Wagon instead of stroller?

My DD seems to think that a wagon would be better than a stroller for my DGD who will be 3 1/2 when we go to WDW. I can’t imagine a wagon on the buses :confused: Has anyone used or seen a wagon in the parks or buses?

Are there any personal items I should not bring with me into the Theme Parks?

A. Items that you may not bring into the Theme Parks include, but are not limited to:

Items with wheels, such as wagons, skateboards, scooters, inline skates, shoes with built-in wheels, two-wheeled or three-wheeled conveyances, strollers larger than 36" x 52", suitcases, coolers, or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" long x 15" wide x 18" high (coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations), and any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV wheelchair or stroller

Thanks Lexie! I didn’t think about a wagon being prohibited. I just thought it would be unmanageable on the buses.

I would also think it would be easier for your DGD to get lost, as if your DD is pulling the wagon, and DGD sees something she likes, there would be a possibility of her getting out of the wagon, behind Mom and going exploring.

I was going to tell you that it probably wouldn’t be a good idea anyway, because when the parks get crowded (and trying to get out of MK at night, etc…) it would be a lot harder to drag a wagon behind you, rather than push a stroller in front of you. When the crowds get really bad, they don’t care who they push or get in between, and it would be very easy for people to just get in between you and the wagon.

I haven’t seen that at the parks, but in my neighborhood. Mom stops to look before crossing the street and the little one starts to climb out.

The idea of Madalynn getting lost or seperated from us terrifies me!!! I obviously didn’t think the whole wagon idea through!!! Many years ago we went with my sister and her family with her 6 & 4 yr old and 3 yr old twins, I was in charge of one of the twins who was not in a stroller and was too big to hold my hand - I walked backwards for a week LOL! The twin wandered to the side of the path to stop and look at a toy - I went directly to him and redirected him - in a matter of maybe 30 seconds we were already seperated from our group - they were no where in sight. We just stopped and waited for them to notice we were gone and come back for us. The notion of a child being lost in just a few seconds at WDW is very real to me!!!

I know there are people who do not approve of this, but when our daughter was very little, we used a harness to keep her close to us. She was a very high-energy child and would bolt the second we let her out of the stroller.

My son was 6-years-old when we went to WDW the first time and would get distracted by all the stuff going on around him. We had 13 in our group and he would constantly disappear. No matter who we assigned him to, he was missing in just a few minutes (Not far from the group, usually just off to the side, but still!) At the end of the first day (we were at Animal Kingdom) I was already a nervous wreck and so I came up with a plan where I offered each child $5 at the end of each day if Jonathan didn’t get lost. Every time he wandered off I took away $1 from each kid. The second day they each got $2, and every day after that he was with the group. He made sure he was holding someone’s hand and my oldest DD kept him from getting distracted and wandering off. Very helpful.

a wagon would be HORRIBLE. I could not imagine trying to manuever a wagon through wdw. it is something you pull so it behind you…too many things could happen. BAD IDEA - not to mention the looks she will get on the bus - I mean EVERYONE is understanding of strollers on the bus but for those of us who use them - we would hate for someone to push our luck by lugging a wagon in there. BTW, those things get REALLY tiresome to pull after a few hours. BAD, BAD, BAD Idea.

LOL!! I believe you dadofthree!!

I’ve seen people struggle with strollers that could jump start a Peterbuilt. A Wagon would not work. I mean, unless you tied it to the back of the bus and rode in it - that could be pretty fun when you think about it.

(kidding folks - I’m kidding)

[QUOTE=jen9804;1063234]I know there are people who do not approve of this, but when our daughter was very little, we used a harness to keep her close to us. She was a very high-energy child and would bolt the second we let her out of the stroller.

[/QUOTE]

When I took a trip with my then 18 month old DGD, I used one of those harness that look like a monkey or cat or something. When she was with her parents, she was fine. But I always believe it looks bad on the grandparents if the child gets lost, breaks something or otherwise is returned in a damaged state.:laugh:

At one point we were waiting in line at the listen to the land ride. She got away, ducked under the ropes, but I managed to step on the tail on the monkey (harness) to stop her… Boy, did I get a few more gray hairs that day. :laugh:

I also don’t recommend anything bigger than an umbrella stroller for toddlers/kids. Those huge strollers (even collapsed) can block the aisle in the busses and make it hard for people to get by. We’ve always used an umbrella stroller for our kids after the age of 2 and it is SO MUCH easier to deal with.

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;1063251]I’ve seen people struggle with strollers that could jump start a Peterbuilt. A Wagon would not work. I mean, unless you tied it to the back of the bus and rode in it - that could be pretty fun when you think about it.

(kidding folks - I’m kidding)[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:wagon bad unless used like suggested by Boss.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

My oldest 2 children were not high energy, and I used one of the kiddie “leashes” that velcroed around their wrists. By the time my youngest was born, we were glad we were experienced in the art of leashing our children. :laugh: She was a rascal! I remember one time, when she was 3, we were waiting in line for Peter Pan and she kept wanting to dart out of the queue. Harnesses and leashes for children are a must for some kids if you want them to be safe.

Stroller all the way. If she’s worried about bulk etc, just do a bit of research for a great umbrella. My Chicco Ct0.6 is awesome, light, has a carry strap and a huge canopy. It was great, we used that and hung the back pack from it and when we got on the buses dh became the pack mule and threw it across his back w/ the backpack. He was grateful I bought it and did my research. He had been fighting the $60 stroller idea the whole time prior to the trip. “We have a stroller, a cheap umbrella is fine” blah blah.

Wagons would be a bad idea for all the reasons listed. Plus I doubt your arms would appreciate you within a few hours. My arms are never long enough for those dang handles and I end up stooped some and I’m a shorty!

Chicco USA - Ct0.6 Capri - Topazio

there is a velcro tab on either side of the hood, unvelcro them and the hood opens up way more, it does recline a TAD, holds up to 37lbs (though my 50lb 4 yr old sat in it and it still pushed great.)

I already had planned to harness my Tiggerific DGD! We will have to have a bigger stroller as she is already 40 inches and 50 lbs and she won’t be three until next month!! She easily passes for a 4 yr-old. Her mom is 5-10 1/2 and dad is 6-3. Grandads are 6-3 & 6-4. All the umbrella strollers I have seen for over 50 lbs are well over $100. She has a great regular stroller but it is rather big when it is folded :frowning: So, I’m still looking - I hate to spend a lot on a stroller to use for a week, but I want a stroller for the airport and leaving the parks.

Like I said, my 50lb 4 yr old fit fine in the one I mentioned and it still pushed easily enough. The seat doesn’t sag like a cheapo one same with the back. You should have her go out with you and test out some of the less expensive strollers. They have the weight guidelines for many reasons. 1 of them is to keep older big kids out of them so they don’t make them tip when jumping etc. Plus a heavier kid might make it not roll properly. We only bought it for the trip and though we bought it for our then 2 yr old, her 4 yr old sis used it also at the parks. It’s been 2 yrs and it’s still with standing my rugrats.

Another option is to let her walk, she might surprise you and do great. We thought for sure the 4 yr old would be in it more than the 2 times. In the end if she ends up getting tired you could rent a stroller from the park.

:laugh:If you could bring a wagon, I’d still choose a stroller over it. A wagon is just so big! Haha! Some strollers you can fold up, and it wouldnt take up as much room. Although I wouldn’t want to bring either; too much things to bring around the park!:laugh:

:laugh:If you could bring a wagon, I’d still choose a stroller over it. A wagon is just so big! Haha! Some strollers you can fold up, and it wouldnt take up as much room. Although I wouldn’t want to bring either; too much things to bring around the park!:laugh::blush: