Upgrades coming to FW campground

For all you Fort Wilderness fans:

Disney upgrades Fort Wilderness Campground

Roughing it is not what it used to be, especially at Walt Disney World’s Fort Wilderness Campground.

Disney is quietly undertaking its broadest campground-improvements program in two decades, adding extra-extra-large camper pads for recreational vehicles, cable-TV and Internet service throughout, Segway scooter tours, a mini-water park, a dog park, and an improved electric-cart rental operation.

The program also is taking aim at invasive plant species such as potato vines, replacing such vegetation with fresh native plantings.

“The fort is a treasure at Walt Disney World. There really is so much history with the success of Walt Disney World that stems back to Fort Wilderness,” said Jean Gallagher, general manager of both Disney’s Wilderness Lodge and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort Campground. “And because of the nature of this property, and the theming, we really haven’t done a lot of changes. … We have not made a lot of investment from a site perspective in the 37 years we’ve been open. So this opportunity to meet what our guests are asking for, and how the industry has changed, this is more than we could expect.”

more

This is exciting! I’d love to be able to stay there again someday. Daniel may have never stayed there but to me this IS my home in WDW.

Thanks for the link to the article. I love FW and hope they don’t change it TOO much. One of the best things about FW is the peaceful atmosphere and the sense of being in “another place”…pity they don’t look into resurrecting River Country again though!

Has anyone else heard the rumor that the cabins at FW are going to be pried out as a moderate soon?

YAY! I posted some of this back in the winter. I have a “man on the inside” who helps us out when we stay there. I saw him this winter and he told me about a lot of the improvements they were planning. The larger site are fantastic and I can wait for the new themed water play area. Thanks for the link and info Tigger.

I’m not sure if this was already mentioned somewhere, but I just read about it today.

Disney upgrades Fort Wilderness Campground – OrlandoSentinel.com

So, if you thought you could escape technology at the campground, think again!!! :laugh:

Very interesting Thanks for shareing.

I thought I had seen it all when satellite dishes starting showing up in campgrounds. Now they are common.

I’m a Civil War reenactor and I’ve seen guys at events go so far as to hide a generator in the woods!

Does anyone know when these are supposed to be started/finished?

CRABBY ALERT:

I am not proud that I have issues with FW. It is because I hated to go camping as a child, but my parents forced us to camp out pretty often. I hated everything that went with a camping trip – my sleeping bag, the tent, burned food, dirt in the cooler, bugs, no plumbing, and worst of all… trying to go to sleep at 8 p.m. because there was nothing to do at night. I know FW is NOT like that… but the theming has always intimidated me. :frown:

I have always been a little sad to miss out on a whole new adventure at WDW, but with all this new glossy stuff happening, I feel like I could give it a try! :happy:

And now, back to your regularly scheduled program… :laugh:

[QUOTE=Big Al;872598]
I’m a Civil War reenactor and I’ve seen guys at events go so far as to hide a generator in the woods![/QUOTE]

That is so cool! DH and I are big Civil War buffs.

I have always wanted to camp at WDW, this makes it even more enticing. I am sure DW will continue to unimpressed with the idea of camping, though.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;872727]CRABBY ALERT:

I am not proud that I have issues with FW. It is because I hated to go camping as a child, but my parents forced us to camp out pretty often. I hated everything that went with a camping trip – my sleeping bag, the tent, burned food, dirt in the cooler, bugs, no plumbing, and worst of all… trying to go to sleep at 8 p.m. because there was nothing to do at night. I know FW is NOT like that… but the theming has always intimidated me. :frown:

I have always been a little sad to miss out on a whole new adventure at WDW, but with all this new glossy stuff happening, I feel like I could give it a try! :happy:

And now, back to your regularly scheduled program… :laugh:[/QUOTE]

I could have written your post (all but the part about being sad and wanting to try FW). I hate everything about camping and have my whole life. My parents loved to camp but I hated every minute if it. Going to the Hoop Dee Doo is as close to camping as I’ll ever get again in my life.

That just cracked me up! :laugh:

I’ve been camping a few times…thought it was OK. All except for the bugs…DH got so many mosquito bites it was unreal!

As the kids get older, I’m sure we’d try a weekend camping trip one day. As for camping at WDW, there is NO WAY I’d spend a vacation at WDW in a tent. In a cabin? TOTALLY different story! Sounds like all these changes will really improve the appeal!

[QUOTE=Big Al;872598]I thought I had seen it all when satellite dishes starting showing up in campgrounds. Now they are common.

I’m a Civil War reenactor and I’ve seen guys at events go so far as to hide a generator in the woods![/QUOTE]

Maybe they brought for the pre war tailgate?

Camping is not my idea of fun either. When ds is older we will definitely try it. But not at DW. That will not happen. The cabins seem like a good idea. Can’t wait to hear the reviews!

For all you non camping lovers out there…

I will never sleep in a tent, not even at Disney. My husband convinced me 2 years ago to buy a travel trailer camper. My SIL (who always tent camped at FW and still does) always told me that Fort Wilderness is 5 star camping and she is right. It took me a year of quick trips camping at Disney before I would even step foot into a campground anywhere but Disney. There is a huge difference!! Nothing compares to Disney when it comes to camping. When we camp at Disney, it is just like being at home. Would I rather stay at the Grand Floridian? NO! I have and loved it, but there is just something so special about being at FW. It is peaceful and everyone is friendly. There is so much to do and see and it is so relaxing. And, if you get a little tired of the “wilderness” just hop the boat to Magic Kingdom. There is nothing better. Try it, I am sure you would love it!

I am totally NOT a camper (I have my parents to blame for that, they never had any interest. Their philosophy was “why camp when we can stay at a nice hotel?”).

But I think these new changes might make me interested in trying it. I might go for like a 2 night camp-out - and then go check into one of the resorts! lol

Camping at FW is an amazing experiance. We’ve been several times and wouldn’t do it any other way. We have two DDs 5 & 15 and they love it too. We have a pop-up so I don’t know if I’d suggest trying it in a tent, but if you rented or borrowed a camper or got a cabin I guarantee you’ll enjoy it.

I hated camping too, but if you give me hot water and a temperature controlled climate, I’m game. I might have to look into this.