Walk around the world

K, so I was listening to the Wdwlive radio. There was a recording of the monorail (yeah- por favor)… and it said something about the “walk around the world” that would encircle the 7 seas lagoon- 3 1/2 miles. It said that it was a guest thing. Well I know that there are the bricks right in from of the MK and going towards the buses. Did they discontinue it? Is that the same thing and is it something that I could purchase on my next trip? It is a good idea and I know that there are enough of us to make it go around…

I am not sure if they still do this or not…havent’ heard about it in a long time.

I think you would have trouble getting from the GF to MK. There is a canal inbetween which I don’t think has a pedestrian bridge.

We have a brick on the Walkway around the world. I bought it for my husband’s 40th birthday and as he turns 50 this year it means we have had it almost 10 years. We went to visit with our brick last year and it is still there and still in good nick, unlike many others that had faded and worn.
I was told when I purchased the brick that it only had a 10 year stay, however, I have not heard anything about renewal even though I have contacted Disney about this- I dont think the bricks are available for purchase anymore but they may be???

Disney stopped selling the “Walk Around the World” pavers a long time ago. I have one right in front of the ticket turnstiles but I was lucky enough to get it when I was 16 years old back in 1994. They DO have a refurbishment program where if you already have a paver you can pay to have a new paver put in your location. I did that last year so I could add Daniel to mine. It looks great.

I wonder why they stopped it. It definitely said a 3 and 1/2 mile walkway around 7 seas lagoon… hummmm.

They so need to bring this back again. I want a paver.

I havne’t seed any information lately about new purchases, but the old bricks are still there. I think it would be a huge job to take them out, so until they are all worn out or they plan to re-sell all the space, they are probably staying around for a while :slight_smile:

I wonder why they stopped it. It definitely said a 3 and 1/2 mile walkway around 7 seas lagoon… hummmm.

I wonder if anyone here has ever walked the actual full length of the walkway? I have to be honest & say that for me it was just timing, cause if they would have told me mine was going to be on some random walkway a mile away from the MK gates I probably wouldn’t have bothered. I remember we were staying at Fort Wilderness during Spring Break of '94 and they JUST had started selling them. At first I was bummed that I missed to opportunity to get the gray marble one in center but I am pretty close. :smile:

Ah… this was a plan that never went through all the way. If you look down when you’re on the resort monorail headed from the GF to MK, you’ll notice that there’s a pathway that just stops. That was supposed to connect to the GF but the bridge was never built.

I’m looking at an aerial view of Bay Lake, and it looks like there is a canal of some sort that runs from Bay Lake to the back of Magic Kingdom. My guess is that they need this to transport boats (and maybe floats for the electric light parade? How do they get out?), and that building a bridge over the waterway would block the path.

Satellite view of Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon

I do remember on the morning of my wedding at the poly back in 02 my maid of honor and I had taken a walk from POLY and headed around the lake and towards the wedding pavillion and they were there but they did stop at one point I just cant remember where. I agree I think Disney should bring them back, I was never lucky enough to get one and I wish that I had.

They really do need to bring back the pavers. I want one for my family sooo bad! :smiley:

Ours is by the Ticket and Transportation centre, and its in very good condition considering its age.
I also remember them coming to a stop somewhere and I seem to think it was by the GF wedding area??

[QUOTE=dixie;946702]Ours is by the Ticket and Transportation centre, and its in very good condition considering its age.
I also remember them coming to a stop somewhere and I seem to think it was by the GF wedding area??[/QUOTE]

I’ll keep a look out for yours next time I’m there! hehe.

In my best “down east” Maine accent: “You can’t get there from here”.
For starters, there is no bridge that spans the canal where they store the water pageant barges, so you can only walk that far west from the MK main gates.
On the eastward side, the sidewalk through the tunnel next to the Contemporary isn’t pedestrian friendly and there really isn’t a walkway that connects to the TTC.
From the TTC you can walk past and through the Poly and on to the GF, including the wedding pavilions.
Now, there is no walkway from the GF to the canal and even if there was a walkway, again, there’s no bridge to get over the canal.

As for the bricks, I’m not sure if they are still available as it looks to me like they were all sold out by early 2002 if not much earlier and they only extend to the corner of World Drive where you cross to get to theContemporary.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;945918]
I’m looking at an aerial view of Bay Lake, and it looks like there is a canal of some sort that runs from Bay Lake to the back of Magic Kingdom. My guess is that they need this to transport boats (and maybe floats for the electric light parade? How do they get out?), and that building a bridge over the waterway would block the path.

Satellite view of Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the only traffic out of that canal is for the water pageant.
All of the transport boats are serviced at the WDW Navy Yard on the northeast corner of Bay Lake and all boats sail all the way around from Seven Seas Lagoon across the water bridge and onto Bay Lake where they turn left and head for the navy yard when they clear the channel.

The canal does connect into the waterway that encircles Tom Sawyer Island, but does not continue to the east side of WDW.
If you look at the aerial picture on maps.live.com, you’ll notice there are two steamboats (which is funny because there is only one).
If that steamboat needs servicing, it needs to sail out of the MK and onto SSLagoon and head to the navy yard that way.

sound god…thanks- learn something new every day!

[QUOTE=Soundgod;946749]Pretty much the only traffic out of that canal is for the water pageant.
All of the transport boats are serviced at the WDW Navy Yard on the northeast corner of Bay Lake and all boats sail all the way around from Seven Seas Lagoon across the water bridge and onto Bay Lake where they turn left and head for the navy yard when they clear the channel.

The canal does connect into the waterway that encircles Tom Sawyer Island, but does not continue to the east side of WDW.
If you look at the aerial picture on maps.live.com, you’ll notice there are two steamboats (which is funny because there is only one).
If that steamboat needs servicing, it needs to sail out of the MK and onto SSLagoon and head to the navy yard that way.[/QUOTE]

Whatever. My guess was close enough. :laugh:

[QUOTE=Soundgod;946749]The canal does connect into the waterway that encircles Tom Sawyer Island, but does not continue to the east side of WDW.
If that steamboat needs servicing, it needs to sail out of the MK and onto SSLagoon and head to the navy yard that way.[/QUOTE]

I thought the steamboat was on a track that is under the water and couldn’t go anywhere except back and forth? :confused: