Universal Orlando raises ticket prices, matches Walt Disney World

Hmmmmm not sure how smart this is, since most people go to Universal when they feel Disney is too much $$ :ph34r:

In a sign of optimism about Florida tourism, Universal Orlando on Monday matched Walt Disney World by raising its daily admission 3.7 percent to $85 and escalating multiday pass prices by bigger margins.

Universal held firm on its one-day $73.99 price (excluding taxes and fees) for Florida residents, and $66.99 for their kids ages 3 through 9. But those discount prices are only sold online. Multiday pass prices rose 8.8 to 11.4 percent, while annual pass prices were left unchanged.

Read more here:

Interesting…$85 a day…amazing!

I’m sure it’s because of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. People who wouldn’t usually go to Universal are now pouring in, so I guess they figure now’s the time to raise the prices.

Harry Potter World effect. Their attendance numbers have skyrocketed over the past year and they feel HPW will continue to be a draw that will get people past the ticket price.

I do think that they are being smart by plowing money back into the IA and US to update, change, and add some new rides. That will help once the HPW magic wears off (remember when they bet on Shrek being the new Mickey Mouse…now it is Harry Potter).

Anyway prices are going up.

The other shoe falls…

I think that Universal is very overpriced for what is offered there. I was there 2 years ago and we managed to get through both US and IOA in one day using the Express Pass (insanely overpriced!!). That was my first time back since 1999. If it wasn’t for The Wizarding Worlds of Harry Potter, I wouldn’t even consider taking a day out of our disney schedule to check it out this year. I’m a huge Harry Potter fan, so this is a big draw for me, no matter the price.

Understandable that the prices must go up though, it was to be expected.

Wow. The term rip-off went through my head. We have no intention of going. Harry makes for good comedy but no one here has any inkling to go to his park. Thank goodness. Disney just turns into a better value all the time.

Wow… WDW now officially offers more bang for the buck for a one-day pass! For $85 at WDW, you can use FastPass for free, bring in your own food and drinks, and carry your bags on all attractions.

For $85 at Universal, you can purchase an Express Pass starting at $20, not bring any food or drink into the park, and rent a locker whenever you go on a rollercoaster (in all fairness, I believe it’s free for the first hour).

Universal is good, but doesn’t compare at all. Plus you have to pay for their Express Pass. It’s amazing that everyone else doesn’t just try to take more of what they can from Disney.

So glad we went before the price increase. We enjoyed WWoHP, but have talked extensively how better it could be if Disney had taken it on.

I am not, and probably never will be a Harry Potter fan. I went to Universal about 15 years ago and did not find it at all to ever want to return. I am and always will be a WDW fan. Nothing can compare to the service you get there.

Personally, I enjoy Universal/IOA. I don’t compare them to Disney; they stand alone on their own merits and they have some fantastic attractions. You can’t beat Spiderman, Men in Black and Harry Potter stands on its own. I always wonder if I’m in the same park as others who criticize it. I’ve heard peope say it’s “dirty”, the employees are “rude”, etc., but we’ve never run across any of this. I don’t know why so many feel that if you’re Disney fans, you can’t enjoy any other kind of amusement park. I like Sea World and Busch Gardens too.

I love Disney, but sometimes I need a little break from being “Disney’d” 24/7. Universal isn’t “magical”, but it’s no slouch in fun.

I enjoy Sea World. I just did not Universal at all. It is not completly horrible but just does not interest me. We have a theme park about 80 miles north of us and I am not thrilled with it either. It either intrests me or it does not. Like I said, we have been to Sea World and did have fun there.

[QUOTE=llama;1083047]Personally, I enjoy Universal/IOA. I don’t compare them to Disney; they stand alone on their own merits and they have some fantastic attractions. You can’t beat Spiderman, Men in Black and Harry Potter stands on its own. I always wonder if I’m in the same park as others who criticize it. I’ve heard peope say it’s “dirty”, the employees are “rude”, etc., but we’ve never run across any of this. I don’t know why so many feel that if you’re Disney fans, you can’t enjoy any other kind of amusement park. I like Sea World and Busch Gardens too.

I love Disney, but sometimes I need a little break from being “Disney’d” 24/7. Universal isn’t “magical”, but it’s no slouch in fun.[/QUOTE]

I agree that the two can’t be compared. I enjoy US/IOA very much for what they are. The attractions are so different than the ones at WDW that I don’t even see how they can be compared. The Mummy and Spiderman are my absolute favourites! And when we go this year I’m sure the whole Wizarding World of Harry Potter will be up there on my list!

Our family are big Universal fans too. I agree with llama that liking Uni does not make you disloyal to Disney. They both have a lot to offer. And I’m sure the price increase was done in anticipation of the release of the new HP film. No doubt they will tie it into the park somehow and the attendance will climb.

I enjoy the Universal parks, too. But I think now that Universal has increased its one-day ticket price, Disney is the better value for a one-day visit. However, Universal’s multi-day tickets and two-park tickets are much more affordable than Disney. However, staying onsite at Universal can be more expensive than staying onsite at WDW because they only offer one category of hotels, comparable to Disney’s deluxe.

I think Universal does a great job matching/competing with Disney in overall theming. The latest additions to Uni/IOA have been very well-themed and Disney-like. In fact, I think that Universal is the only park that competes with Disney in overall theming. I’d definitely visit Universal, again - I just believe that the one-day park ticket increase is a little ridiculous when you consider that they are competing with Disney for tourists.