Waiting on ROFR is killing me


On Jan 7th, my BCV contract went to Disney for ROFR. We still have not heard anything. The wait is absolutely killing me. This is worse than waiting for a trip because right now I don’t know if I will have to start over–if I do, I will have to rent points for our trip this year and then rent out the points when we finally do get a contract that passes–or if we will own a piece of BCV. I know that every Christmas we will be at Disney, so at least I am just waiting for time to go by until the next trip. Unfortunately, I don’t know what the ROFR outcome will be.

12 days seems so long. I know they told me it could take up to 30 days, but I just want to know!

Thanks for letting me vent. :smile:


I see!

I had heard of this happening before, so we went through DVC for a sold-out resort. I understand that sometimes the wait is long, and I have heard of really low-priced contracts being turned down.


I know how you feel. When we bought BCV through DVC we were told it could take up to a year to get our points. It ended up being only 3 months but the first few weeks felt like forever even though we weren’t in a hurry. I hope your contract goes through so you don’t have to start all over.


what is ROFR?


I believe it means Right Of First Refusal. (Somebody correct me if I got that wrong!) It’s when a DVC contract is sent to Disney for approval; it’s basically part of the buy-in process. I can’t imagine how excruciating it is to wait!! Poor Pooh Fan! :sad:


Right of First Refusal. Disney has the option to buy back any points at the agreed on price. It’s a way to make sure points don’t sell for too little.


I feel like I am dying and they told me the longest I have to wait is 30 days. I can’t imagine 3 months. I am checking my email a million times a day to see if there is anything from The Time Share Store.

It is probably best that the next week at work will be really busy so that I won’t have so much time to worry about whther or not we are going to get it.