Villas @ Grand Californian... here we come!

It’s been a while since I’ve been on MB sorry to say. I miss this place :laugh:.
You know how life just sometimes pulls you away from these places:frown:. I’m back for a little bit, gotta catch up on my Disney info and stories:laugh: Anywhoo…we have exciting news…

It’s official we just booked a five night stay in a one bedroom villa at the Grand Californian. We will be staying there April 11th through April 16th.

I’m sooo excited. We love Disneyland so very much but have only been one other time and decided to stay at the Disneyland Hotel then.

I know my way around Disneyland pretty well but if anyone has some good tips for restaurants, other than Blue Bayou cause we will definitely be there one night for dinner please share. Or any other news or tips would also be cool.

Were going to drive from Vegas to So Cal so there will be no airports involved.

I was curious if there are any new rides or features that have arrived or changed since July 2008.

I guess that’s all for now but I’m sure I will have more questions and I know just where to come:laugh:.

Also curious about crowd levels this time of year.

[QUOTE=Toriadavis;1011670]It’s been a while since I’ve been on MB sorry to say. I miss this place :laugh:.
You know how life just sometimes pulls you away from these places:frown:. I’m back for a little bit, gotta catch up on my Disney info and stories:laugh: Anywhoo…we have exciting news…

It’s official we just booked a five night stay in a one bedroom villa at the Grand Californian. We will be staying there April 11th through April 16th.

I’m sooo excited. We love Disneyland so very much but have only been one other time and decided to stay at the Disneyland Hotel then.

I know my way around Disneyland pretty well but if anyone has some good tips for restaurants, other than Blue Bayou cause we will definitely be there one night for dinner please share. Or any other news or tips would also be cool.

Were going to drive from Vegas to So Cal so there will be no airports involved.

I was curious if there are any new rides or features that have arrived or changed since July 2008.

I guess that’s all for now but I’m sure I will have more questions and I know just where to come:laugh:.[/QUOTE]
Awesome, you will love the Villas, they’re very nice!
A restaurant I would suggest for a special dinner would be the Napa Rose Restaurant in the Grand Californian, its a very nice restaurant, has great food and awesome views/atmosphere and its right in the hotel property, perfect!
As for changes, as you know, DCA is undergoing a 1.1 Billion dollar Renovation, so there is a lot going on in the park right now, tons actually. When you go, the Silly Symphony Swings should be done (formerly the Orange Stinger), New rock work has been added to Paradise Bay along with new Light Houses (in front of Mickey’s Fun Wheel), Paradise Park (World of Color viewing park) will be done, and World of Color should be doing soft previews by then too, Games of the Boardwalk are done, Mickey’s Fun Wheel is done, the SS Rustworthy is gone, The Little Mermaid Attraction is under construction along with Carsland, San Francisco District got some nice plussing, the Red Trolley Lines and Tracks are currently being installed in Hollywood Pictures Backlot and the new pathway to connect A Bugs Land and Tower of Terror is being worked on. The new Entrance will be starting to go under construction soon, etc etc etc, so much going on, but you will have a great time regardless! Be sure to check out the Blue Sky Cellar is the Golden State section of DCA to see and learn about all of the changes going on at DCA. The Disneyland Hotel is also being completely remodeled as well, you will see the new design when you go, the Dream tower (tower facing DTD) is half done.
As for crowds, it will be busy, since April is prime Spring Break time, but it should not be packed like you would find it to be in Mid July.
Have a great time and enjoy yourself!

The Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel are fantastic.

Have a great stay!

Goofy’s Kitchen is one of the best character meals located in DL Hotel. Next to GK is Steakhouse 55. Pricey but good.

Storytellers Cafe in GC is pretty good. We’ve eaten there several times. We haven’t eaten at Napa Rose yet, but if Samantha Brown loved it, it must be good.

Best coffee is Compass Book Store located across from ESPN Zone, which is also a good place to eat in DTD.

Also in DTD is Rainforest Cafe which we always seem to find our way into. Tortilla Jo’s is good Mexican food also in DTD.

There are more places to eat, but those are our favorites.

Have a great trip!!!

Have fun. I saw video of the rooms there and it looks lovely!

anaheim boy- Thanks for all the great info. You have all the answers it seems-just like the magic of Disney:laugh:.

We will definitely be on the lookout for all those changes. I have been wanting to go to Napa Rose since Samantha Brown showcased it and just didn’t get the chance when we were there in '08. I will make that one a priority this time.

I was thinking that April would be spring break time so I was somewhat expecting that answer but it’s good to get the confirmation from an insider. As long as it’s a bit better than the mid July crowds I will be ecstatic.

I hope the weather is a bit better too. When we went last time it was right before that big quake and it seemed insanely hot and humid to me. And that’s saying a lot for me coming for Las Vegas:laugh:. I swear they had something to do with one another (can you tell I’m a native Californian).

Thanks again and please let me know if anything else new arrives before then-I will keep checking back on this post.

[QUOTE=evansfmly5;1011816]Goofy’s Kitchen is one of the best character meals located in DL Hotel. Next to GK is Steakhouse 55. Pricey but good.

Storytellers Cafe in GC is pretty good. We’ve eaten there several times. We haven’t eaten at Napa Rose yet, but if Samantha Brown loved it, it must be good.

Best coffee is Compass Book Store located across from ESPN Zone, which is also a good place to eat in DTD.

Also in DTD is Rainforest Cafe which we always seem to find our way into. Tortilla Jo’s is good Mexican food also in DTD.

There are more places to eat, but those are our favorites.

Have a great trip!!![/QUOTE]

Thanks evansfmly for the suggestions. We will be sure to keep them in mind. I love to go for coffee so knowing that Compass has good coffee is awesome.

We always seem to end up at Rainforest Cafe too-I guess because it’s almost always a reliable place with a wide variety of food choices for whatever you might feel like.

I think this time though we are going to try to hit all new places with the exception of Blue Bayou. I know some people are not fond of it but we love it.

Thanks again for the input, it’s greatly appreciated:smile:

We are so excited to stay in these rooms. I think if we just got to stay at the hotel and explore for the week we would be happy. DL and DCA are just an added bonus for us.

We will do a trip report so everyone can see our view of the room.

[QUOTE=Toriadavis;1011855]anaheim boy- Thanks for all the great info. You have all the answers it seems-just like the magic of Disney:laugh:.

I hope the weather is a bit better too. When we went last time it was right before that big quake and it seemed insanely hot and humid to me.
Thanks again and please let me know if anything else new arrives before then-I will keep checking back on this post.[/QUOTE]

Haha, after having worked for Disney for nearly 4 years I to this day make sure I stay up to date on everything that goes on within the company, especially DLR…a bit OCD I suppose, but hey, I love my Disney! April weather in Anaheim is generally always lovely, cool in the mornings and evenings and usually very pleasant during the day, so that should not be an issue for you there, I would suggest taking a light sweater though for the evenings, just in case - I have gone during the spring time before and it was freezing in the evenings and I have gone other times and it was just cooler. Any new info that comes up or that I find out, I will definitely post it you keep you up to date! :smile:

Thanks again for the info. Good to know that the evenings can be cool sometimes.
P.S. I’m glad you keep up with the info otherwise who could help me:laugh: