Vinylmania?

I never really looked at these little vinylmania things till the other day when DD asked me to take her to the new disney store, she wanted to look at them and buy some…
what is the huge deal w/them? I mean they are cute, but i can’t justify spending what, 10.95 or 12.95 on them…I told her its not in our budget and if she wanted to go to Disney next year, I can’t start spending money on them… I kinda felt bad:sad:
They are just collectible things right? like snow globes?

Don’t feel bad, pixiemom. I don’t see the appeal in vinylmation either. And I have never seen any in our Disney stores in MD, so I’m not sure you can buy them anywhere but the parks… Maybe she can save her own money/allowance to buy one on the trip for herself? Nothin like a hard-earned reward!

Seriously though, don’t feel bad for being a money-wise momma! When we went to WDW waaaaaay back in the day, my mom made us bag lunches and frowned upon ‘stupid’ souvenirs, like the light-up roses that they still sell today. Well I finally bought myself one 4 years ago because I got tired of waiting for a boy to do it, and I love my mom to death so I think it worked out alright. :laugh:

[QUOTE=Screever;1044277]Don’t feel bad, pixiemom. I don’t see the appeal in vinylmation either. And I have never seen any in our Disney stores in MD, so I’m not sure you can buy them anywhere but the parks… Maybe she can save her own money/allowance to buy one on the trip for herself? Nothin like a hard-earned reward!

Seriously though, don’t feel bad for being a money-wise momma! When we went to WDW waaaaaay back in the day, my mom made us bag lunches and frowned upon ‘stupid’ souvenirs, like the light-up roses that they still sell today. Well I finally bought myself one 4 years ago because I got tired of waiting for a boy to do it, and I love my mom to death so I think it worked out alright. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Thank you!!!
They just revamped our Disney store so this is the first time I am actually seeing them in the store myself…

I am like your mom to thou, I really rather them spending their souvenir money on good things, sorry…this year they all got chores to do, and with their allowance they put it in their special Disney piggy banks (we are using those Disney popcorn buckets we got 2 trips ago) i told them either they put all their allowance in there or they put half in their Disney bank and half in there every day piggy bank…and when we go next trip they can use whatever money they saved for ANYTHING they want, silly or not:wink:

I don’t see it either and my son has some. He has a dozen or more of those over-priced hunks of plastic. That’s all he wanted to buy this year so he got a set of 6 for his big gift during our trip and several more during the week. He also took two doubles he needed to trade.

Even though I wouldn’t collect them I think some are cute. My son got a set of condiments that are actually pretty cute.

I saw they had pins on ebay, maybe i can see if DD wants to collect them rather then the actual toy itself, the pins are cheaper to, couple of bucks…we’ll see.

The pins are smaller, too. I learned at a fairly early age that collecting very small things saves space. Aka my pressed penny collection, so far, fits in one little change purse!

yes…good point, I am def. all about space saving in my house, esp. with 4 kids under 8 years old

Having seen both in person I don’t think the pins are the same as the vinylmation, they don’t capture it. Maybe see if she wants fewer vinylmation to equal the price of the pins.

Well I just asked her about the pins and she went nuts on me, she said she doesn’t want to collect them she just wants to play with them, i refuse to buy any thing else for her to play with, and then it just sits there in her room like her 10 American girl dolls that she has…soooooooooo in the end, if she wants them that bad, she will be allowed to use her own money and buy 2 of them.

I’m sorry if I sound heartless, its just that the economy is so rough and with just DH working its hard to buy them every little thing they want w/out thinking of it as being a waste of money, kwim?

I feel terrible!!!

[QUOTE=pixeemom;1044298]Well I just asked her about the pins and she went nuts on me, she said she doesn’t want to collect them she just wants to play with them, i refuse to buy any thing else for her to play with, and then it just sits there in her room like her 10 American girl dolls that she has…soooooooooo in the end, if she wants them that bad, she will be allowed to use her own money and buy 2 of them.

I’m sorry if I sound heartless, its just that the economy is so rough and with just DH working its hard to buy them every little thing they want w/out thinking of it as being a waste of money, kwim?

I feel terrible!!![/QUOTE]

I didn’t mean to upset you with my post and I didn’t mean to imply you were heartless, that wasn’t my intent.

oh no no no hun you didn’t imply that at all trust me!!!
and you def. didn’t upset me!!! Its all good sweetie!!!:flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:
omgoodness I hope I didn’t make my post sound like that!!
By all means you didn’t do anything wrong!!!
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Its just that me and DH try to teach our kids that you have to work hard for money and that you have to try and think before spending, I know they are prob. too young to understand that, but she is now 8 so we think she should be learning the value of money now, kwim?

[QUOTE=pixeemom;1044301]oh no no no hun you didn’t imply that at all trust me!!!
and you def. didn’t upset me!!! Its all good sweetie!!!:flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:
omgoodness I hope I didn’t make my post sound like that!!
By all means you didn’t do anything wrong!!!
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Its just that me and DH try to teach our kids that you have to work hard for money and that you have to try and think before spending, I know they are prob. too young to understand that, but she is now 8 so we think she should be learning the value of money now, kwim?[/QUOTE]

Oh, good I was worried you thought I was thinking you were heartless.

I understand trying to teach the value of a dollar, it’s an important lesson in life. Kids want what they want when they want it and delaying or being told no is a hard lesson. She will love the Vinylmation she buys with her own money, they will be even more important to her.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1044302]Oh, good I was worried you thought I was thinking you were heartless.

I understand trying to teach the value of a dollar, it’s an important lesson in life. Kids want what they want when they want it and delaying or being told no is a hard lesson. She will love the Vinylmation she buys with her own money, they will be even more important to her.[/QUOTE]

yes its all good hun trust me!!!

and you’re right, if she buys it with her money it will be more important to her…
after she calms down i’ll tell her she can but with her own money.
thank you!!!:flowers::flowers::flowers:

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1044302]Oh, good I was worried you thought I was thinking you were heartless.

I understand trying to teach the value of a dollar, it’s an important lesson in life. Kids want what they want when they want it and delaying or being told no is a hard lesson. She will love the Vinylmation she buys with her own money, they will be even more important to her.[/QUOTE]

so Stephanie, wouldn’t you know, DD calmed down said she was sorry, and then asked me if she can see what the pins look like, so we were just browsing on EBAY, she loves the pins now, lol :biggrin:

My DDs LOVE these and are addicted. They are only $9.95 in the park, and they have them on display in their rooms (in cases, purchased from Container Store NOT the ones Disney sells)

Anyway - the best part is it used to be blind box only and you got what you got, period. BUT now you can trade them in the parks, so they like to do that, makes it a little more fun. :smile:

They can be played with, and a CM even showed us how you can mix and match bodies and heads - but they are “collectables” so if you ever do want to resell them you should treat them that way.

I stick them in their Christmas Stocking, I put a few in the Easter baskets, etc. They are a “treat” for sure - but it still fun to get the surprise of “what did you get?”

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;1044312]My DDs LOVE these and are addicted. They are only $9.95 in the park, and they have them on display in their rooms (in cases, purchased from Container Store NOT the ones Disney sells)

Anyway - the best part is it used to be blind box only and you got what you got, period. BUT now you can trade them in the parks, so they like to do that, makes it a little more fun. :smile:

They can be played with, and a CM even showed us how you can mix and match bodies and heads - but they are “collectables” so if you ever do want to resell them you should treat them that way.

I stick them in their Christmas Stocking, I put a few in the Easter baskets, etc. They are a “treat” for sure - but it still fun to get the surprise of “what did you get?”[/QUOTE]

thats a pretty neat idea to easter baskets, xmas stocking, thank you!!!

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;1044290]I don’t see it either and my son has some. He has a dozen or more of those over-priced hunks of plastic. That’s all he wanted to buy this year so he got a set of 6 for his big gift during our trip and several more during the week. He also took two doubles he needed to trade.

Even though I wouldn’t collect them I think some are cute. My son got a set of condiments that are actually pretty cute.[/QUOTE]

WOW!! This set on disneyshopping.com sells for $89.95 can you buy them individually? My DDs want them but I said NO WAY too much $$$.

lol holy canoli!!!:nuke:

We only saw them as a set of 6. I know nothing about these silly little things but after we bought them I saw “Limited Edition Set 2000.” That means nothing to me but it may to the serious collector.

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;1044312]

I stick them in their Christmas Stocking, I put a few in the Easter baskets, etc. They are a “treat” for sure - but it still fun to get the surprise of “what did you get?”[/QUOTE]

That’s what we did. Nate got 4 for Christmas and a few in his Easter basket this year. He got some doubles so he packed them and traded them for ones he didn’t have. While we were there this summer we picked up a few for Christmas.