Up to $45 for a CARRY-ON?

I just read a story that Spirit Air is going to charge for checked AND carry-on bags. They will allow one carry-on that fits under the seat but the upper ones will cost you! Apparently, they will lower the price of [I]most[/I] of the tickets to absorb part of the cost. (So why make it a cost anyway then?)
All of the other airlines are reportedly paying attention to see if customers will pay the extra cost.

This is crazy! I am going to just carry my bag on my lap or something. I only pack carry-on so that I don’t have to pay a fee. I can’t get a weeks worth in a bag under the seat. :angry:

Was just hearing about this… this is STUPID. They need to charge what they need to charge and stop with all the picky little fees.

I don’t fly anywhere but I do think this is outragous for the ones that do.

Amen to that.

This is ridiculous! I hope it doesn’t spread to other airlines.

We flew AirTran last week and they charge for each checked bag. $15 for the 1st (under 50lbs), then 50 for each add’l bag. The airlines are getting waaayyyy out of control. But there is a demand for flying, so I am sure the additional airlines will follow suit if enough people pay the carry-on fee

[QUOTE=zoey9797;1027389]I just read a story that Spirit Air is going to charge for checked AND carry-on bags. They will allow one carry-on that fits under the seat but the upper ones will cost you! Apparently, they will lower the price of most of the tickets to absorb part of the cost. (So why make it a cost anyway then?)
All of the other airlines are reportedly paying attention to see if customers will pay the extra cost.

This is crazy! I am going to just carry my bag on my lap or something. I only pack carry-on so that I don’t have to pay a fee. I can’t get a weeks worth in a bag under the seat. :angry:[/QUOTE]

You just hit it right there. Yes some of it is a $ thing, as with all businesses. Apparently one of the greviences the flight attendants are having is the safety concerns of the overhead carryons as of recent. For some it’s gotten out of control. The once upon a time idea of allowing passengers to carry a few necessities on board has turned to many packing thier whole vacate in the compartment above to avoid the hassle of checking luggage and/or paying fees that now apply. During turbulance some pop open and out comes the heavy bags on your heads. Yes folks, this is a real complaint.

Years ago we were visiting the states for a month when DD15 was 11months. I had a bag with nothing but baby stuff, enough so that if we got stranded which was very likely on military hops, that she’d be taken care of. We figured we’d just deal. Her bag was turned away because it wouldn’t fit in the " wooden box" of appropriate deminisions. It was a lg Diaper Bag, but still a no-go unless I checked it or took several items out. Needless to say I hated throwing away perfectly good diapers:mad:

That’s why we fly Southwest! Bags fly for free “DING”!

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1027414][/I][/B]

For some it’s gotten out of control. The once upon a time idea of allowing passengers to carry a few necessities on board has turned to many packing their whole vacate in the compartment above to avoid the hassle of checking luggage and/or paying fees that now apply. [/QUOTE]

The Continental Flight we were in on our way back from Disney this past month had that issue… half way passengers loading on to the plane, they announced that the overhead luggage room had almost reached capacity :ohmy:… and half the plane was not even on the plane…:eek:
So they allowed us to check in any luggage we wanted to at the gate at no additional charge…:blush:

worked out ok with, us… checked all 3 of our carry-on luggage for free…:laugh:

I always fly Spirit. We take one small carry-on between the two of us; it will easily fit under the seat. I can’t tell you the number of times I have had someone drop their “carry-on” bag on me as they try to heft the overweight, overstuffed bag into the overhead bin. In January, the overhead bins were filled to capacity before boarding was complete; they had even offered free gate checking because the plane was full…I didn’t feel the least bit sorry for those who had to cramp themselves to accomodate their bags.
Carry-on bags were never intended to be a whole week’s worth of packing. This has been abused far too long, and I am glad something’s being done to alleviate the problem. Yeah, yeah…the airlines could enforce their own rules as to carry-on size, etc., but what about personal accountability? We are each responsible for ourselves…and for following rules that are in place. A carry-on may be the correct size when packing is started, but I have seen many so stuffed that they far exceed the regulations.

About the wooden box I spoke of in an earlier post… Our terminal had one built to the exact dimensions allowed and if it wouldn’t fit into the box then it wasn’t allowed, which prohibits the overstuffing.
I will say it’s not only the fault of passengers but also company’s that make/sell luggage. Have you seen some of the pieces that have been advertised as a carry-on these past few years! Sorry, but some of those are not and should never be labeled as such. But I guess that’s where common sense of the purchaser should come into play:huh:

[QUOTE=M5ward;1027419]I always fly Spirit. We take one small carry-on between the two of us; it will easily fit under the seat. I can’t tell you the number of times I have had someone drop their “carry-on” bag on me as they try to heft the overweight, overstuffed bag into the overhead bin. In January, the overhead bins were filled to capacity before boarding was complete; they had even offered free gate checking because the plane was full…I didn’t feel the least bit sorry for those who had to cramp themselves to accomodate their bags.
Carry-on bags were never intended to be a whole week’s worth of packing. This has been abused far too long, and I am glad something’s being done to alleviate the problem. Yeah, yeah…the airlines could enforce their own rules as to carry-on size, etc., but what about personal accountability? We are each responsible for ourselves…and for following rules that are in place. A carry-on may be the correct size when packing is started, but I have seen many so stuffed that they far exceed the regulations.[/QUOTE]

I fully agree with you. It’s ridiculous what people are carrying onto planes. My carry on bag always fits under my seat. I think it’s sad that airlines are having to resort to this to keep people from carrying on too much. But I don’t think there would be this much of a problem if airlines hadn’t started charging for checked luggage in the first place. It’s just one more way for them to make money and that’s what makes me so mad. :mad:

One of the reasons I have an Owner’s Locker for my trips to WDW… it allows us to travel super-light.

It would not have been a problem if the airlines were charging for checked bags, but it is also crazy that people try and stuff a week worth of clothes into carryons.

[QUOTE=zoey9797;1027389]I just read a story that Spirit Air is going to charge for checked AND carry-on bags. They will allow one carry-on that fits under the seat but the upper ones will cost you! Apparently, they will lower the price of most of the tickets to absorb part of the cost. (So why make it a cost anyway then?)

This is crazy! I am going to just carry my bag on my lap or something. I only pack carry-on so that I don’t have to pay a fee. I can’t get a weeks worth in a bag under the seat. :angry:[/QUOTE]

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I just paid a small fortune for two bags both ways for me and my DD…now they are going to charge for a carry on?? This is ridiculous~!

Ok, let me ask this. We take one rolling carry on for the whole family, it has a couple of changes of clothes for everyone just in case the checked bags don’t make it. We also have my ll Bean personal organizer (bathroom stuff) and a backpack. Is this too much? According to the website we each could have a rolling suitcase and a personal bag like a backpack or purse so we’re way under that but are we still packing too much with us?

There’s no way I would try to pack everyone in carry on luggage, we would each have to have a rolling carry on and a backpack or some other type of bag, no way would I want to travel like that.

Ditto! The add-on fees annoy me SO much! It’s just a way of muddying the waters. No clear comparison on flights anymore with all the different add-on fees from one airline to another. They’d better be careful or they’re going to end up with their pricing regulated if they can’t stop jerking us all around like this.

You hit the nail on the head, there. If they hadn’t started charging for checked bags, carry ons would not be an issue.

We too now fly with an airline that doesn’t charge for checked bags. We used to travel to a large airport further from home because we always got great flight prices. However, once the fees started for bags/food etc, we started to fly from our local airport. The flight is more expensive, but we save the money of gas/parking/baggage fees etc.,so it works out to practically the same price, and we only have a 15min drive from home.

I too agree that carry-ons would not be charged if it weren’t for people trying to save money and pack a week’s items into a carry-on. We have been on flights delayed because the airline staff have had to spend so much time finding room and sqeezing on carry-on bags into over-head compartments.

how do you take advantage of tyhe customer 101…do this …they fly specific markets,but the reason given by their CEO is unbelievable…to quicken the boarding process and the exiting the plane …what they found out was people adjusted and started to carry their luggage on board …and they said wait a minute I still want that money…so they did this…the way to answer this is for all that fly SPIRIT to just stop booking on them and trust me they will see the drop off…but like I said they fly to specific caribean and latin america sights,so they just might be taking advantage of the lack of others servicing the same routes