Update on Kona sushi bar and TIW

To recap, we had dinner @ the Kona Cafe Sushi bar.
We were told that the TIW card is not accepted there.
It caused confusion as both the sushi chefs and the Guest Services desk didn’t understand that.
I sent a letter to both Disney Guest Services (DGS) and TIW
Heard from DGS who took my information, evaluated it and basically referred me to TIW.
TIW lady said that the Kona Cafe sushi bar is basically an enigma. It’s two different style restaurants at various times of the day. Guess it’s a coffee bar in the am and a sit down sushi bar in the evening. Disney/TIW doesn’t know what to really do since TIW is for sit down restaurants. She refunded my TIW discount and said THEY need to work on it and come to a permanent conclusion.

I don’t know but to me, it can be a non-TIW in the am and a TIW restaurant in the evening. It does totally close down from the am to the pm restaurant.
Seems easy enough. Anyway… that’s that.
Somehow, I would think that if you went today, they may NOT take it. “Tomorrow” may be another story though.
Frank

Thanks for the follow-up Frank. I guess we should advise people to ask before they order for now.

>> guess we should advise people to ask before they order for now.<<

TIW Cast member admittedly was a bit confused. She said that THEY had to come to a decision whether to take or not take TIW at the Sushi bar.
I mentioned to her that I was told by Poly Guest Services that the bill came out of the Kona Cafe which does take TIW.
I think they don’t want to confuse guests who are there in the am and pm. That I guess would be a dilemma… the old, they took it last nite, why not this morning for coffee.
Frank

I don’t know -

wait for it …

something smells fishy…

Glad to hear you received a crefit or refund.
This caught me by suprise since our TiW was accepted this past March on our Monorail Pub Crawl. We also go to the Poly for cocktails and sushi and watch the fireworks from Sunset Point. Hope they work it out in favor of TiW acceptance.

Monorail pub crawl!!! OMG! Fun idea. Give me details.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1051315]Glad to hear you received a crefit or refund.
This caught me by suprise since our TiW was accepted this past March on our Monorail Pub Crawl. We also go to the Poly for cocktails and sushi and watch the fireworks from Sunset Point. Hope they work it out in favor of TiW acceptance.[/QUOTE]

Did you watch from Sunset Point on my recommendation, or did you take the initiative all on your own?
Did you make sure to frame the castle between the two tall palm trees?

[QUOTE=fjs08;1051302]
Somehow, I would think that if you went today, they may NOT take it. “Tomorrow” may be another story though.
Frank[/QUOTE]

It has been my lifelong experience that “tomorrow” never comes.:cool:

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1051350]Did you watch from Sunset Point on my recommendation, or did you take the initiative all on your own?
Did you make sure to frame the castle between the two tall palm trees?[/QUOTE]

Yup, Sunset Point it was. DF and DM used to take us there every year we would visit growing up. We stayed at the Contemporary, but Poly is a much better view.

It is also the same spot DW and I renewed our vows in 2005. For all of the great shots I have of the fireworks from that location, the ones with the sun coming up and hitting the Castle during the renewal ceremony are even better.

Now, now SG… Happy Thoughts.

Rich, of course the Poly is a better view than the Contemporary (or GF), Sunset Point is dead on axis and the beach isn’t too far off axis.

Are you kidding me? We both renewed our vows at Sunset Point in 2005?
I bet you didn’t set yours up as a surprise like I did.
Too bad that because Wilma was due that day, none of our guests were willing to leave South Florida to be with us. Double too bad that it rained all day from about 11:30 on that day (with a couple breaks).

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1051404]Are you kidding me? We both renewed our vows at Sunset Point in 2005?
I bet you didn’t set yours up as a surprise like I did.[/QUOTE]

OK, major thread jack here:
It started as a surprise. When the Wedding Planner’s asst. called Monday eve before we left the cat was out of the bag. The hardest part was that I planned this as a trip for just the 2 of us. Now DW was upset that the 3 kids were staying in SC and I had this planned this without them being there. See, we were married in England when I was stationed overseas. We never had a formal family wedding many years ago. The kids were now 18, 14 and 11. Can you say dog house? I was now living in it.
We left Wed AM and arrived at CR by 1, checked in, hit the parks and had wonderful dinners Wed and Thurs. We had the renewal scheduled for Sat and left Mon AM.
Now, the rest of the story. What DW did not know all along was that the kids were leaving SC Fri AM and were to arrive at CR (room reserved for them in the S Garden Wing) no later than 1PM. Well no super secret code call from them that they arrived was received by 2PM. That day we hit AK, went back to CR and when we got to the room DW wondered if there were LaNuba tix available for that night. This was a great opportunity to escape and track down the kids. I told DW that I was going to the concierge desk downstairs to check. Tix were available and I bought them. I went back to the room after again checking to make sure the kids room was in the S Garden Wing and put their park tix in the arrival package. With that confirmed I went back to the room. As I walked into the room a call came in. The kids had PASSED the main entrance. Youngest was out voted on the turn around argument when our oldest DD drove right by, supported by DS. See, this was only months after they changed all of the exit numbers on I-4. Oldest DD was looking at an older map and drove 30 miles towards Tampa before youngest DD won her fight. I had written down the new exit numbers but that paper was left in SC.
The kid’s arrival was announced with a text msg around 4 PM. One problem. They were put in the N Garden wing. “Oh heck”, we were in the NGW. We were on the first floor, woods view. They were on the second floor, woods view, 6 rooms over. Told them to “hide out and hit MK or AK as we had been to those parks the days before. They could also go to DTD AFTER 9PM. We were doing dinner at Bongo’s or WP before La Nuba.”
Well, we went to dinner, then LaNuba. Afterwards we went to the CR bus stop and stood in line to have cocktails back at CR. Just as we got to one side of the bus stop youngest DD and DS came around the other corner of the bus stop. It was 8:30 PM. I immediately turned DW around and gave her a kiss to divert her attention. DD yanked DS off his feet and they ran away. Apparently DS bought a new CD and wanted to go back to the room. Instead of driving they took WDW trans. Almost got busted again. I can still see their faces when they saw me. Sheer terror. They were sure dad would say something later. The rest of the night went fine but my kid lookout search radar was now at full alert.
Sat morning we got up, had room service bkfst and went to the Poly to meet the Wedding Planner and Chaplin. The planner told DW to stay with his asst in the lobby and he would bring the Chaplin and me out. He went back to get DW and his asst. When DW came out on the golf cart and rounded the bend to Sunset Point she absolutely freaked out. From back by one of the long houses, everyone within 100+ feet heard DW scream “My babies are here.” I am now the man again. Then she saw her BFF and BFF DD and let out another yell.
We had a wonderful ceremony and then hit the parks after too much cake and champagne at 10:00 AM. One other side note. As we were on the monorail from CR to Poly DW saw people out on Sunset Point. If she had her glasses on she would have realized it was the kids. I quickly diverted her attention to the WL where we were staying on our next trip. I wondered what else could be thrown at me to spoil my plans.

Was this surprise enough? I know I could have used a valium when I saw the kids on SP that morning. I was so close to pulling it off. I was going to add a picture or 3 but the system says they are already uploaded somewhere else and will not let me do it again. Don’t kow why.

Can you order sushi while eating AT the Kona Cafe???
Guess the easiest thing to do if you can would be to get a table inside the Kona Cafe since they take the TIW card.

Frank

How to be fair to Frank and keep our side conversation going?

To answer your last question Frank, from the way I’m reading the All Ears menu, I’d say no.
I’d ask you to wait until Oct 22 for a better answer. We’re eating at Kona Cafe on the 21st before the Halloween party so I’ll be able to get the story right from the horses mouth (so to speak). If I’m awake enough, I’ll log on and post an answer in this thread. If not, it will be some time on the 22nd when I’ll post.

Rich, my renewal tale is probably all over these forums. I saw a thread in early 05 about vow renewals and I got a bug up my butt to pull off a surprise vow renewal. I already knew we’d be staying at the Poly that year and I slowly pulled it together. As a cover for why I needed my tux and DW needed to have a (new) cocktail dress I lied and said we were having our anniversary dinner at V&A (we didn’t, it was at California Grill). The morning of, we had breakfast at Chef Mickey’s and over breakfast I dropped the bomb that at 11 we were doing a vow renewal. The weather sucked and we had no guests. Our coordinator offered us the option to reschedule, but why? That day was our anniversary and to schedule another time would only cost more because we’d need to come back up, etc.