Upgrading park tickets- help needed please

We will have MYW tickets in August in order for us to have the DDP. Here in the UK, there is a UK exclusive 21 days ticket, which admits us into all Disney’s parks incl water parks and is very good value.
However, we usually always have AP’s, and we have been told we can trade our MYW tickets for APs and get the APs at a reduced rate as the MYW ticket price will be taken off. This option financially would work out the best for us- even better than the UK exclusive- but my question is, has anyone ever traded up or upgraded park tickets to APs? The thing is, the UK exclusive can only be purchased here, so I have to know before we go. I e-mailed Disney but their answer was very vague- they just said bring the MYW ticket and a CM would be happy to advise- please help anyone?

I didn’t realise it was such a tough question- either that or no one out of the 47 who viewed wants to help-oh well hint taken.

Dixie, not too familiar with the UK exclusive, but I’m thinking if you want a straight answer from Disney, maybe call your resort directly and speak with a guest services cm there, seeing they have probably processed a similar transaction in the past. I would imagine they would know if it can be done and the exact process.

I am not familiar with the UK ticketing, but a regular MYW ticket can be upgraded to an annual pass with no problems!

Thanks Beth, its more the upgrade I wanted to know about-I thought I must have upset members when no one responded:crying: so thanks:heart:

Oh thanks JohnKimv- thats just what I needed to know- I didnt want to miss the UK deal and get all the way to the US and not be able to upgrade, thanks for your help it is much appreciated.

I don’t think you upset anyone, or that no one wanted to help… I think we just didn’t know if the rules are different for a ticket that’s a UK exclusive.

I think I maybe didn’t explain it correctly? In a nutshell I just wanted to know if I can trade a MYW ticket for an AP-because if not, I can buy a UK exclusive here before I go to America.

[QUOTE=bethishooked;1034771]Dixie, not too familiar with the UK exclusive, but I’m thinking if you want a straight answer from Disney, maybe call your resort directly and speak with a guest services cm there, seeing they have probably processed a similar transaction in the past. I would imagine they would know if it can be done and the exact process.[/QUOTE]The problem is, you won’t be able to call the resort directly. WHen you call the main “resort” number you are connected to “Main Switchboard” (a call center), but the cast member will answer the phone as if he/she is at the front desk of the resort you tried to call (the name shows up on their computer screen).

The CMs at Main Switchboard are trained to be gate-keepers, to not put a call through to a resort that they think they can handle themselves. Almost all call center CMs will feel capable of handling a ticket question because they are trained to sell tickets. Unfortunately, they are not trained in the intricasies of how the ticketing system works. They are NOT good sources of information, unfortunately.

The OP already got the answer to her question, that a MYW ticket can be upgraded to an AP. You must do the upgrade at a ticket window, not at your resort. NO resort can handle anything related to APs.

I have been able to use an unsused MYW ticket’s value toward the purchase of an AP.

Have you priced out the difference of using a room discount + the UK special ticket vs the full rack rate you pay for free dining?

And just to clarify (not that anyone asked), you can upgrade a MYW ticket to an AP whether it’s never-been-used or partially-used (or all used up, for that matter), as long as it’s been no more than 14 days since the first use of that ticket. It will have EXACTLY the same value towards an AP whether it’s unused, partially used or totally used up.

If you upgrade a used ticket to an AP, the AP’s activation date will be the first day the original ticket was used, NOT the day you actually did the upgrade.

I don’t know anything about the UK deal, but when I went down with my friend, she did get her MYW passes changed into an AP ticket. It was really quick and easy. We literally went to the Customer Service gates outside of the MK and she just explained to them that she wanted to upgrade, she handed in her MYW passes that she received (they got their tickets separate for their room, so it wasn’t on the card.), showed ID, the CM did his little computer thingy and about 10 minutes later we walked away with her new AP’s tickets!

I’m not positive exactly what the process would be if you changed it any other way. And I’m not sure if the resorts can do it for you. I would imagine they could. But when we called before we left they did tell us to go to the customer service at MK. So I’m not sure.

I hope this helps!

Worst come to worst, I’d call disney! :happy:

Thanks all your help on this was invaluable. Much appreciated.

[QUOTE=StaceyDarling!;1035649] And I’m not sure if the resorts can do it for you. I would imagine they could. But when we called before we left they did tell us to go to the customer service at MK. So I’m not sure.
[/QUOTE]
I’m 100% sure that resorts can’t handle anything related to Annual Passes. They can handle any sales and upgrades of MYW tickets, but their computers are not equipped to handle any transactions involving anyhting related to APs.

To handle APs, you need to go to the ticket booths at the theme parks, the ticket booths at the water parks (yes, even a water park ticket booth can handle a NON-water park Annual Pass transaction), Guest Relations at Downtown Disney, and the ticket booths at the Transportation & Ticket Center.

But I’m completely certain that a resort can’t upgrade tickets to APs or sell APs, etc.

what is the cost difference

What is the cost difference between what and what?

myw and the ap

[QUOTE=jbjags;1035673]myw and the ap[/QUOTE]A Magic Your Way ticket can be of any length and have whatever options you want.

A 10-day MYW park hopper costs $295. An Annual Pass costs $489.

If you need 11 days of park hoppers, it’s cheaper to buy a 10-day ticket for $295 and then a 1-day ticket for $131 ($295 + $131 = $426).

But if you need 12 days of park hoppers, it’s cheaper to buy the $489 AP than it is to buy a 10-day ticket for $295 and a 2-day ticket for $208 ($295 + $208 = $503).

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;1035651]I’m 100% sure that resorts can’t handle anything related to Annual Passes. They can handle any sales and upgrades of MYW tickets, but their computers are not equipped to handle any transactions involving anyhting related to APs.

To handle APs, you need to go to the ticket booths at the theme parks, the ticket booths at the water parks (yes, even a water park ticket booth can handle a NON-water park Annual Pass transaction), Guest Relations at Downtown Disney, and the ticket booths at the Transportation & Ticket Center.

But I’m completely certain that a resort can’t upgrade tickets to APs or sell APs, etc.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I kinda figured that since the CM on the phone told us go to MK to do it! haha. Thanks for clearing it up!