Urgent breaking news- all wdw buses out of service!

I just heard a billboard for this story on one of the Miami stations.

Package Under Disney World Bus Not Explosive
Bus Service Was Suspended Throughout Resort

Package Under Disney World Bus Not Explosive - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – The Orange County Sheriff’s Office bomb squad checked out a suspicious package under a Disney World bus on Thursday, which led the resort to shut down its vast transportation system.

Shortly before 7 p.m., deputies said the device was not an explosive or hazardous object. They did not say what it was, and the investigation is continuing.

The resort has suspended bus service as a precaution and was checking hundreds of its business, a Disney spokeswoman said at 5:30 p.m. At 8 p.m., Disney said all the buses were running again.

A worker doing maintenance on the bus noticed the suspicious object about 3 p.m. and alerted authorities, the Sheriff’s Office said.

The bomb squad and a hazardous material team came to the maintenance facility in a back-stage area. The closest resort is Disney’s Animal Kingdom, but the facility is far from places where guests visit.

Hours at the Animal Kingdom were extended to 7 p.m., since guests who rely on buses can’t get transportation. A guest at Epcot called WESH 2 to say an announcement was made over loudspeakers telling guests that they were experiencing backups with bus service, but did not mention a bomb scare.

The view from Chopper 2 shows emergency vehicles around a large building. A member of the bomb squad went into the building and later the squads robot brought an object to a field near the facility

Dozens of buses were lined up near another Disney work facility to be inspected.

I can’t imagine the kind of problems that this created!
No buses at all for 2 and a half hours?!!

It looks like the crisis has passed, but can you just imagine all the dinner reservations going down the drain, all the cranky kids and adults, and the general frustration and worry?

Everything would be such a mess without the buses! I can’t imagine the frustration and anger this had to have caused.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;993438]

It looks like the crisis has passed, but can you just imagine all the dinner reservations going down the drain, all the cranky kids and adults, and the general frustration and worry?[/QUOTE]

I was working in Guest Relations at Magic Kingdom tonight while the busses were down.
As always Safety is our number one priority. The busses were down for a period. Anyone who missed a reservation was able to get into the restaurant later. Overall at the MK it was pretty peaceful. People seemed to be understanding.

we’re here now. we were waiting to leave hollywood studios and got picked up by a van. it was really nice actually. the guy driving said they had a problem with bus service. we heard a security guard’s walkie talkie and that’s how we heard about the bomb scare. there was a bunch of people walking around by the bus area with headsets. one lady walked up and said our bus would be there shortly. we didn’t think anything of it until our bus was a luxury van. and it actually took less time than it did to get a bus to the AKL last night (40 minutes)!

We’re all OK. Thanks everyone for your concern. Everything’s running again smoothly.

Matt, I hate to admit this, but I didn’t give that much thought to the in park CMs.
My thinking was, this is transport related and most affected would be guests trying to get back and forth and the hundreds of bus drivers (and tangentially all drivers on WDW roads in case the scare was real).
I’m happy that the storm has passed and life is returning to normal for all.
It sounds like this was addressed about as smoothly as a major problem like this could be addressed. Nice to know that there was some sort of contingency plan to deal with guests that had to be somewhere by some time.
I can only imagine the Chinese fire drill behind the scenes this entailed!

Oooerrr thats awful! Sounds like Disney handed the situation well though as always!

Wow, I can’t imagine something like that happening! I am glad that it all worked out, and glad to hear how swiftly and thoroughly Disney handled it.

What a world we live in.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;993438]I just heard a billboard for this story on one of the Miami stations.

Package Under Disney World Bus Not Explosive
Bus Service Was Suspended Throughout Resort

Package Under Disney World Bus Not Explosive - Orlando News Story - WESH Orlando

It looks like the crisis has passed, but can you just imagine all the dinner reservations going down the drain, all the cranky kids and adults, and the general frustration and worry?[/QUOTE]

never mind 2 hours without Bus service, what a terribly scary thing to have to deal with all around. Disney needs no more tragedies, and neither does anyone else! Thank God this all turned out well!

For the Studios and Animal Kingdom a major headache. For the non-monorail resorts and hotels also a major headache.

Nice that we have gotten some early reports, it will be interesting to read other reports.

I am just seeing this story now and it explains a lot about our last bus ride before leaving WDW yesterday afternoon!

We were on a bus from Downtown Disney back to SSR to catch our 5:00 ME Bus (yes, I know walking would have been faster, my mom was tired of walking after 4 days in the parks, LOL) and I heard some sort of message over the radio that said “Complete your current route until you have dropped off all guests, do not pick up any new guests” and then when we got to SSR and pulled into the stop, the driver let us off but told the people waiting there that he was not continuing to DD.

Also, before we got on the bus at DD, the driver pulled in, kept the doors closed and seemed to do a sweep of the inside of the bus. We thought he was looking for trash but maybe they were all told to take a look for suspicious items?

This was all between 4:00 and 4:45 pm.

Glad we made it back to SSR in time for our ME bus and glad that everything is okay!

I can’t believe you were able to hear that kind of information over a walkie talkie! :eek: Disney is usually very careful about that type of thing; there are numeric and alphabetic codes for EVERY type of situation so that guests don’t get panicked by hearing things over the radio.

I am so glad nothing happened and that Disney was able to handle things so smoothly! I can’t imagine what kind of bedlam this situation could have created in less capable hands.

My parents are actually in WDW right now and I will be meeting them there next week. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say about this. I am glad to hear everything turned out ok, as this could have potentially been really bad.

[QUOTE=dznygrl;993591]I can’t believe you were able to hear that kind of information over a walkie talkie! :eek: Disney is usually very careful about that type of thing; there are numeric and alphabetic codes for EVERY type of situation so that guests don’t get panicked by hearing things over the radio.

I am so glad nothing happened and that Disney was able to handle things so smoothly! I can’t imagine what kind of bedlam this situation could have created in less capable hands.[/QUOTE]

it was about 7:30pm at our resort, my hubby and i happened to hear it as the guy was walking by. we still really didn’t think anything of it until we watched the news later on. i’m sure it was public knowledge by the time we heard it on the walkie talkie