Using International Cell Phones

I have a Blackberry from a Canadian carrier that is unlocked. When I travel I usually switch out my SIM card for one from a carrier in the country I’m in. I’ve never bothered to do this in the US cause I don’t find the roaming that bad, but I would like to give it a try this upcoming trip to see how much I’ll actually save. Is there a store at MCO I can pick up a SIM card or somewhere in DTD? Which provider do you recommend I get a SIM from? Thanks in advance! :happy:

I’m sorry I can’t help even though I’m an international my charges are extortionate. I have to switch off international roaming as the roaming charges are mega high. I just have to find some wi fi and use my Ipod touch to connect to home via the web- or use the good old fashioned pay phones!
Even in Europe its not a good idea to use your phone unless you get a European sim card- nightmare!

[QUOTE=dixie;1083196]I’m sorry I can’t help even though I’m an international my charges are extortionate. I have to switch off international roaming as the roaming charges are mega high. I just have to find some wi fi and use my Ipod touch to connect to home via the web- or use the good old fashioned pay phones!
Even in Europe its not a good idea to use your phone unless you get a European sim card- nightmare![/QUOTE]

You would think in this day an age for something that has become such a necessity, it wouldn’t be such a killer to be able to use it when you leave home turf!

I have never switched providers. We did get a rooming and even that was pricey. Because of where I live and the weak Rogers signal I receive by the boarder I get switched over to rooming. Almost made a call but noticed that little R for rooming once. One thing that you may like to do is get a disposable phone. My MIL did that last time she was down for a long time. They are a reasonable price in her mind and come with a charger and some time on them. Now if you have apps that you really like and want on your phone then this may not be ideal.

Yeah, was thinking about disposible, but I really want to be able to stay in touch using my Blackberry BBM, its the most convenient. I’ll have to check onlnie to see if I can find the nearest mobility vendor to get a SIM card from. Not too keen on ordering one over the Internet.