US Congress Investigating My Magic Plus+

Chip n Company is reporting that the Congressional Privacy Caucus is concerned with the new My Magic Plus. A letter to Mr. Iger can be read here

wow.
just wow.

[QUOTE=simplytall;1128851]Chip n Company is reporting that the Congressional Privacy Caucus is concerned with the new My Magic Plus. A letter to Mr. Iger can be read here

http://www.chipandco.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Letter-Disney-1-24-13.pdf[/QUOTE]

Wow…that’s a “powerful” letter! I would love to read the response to this…he has raised some good questions…

Somehow I missed the fact that the bands would be optional…I thought that after the trial period…if they go ahead with it…we have no choice.

Thanks for sharing this…

Congress has better things to do than this. There are state and federal agencies that already have oversight on these type stuff already.

My thoughts exactly. Why are they wasting taxpayer time on this?

…still would love to hear the answers on this…there are some excellent questions put forth…

They already know lots about us…so do the credit companies and governments too.

Not at all suprised. Discussed many of these same items 2 weeks ago with our fellow Disney friends who went with us last October.

Honestly, I don’t think the letter is real. Too easy nowdays to cut and paste on line. Something about it just doesn’t seem right.

I went to college with mr markey he is pretty straight shooter.It will be interesting to see what happens and what the answer will be,that being said Disney has much of this info now,when you use your keys to the kingdom,they gather info,when you use your annual pass,they gather info even if you don’t use the key,when you enter a park,use fast pass,when you leave your room and come back,where you eat unless you pay cash,but if you made a reservation it doesn’t matter,what this enables is smaller things like every time you pass a terminal with the bracelet on etc.

Well that’s what we’d like to think… all evidence to the contrary. Hmmm fire the lot of them.

Anyway – this is a scary letter! I have a feeling this will go a long way in directing the assessment of the program and may play a part in its demise.

I am not really crazy about the bracelets including a lot of personal info, but I do like the idea of having tickets, PS info and room key on them. It would be nice to not have to carry anything at the parks, and I don’t see a problem with having a room charge feature without credit card info included.

The letter is real. It is linked directly off of his web site.

Markey to Disney: Kid-Tracking Bracelet Raises Privacy Questions | Congressman Ed Markey, Massachusetts 5th District

I have to agree. And what prevents indenity theves from stealing the data? WAY too many questions for this right now.

Interesting and the Congressman brings up some great points. I can see where you could tailor the images seen while in a waiting que based on your age and activities up to that point. This could be good as a way of increasing the entertainment factor or bad as a way to do targeted advertising.

I worry more about the data being hacked then anything else. My credit cards already contain way more info then I would like!

-Harry

Now where did I leave that roll of tin foil…

[QUOTE=MissDisney;1128868]Anyway – this is a scary letter! I have a feeling this will go a long way in directing the assessment of the program and may play a part in its demise.

.[/QUOTE]

And that would be just fine with me.

I don’t think it’s a scary letter - I think the letter raises very legitimate points that should be answered.

I think the letter is excellent and I believe all of us have a legitimate entitlement to know the answers to the queries raised. I find the whole MagicBracelet+ idea quite disturbing. That is an awful lot of data being collected for a supposed Disney vacation experience.

Just the thought of someone having a scanning or reading device in a backpack that could pull the data is my main concern.

…its all about marketing—and I don’t think it swings much to the side of our benefit…

…wasn’t there something about a survey they were asking people to take once—where you agreed to record everything you did and every place you went during the day in the parks? I seem to remember discussing that on here somewhere…

[QUOTE=smallworld;1128886]…its all about marketing—and I don’t think it swings much to the side of our benefit…
[/QUOTE]

Oh, so true. I snicker every time I read the Disney party line about how this new system is for the benefit of their guests! :laugh:

Yeah, it might work out for us… or it might not. We’ll see.

The bracelet only has an ID code in it that only make sense to Disney’s information system. If someone scanned it it would only be of value if they were attached to the Disney system that knew what it meant.

Most of the other info being worried about here is already gathered and stored so no new ground is being broken that way.

I am out right now but when I get home I will tell you all about a couple projects I have worked on and have been used and expanded since…trust me mymagic+ is nothing compared to what you have collected on you right this very second.