Verrrrry Special Birthday Lunch at WDW?

OK, I started another thread earlier asking what you all thought of The Coral Reef. I booked a table there for my birthday for lunch. We are hoping to book tickets for the 6pm show of Cirque du Soleil that day so I thought a sit down lunch would be a good idea.
But having read the few responses, plus the thread of “Places I never want to Eat at Again” I’m thinking I may have made an error.
An alternative would be the 50’s Prime Time Cafe I guess?
I have made an evening booking at Whispering Canyon for another day as the reviews seemed to suggest that dinner would be better than lunch there. So I could swap that booking and do that on my birthday for lunch instead.
Go ahead and give me your opinions on how I could make the whole day, from waking to bedtime super super special.
We are planning on visiting Sea World one day, so I think perhaps a meal by their tanks might be more special there actually, so I think I’ve definitely talked myself into cancelling Coral Reef already! And I thought I was so organised :blush:

Well, I would pick 50’s PTC over Coral Reef 1000%. It’s delicious, it’s a neat atmosphere and the servers reallllllly get interactive with you! It’s a lot of fun as a family. Great for a sit down lunch. Although, it is usually pretty busy/hectic in there. And sometimes theres a wait, especially if you are a larger party. But it’s a great place! Especially for birthdays, I celebrated mine there last year!

Is there a certain park you are trying to eat in, or could the suggestions be for anywhere? I just wanna make better suggestions for you guys specifically. tAlso, may I ask how many are in your party. Being in a large party myself, I can definitely tell you which places just don’t work that well for 8+.

Hope to help! Good luck!

I wouldn’t say the food at Coral Reef is bad…mostly it’s just that for the prices you are paying, it’s not up to the hype. If you get a table by the acquariums, it is lovely. We’ve never eaten lunch there, only dinner. I’ve had worse food - it was just sort of “meh”.

Prime Time can be a lot of fun if you’re up for interacting with the servers and if you get a good server. If you get a dud, then you can feel sort of left out. The food is basically pretty good - nothing fancy - “comfort food”.

A super birthday day? hmmm…well, wake up, make sure everyone makes a big fuss over you, presents are always good. Then I’d head to Kona Cafe for the one of the best breakfasts you’re going to get at WDW. Order the Tonga Toast - what the heck - its your birthday! After breakfast you can take time to wander around the Poly - it’s one of the loveliest resorts at WDW. Take the monorail to the MK and get your Birthday Button. You might not think so, but it’s nice to have everyone wishing you a happy birthday! Try some of the lessor-known but fun things, like riding the People Mover and taking in Mickey’s Philharmagic. Visit Snow White’s Wishing Well by the Castle - it’s such a quiet little place - and make a birthday wish. Make sure you don’t miss the Pirate Tutorial. OK - he’s not Johnny Depp - but he’s sure not hard on the eyes. AND it’s so much fun. If the Liberty Belle is open, take a ride. You’ll get to see a whole other side of the MK. Or take the train, right around the whole MK. To tide you over till lunch, stop for a Dole Whip in Adventureland or ice cream on Main Street. Browse through all the shops.

When it’s time for lunch, take the monorail over to Epcot. Personally I love lunch at Chefs de France. Tell them it’s your birthday and hope to get a seat in the window. You can sit and people watch and maybe, if you’re really lucky, Remy will visit your table to wish you bonne fete! Remember to order wine! You might want to pop into the shops in France and choose some lovely bubblebath.

Take in the World Showcase shows; and street entertainment. Because you’ll be missing dinner, pick up a light snack (or heavy snack or whatever you want) in one of the countries, before you head back to OKW.

Have a swim in one of the quiet pools at the resort or sink into the whirlpool tub in your suite. (a glass of wine is good here).

Enjoy Cirque de Soleil. It is magical. Once the show is over, find your way to Raglan Road for dessert (RR really knows how to create some great desserts) and a beverage and enjoy the Irish entertainment.

Stroll over to the Marketplace for some shopping. You don’t have to buy anything - or you could buy yourself something terrific. Take the ferry back to OKW.

If the night is beautiful, pour yourself a glass of wine and take it out to the patio. (you can really stretch out on the OKW patios), relax and look forward to your next fun day at WDW. (or SeaWorld - best chocolate cake in the universe; or Universal and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter). Happy Birthday.

[QUOTE=llama;1066693]I wouldn’t say the food at Coral Reef is bad…mostly it’s just that for the prices you are paying, it’s not up to the hype. If you get a table by the acquariums, it is lovely. We’ve never eaten lunch there, only dinner. I’ve had worse food - it was just sort of “meh”.

Prime Time can be a lot of fun if you’re up for interacting with the servers and if you get a good server. If you get a dud, then you can feel sort of left out. The food is basically pretty good - nothing fancy - “comfort food”.

A super birthday day? hmmm…well, wake up, make sure everyone makes a big fuss over you, presents are always good. Then I’d head to Kona Cafe for the one of the best breakfasts you’re going to get at WDW. Order the Tonga Toast - what the heck - its your birthday! After breakfast you can take time to wander around the Poly - it’s one of the loveliest resorts at WDW. Take the monorail to the MK and get your Birthday Button. You might not think so, but it’s nice to have everyone wishing you a happy birthday! Try some of the lessor-known but fun things, like riding the People Mover and taking in Mickey’s Philharmagic. Visit Snow White’s Wishing Well by the Castle - it’s such a quiet little place - and make a birthday wish. Make sure you don’t miss the Pirate Tutorial. OK - he’s not Johnny Depp - but he’s sure not hard on the eyes. AND it’s so much fun. If the Liberty Belle is open, take a ride. You’ll get to see a whole other side of the MK. Or take the train, right around the whole MK. To tide you over till lunch, stop for a Dole Whip in Adventureland or ice cream on Main Street. Browse through all the shops.

When it’s time for lunch, take the monorail over to Epcot. Personally I love lunch at Chefs de France. Tell them it’s your birthday and hope to get a seat in the window. You can sit and people watch and maybe, if you’re really lucky, Remy will visit your table to wish you bonne fete! Remember to order wine! You might want to pop into the shops in France and choose some lovely bubblebath.

Take in the World Showcase shows; and street entertainment. Because you’ll be missing dinner, pick up a light snack (or heavy snack or whatever you want) in one of the countries, before you head back to OKW.

Have a swim in one of the quiet pools at the resort or sink into the whirlpool tub in your suite. (a glass of wine is good here).

Enjoy Cirque de Soleil. It is magical. Once the show is over, find your way to Raglan Road for dessert (RR really knows how to create some great desserts) and a beverage and enjoy the Irish entertainment.

Stroll over to the Marketplace for some shopping. You don’t have to buy anything - or you could buy yourself something terrific. Take the ferry back to OKW.

If the night is beautiful, pour yourself a glass of wine and take it out to the patio. (you can really stretch out on the OKW patios), relax and look forward to your next fun day at WDW. (or SeaWorld - best chocolate cake in the universe; or Universal and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter). Happy Birthday.[/QUOTE]

Janice I want to spend my birthday with you- those plans are just fabulous:flowers:

Wow,
That day sounds fantastic Llama!
The Disney button that you speak of, is that different to the birthday pin I can collect from the OKW reception desk? Or are they one and the same?
StaceyDarling, thank you also for your suggestions. There are six of us in our party, and I love the look of the liitle 50’s areas with TV’s, but I have a feeling, looking at photographs, that 6 may be too many for that area? Do you know?
In answer to your question, as we are away for 16 nights, we have lots of time, and absolutely nothing planned that day except Cirque du Soleil, so we can travel anywhere on the Disney transport.
Raglan Road sounds like a great idea after the circus too! I shall print out the above and refer to it later!!!
If anyone else can add any further suggestions, all gratefully accepted.
This is going to be my best birthday ever! Thank you!

PS
What’s the People Mover?
And the Pirate tutorial?
I’ve never heard of them.

[QUOTE=Lindat;1066707]PS
What’s the People Mover?
And the Pirate tutorial?
I’ve never heard of them.[/QUOTE]

The People Mover is an elevated “train” that goes around and in and out of the attractions in Tomorrowland. Granted, it doesn’t sound too exciting, but there’s just something fun about it. You get to relax, put your feet up and just enjoy watching Tomorrowland from above. One of those “sleeper” rides that everyone likes.

The Pirate Tutorial takes place at various times in Adventureland, across from Pirates of the Caribbean. Captain Jack and his crew instruct the crowds in proper pirate behaviour and at the end you all, of course, are made honorary pirates. It’s just silly and corny and fun. And the actors are really good - you’d swear it really was Captain Jack Sparrow. Check the guide for times. And yes, if you’re getting a button at OKW it will be the same as the one you get in the parks.

We have done a table of 8 at 50’s PTC. Now the food is just good old “stick to your ribs” home style cooking. But if you get into the mood with the CM it will be a hoot for the whole gang. Just don’t warn them ahead of time to keep their elbows off the table. And heven help the person who does not finish their food. Or even worse spill a drink.

Yes, we’ve had more than 6 at a kitchen table. But when we all go (12 or so) we usually get a big corner booth. It’s so much fun! They let you play trivia games and races with the tables near you (referred to as your ‘cousins’) The waiter or waitress assumes the role of your mom, dad, uncle, sister, aunt, something along those lines and takes the authority role. You better clean your plate, you even get a sticker! Also, you’ll enjoy some light razzing and funny banter! And interested in dessert? You get to look at the dessert menu selections through a good old fashioned viewmaster! This is a very fun place, especially for celebrating.

Other places we’ve had an exceptional birthday/celebration experience. Alot of people don’t like Tony’s Town Square or say it’s not special, but every single time we’ve gone there, they have gone above and beyond to make our celebration special! Free desserts, beautiful cakes, and EVERY time we’ve celebrated there, we’ve gotten a free present. On my 16th bday I got a special edition Tinkerbell pin. On my mom and dad’s 30th anniversary they got Mickey and Minnie bride and grooms hats, and they seranaded them. They have always made our dining experience special. While I agree with everyone, the food isn’t SPECTULAR, I don’t think it’s bad either. But it’s a nice place to celebrate, plus if you time it right, you can catch the 3 o’clock parade before after or during!

Other than those places, I’d say the Biergarten made my brothers bday dinner pretty special. We went when it wasn’t the dinner show going on. All the waitresses and waiters came over and were talking to us, asking us about our vacation, congratulating my brother on being 20. They all sang to him, took a family photo of us and with us and gave him a wonderful card! It was great!

We’ve celebrated atleast… 25 birthdays or anniversarys in WDW and at a variety of restaurants. But those are the three that I think truly made it special for us. The rest just did the normal cake/cupcake, sing and generic signed card thing! Which are still nice, but not special!

Hopefully that helped, and sorry, I have a tendency to ramble… haha. :blush:

Thanks for rambling. I love ramblers!
The more info the better.
I think that 50’s place is going to be the one I’ll choose.
It sounds perfect for 4 kinds likely to put their elbows on the tables, I can hardly wait!!!
Do you think a corner booth is better than a tv area then in your opinion?
I’m a little sad to cancel the lunch I had booked at Coral Reef, but looking at the menu, I just don’t think my younger kids will be that keen on it.
I’m enjoying planning this trip I think as much as I’ll enjoy being there!
Thank you all for your help.
I love MouseBuzz. So glad I found it.

Well, the kitchens are so much fun because, obviously, they look cute! But the whole restaurant is themed. You may get better pictures for memories in a kitchen, but the corner booths are great too! There’s tvs playing old sitcoms everywhere. And you are just as immersed in the atmosphere as you would be in a kitchen. This restaurant is just all around a fun time.

And honestly, I think this is the most consistent restaurant I’ve ever eaten at in WDW. In my experience atleast. We’ve always gotten the same great interaction with the CM’s. The same great food. And the same great fun, each and every time!

Have a great time where ever you chose!
And I know, plans half the fun!!! :blush: