US Airways To Begin Charging $25 For Second Check-in Baggage

From FoxBusiness

U.S. Airways said Tuesday it would begin charging passengers $25 for checking in a second bag. The Tempe, Ariz.-based carrier said the new fee would begin May 5, and would apply to all customers except certain Star Alliance members, first class and Envoy passengers, and all Dividend Miles Preferred members. Earlier this month, United Airlines implemented a similar policy, widely expected to start a new trend in an industry struggling for a way to pay for higher fuel costs. U.S Airways said it would also exempt active military personnel, unaccompanied minors and those checking in assistive devices.

And that would be why we never fly them (well aside from the fact that they do not offer a nonstop flight to orlando from hartford)

I saw this coming when United decided to do this. Luckily, for work I would either be exempt or would get reimbursed. When we travel together we usually have no more than 1 bag per person. As DD gets older that could pose a problem.

I can see this becoming a trend.

I have a feeling most airlines will go this direction!!:pinch: And It may force us to learn to pack lighter!!! Or we will be paying for extra bags!!!:glare:

either that or buying dvc so you can use the washing machine in room…:wub:

This is coming for all airlines. So get used to it. It’s a good move. I have often wondered why I had to pay for everyone else’s luggage.

As most of the meals went away on most flights, so will extra baggage.

Delta allows you three pieces to be checked in, as well as SouthWest.

A lot depends on overhead costs. Union labor…

If I recall, neither Delta nor Southwest are 100% union.

I saw this on their web site last month when I was checking things out for my mother.

Baggage Allowance: Beginning January 29, 2008, Southwest will allow two (2) checked pieces of baggage per ticketed Customer. Size and weight limitations apply.
Excess Baggage: Effective January 29, 2008, you may check a third bag for a charge of $25. Your 4th through 9th bag or item will incur a charge of $50 per piece, and any bag or item thereafter will be $110 per piece.

OMG - I just thought of Dana! What is a packing queen to do?!?!?!

I’m not happy about this. We checked 8 bags for the 6 of us this last trip and believe me, I did not overpack. And with the weight limit of 50lbs, how are you supposed to pack a family of 6 for 10 days in just 6 bags?

Offset fuel costs? I’m so tired of hearing that excuse for EVERYTHING ~ why are the consumers the only ones that have to pay for the higher fuel costs? Everything is passed on to the general public. Heaven forbid the higher costs of fuel should cut into the pockets of these major companies…

rant over…

Our family of four plus two (grandpa and grandma) are making it in 5 bags with one of those being an extra for souvenirs. As far as passing costs on, they are in business not a charity. They do this to make money and they are making relatively little compared to other companies. Again I have no problem with this; in fact, I think it is long overdue. I’ve always looked at is as paying for something I do not use. Now I will not have to do so any longer. They are still allowing those accursed over sized carry ons. :laugh: To each his (or her) own.

I don’t like it either. I try to pack light but we take long trips so we need a lot of stuff. The most we check is 4 bags for a family of 3, I don’t think that too much. It’s crazy.

It’s getting worse I think… :ohmy:

Forcing customers to pay for service previously included with ticket purchases, UAL Corp.'s United Airlines and US Airways Group Inc. will begin charging $50 round-trip for checking a second piece of luggage on May 5, and Southwest Airlines Co. has already implemented a similar fee for checking a third bag. Other airlines may follow, eager to collect hundreds of millions of dollars without raising ticket prices.

Scott McCartney speaks to WSJ’s Gordon Deal about airlines’ new baggage pricing measures and what’s included in a ticket.Airlines are under severe financial pressure from high fuel prices, and their finances may worsen if recession curbs some travel. Carriers have been scrambling for ways to “up-sell” fliers, including selling first-class upgrades, fancy alcoholic drinks and day passes to airport clubs.

But they’ve also been stripping out previously free services and charging customers for anything more than basic transportation – everything from use of skycaps and telephone reservationists to on-board meals and, at a few carriers, assigned seats and exit-row or bulkhead legroom.

Read more here:

The Middle Seat - WSJ.com

Seems as though all the airlines are coming up with these added fees…

Spirit charges for luggage, $5 for the 1st bag $10 for each additional, AirTran charges you $6 each way to pick your seat ($20 for an aisal seat)at the time of booking, etc.

It’s CRAZY I say!!!

So basically we need to start putting our underware and socks in our pants pockets :laugh:

So true! Maybe we should just dress in layers and peel them off once we get to our destination.:laugh:

I just got this e-mail in regards to our trip this summer to NM

According to our records you have flight reservations on Delta Airlines. Delta has informed us that they have changed their baggage fee structure for excess baggage pieces and increased its excess weight charges for domestic and international baggage. These changes have gone into affect immediately, regardless of the date the reservation was made. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Please view the chart below for additional details:

For baggage maximum excess weight-domestic and international, 51-70 pounds, there is an $80 fee each way and for 71-100 pounds, there is a $150 fee each way. For excess baggage-domestic flights, bag 1 and 2 are free, bag 3-5 are $80 each way per bag, bag 6-8 are $110 each way per bag, and bag 9-10 are $180 each way per bag. For excess baggage-international flights, bag 1 and 2 are free, bag 3-5 are $150 each way per bag, bag 6-8 are $300 each way per bag, and bag 9-10 are $600 each way per bag.

Works for me. I like the window. :laugh: Your going to pay more one way or another. I’d just as soon someone else paid it other than me.

Spirit started this last year, so I am not totally shocked to see other airlines doing the same…I see a trend.