. We are happy to have jobs, but the company is taking advantage of us because they know we have very few options. I would love to work somewhere else, but there are no openings with the economy the way it is. Corporate sees that as a way to be stingy with us because they know they won’t lose us. :mad: Wait until the economy gets back on track!

CM’s can complain all they want, just like any other worker anywhere else. I know they don’t have high paying jobs, but I wouldn’t expect them to. I would love to work for Disney, but I’m not blind to the reality of it. You get the benefits of being an employee (free admissions, discounts,etc.), but I would never expect theme park workers to have high paying jobs.

In the situation we sit right now people should be content with what they have. Most businesses are not “taking advantage” of their employees. They are merely trying to keep the doors open. Disney is in the same boat. You can argue that profits are being made and there are but still the bottom line is being squeezed. I see it everywhere. This is not the time for complaining.

I am a teacher and I work in one of the bottom five (in terms of salary) in the state. Of course, I do not get paid for ALL of the time that I put in on weekends, after “contract time,” or papers I bring home. I completely understand the thought of not being paid nearly enough, but at the same time there is a bit of a trade off. I LOVE my job and the pay obviously doesnt make me leave my job. There is something to be said for those of us who get little pay, poor health ins, no dental or vision ins, but still go at it everyday with a smile because we love it. I am sure there are people who work for Mickey who feel the same way, you cant put a price tag on the enjoyment of the job. We all have an idea of what we will earn when we enter into a profession and we have to make decisions accordingly. It is just a matter of balancing that happiness with the reality of paying the bills.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder what they do get paid. If you think about the jobs that are retail, fast food, etc. they don’t get paid much elsewhere either.

I don’t have enough information to say anything for or against this, but I would assume just because it is Disney they should not make more than the same job in the Orlando area.

I hope regardless some resolution for all involved is found. :mickey:

[QUOTE=jk8;1058054]Hmm, interesting. I wonder what they do get paid. If you think about the jobs that are retail, fast food, etc. they don’t get paid much elsewhere either.

I don’t have enough information to say anything for or against this, but I would assume just because it is Disney they should not make more than the same job in the Orlando area.

I hope regardless some resolution for all involved is found. :mickey:[/QUOTE]

Base starting salary for most Disney advertised CM jobs ranges from $7.50 to $10.50.

You must remember that most of the jobs at the parks do not require anything but on the job training. The salaried positions will pay higher as they are looking for a certain skill set, college degree and/or job experience. That some expect to live off the salary of a CM on a ride or other basic skill job is crazy at best. But ya gotta love unions. They will try every trick.

The big disadvantage the union has is that there are plenty of applications for postions, even during the good economic times a few years back. And the other parks pay scales are very close to Disney’s.

The unions around here have managed to close over twenty shop in the past 5 years for refusing to keep wages and pay at the same rate. I know that costs do go up, but, where the workers were being paid 15 to 20 dollar an hour they are now getting nothing and we lost over 3,000 jobs because the union told the workers they will get the companies to give in. All those companies have now move either to Mexico or India. Great move union bosses.

Like it or not WDW is a BUSINESS and they can picket all they want, but decisions HAVE to made that make people unhappy. Here some points they are dealing with that in these financial times ALL businesses are facing.

1. Each job has to HAVE a cap. WDW has to have some sort of scale of how much people are allowed to make…in other words - Mousekeeping tops out at “x” amount of dollars, the same for bus drivers, ride operators, hotel desk clerks, phone operators, and so on and so on. At some point in time you can’t pay a bus driver $100,000 when you can hire someone just as qualified for $30,000.

2. It’s a free country - stop wasting time picketing and get a 2nd job if things are that tough or use that time to land a higher paying job and quit.

3. Trying to blemish WDW image really hurts them.

Striking in this fiscal environment is really stupid IMO…and makes the picketers look really spoiled to those who are searching for work right now.

Plus, if the pay scale for all of those people went up, so would ticket prices… and not all of us can afford a hike in the cost to go to Disney. It would affect the number of people who go to the parks… so less demand, means they need less employees. So people get laid off. I am trying to understand what their upside is here. I don’t see it…

Amen, amen, and amen. I like “hanging out” with like minded people. :mickey:

Do guests have to walk through the picket lines to get to the parks or are they staying away from the customers?

Can longtime employees apply for other jobs within the company that have higher pay?

My guess is that if they were protesting on Disney property they’d be told to leave or be arrested for trespassing.

We all like to think of Disney as a magical place. But the reality is that Disney is a business, and the goal of business is to make money. Providing jobs is a side benefit that comes with making money. What Disney does do is provide entry level jobs and work experience to many people. It also provides part time retirement jobs to many that allows them to live a better life.

If they think Disney is bad they should quit and find other jobs.

We lost thousands of high paying jobs making Ford F150 trucks here locally - starting pay was over $25 per hour and the average was MUCH higher. They thought they weren’t paid enough, based on advice from their union. Now they are out of work and they aren’t making anywhere near that now.

Poverty level in our country is a high def television, a car, food, and a place to live. I can think of a lot of people who would love to live in our poverty.

I’m sure many of you are wondering about me and several others working for the mouse on this forum. If you wish to message me, I’ll answer questions, but I will not post my opinions and thoughts publicly.

I agree with a lot of points here and I am not sure about this particular case, but people seem to just assume that because people are picketing, they just want more money. In reality, a lot of times employees picket because of benefit increases or privledges taken away (ie sick time, overtime etc…). So until I hear exactly why they are protesting, I won’t form an opinion and it’s sad to see everyone else doing that. We have some great cast members here who deserve our respect!

i will say one thing that seems to be a truth in life, “you get what you pay for!”

if disney starts bargin shopping employees, you will see it in quality. a well paid employee is a happy employee, but… these are some hard times right now and everyone seems to be tightening up…